CD-R lifespan
Apr 24, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 25
I just make sure I use good media. Stuff I've been using for quite some time now is Fujifilm branded Taiyo Yuden. Make sure it says 'Made in Japan'. Good stuff; that and Ritek are prolly your best bets.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 24, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 25
I stick to :
-FujiFilm
-Imation
-GQ ( sold at Frys Electronics )

Memorex, Sony, TDK I've had compatibility issues with in my CD deck in the car. They seem to work fine in other players but if it doesn't work in the car where most of my burned discs get played, then I stay away from them.

Also, it depends on YOUR burner and source. My friend uses nothing but Sonys so ymmv.

Apr 24, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by itza2mer
All I know is never, ever buy Memorex.

Memorex gets some of the same media from the same people who may build TDK's and Imation disks.

Taiyo Yuden seems to be the dependable brand - least amount of C1 and C2 errors across most CD burners. Whether or not its from Fuji may not matter, as long they are from Taiyo Yuden. Ritek should be good too. Other brands such as Ricoh and kodak may have solutions that last longer, but I have not found substantial evidence that has proven that they have longer life span than the CD's from Taiyo Yuden or Ritek.

Apr 24, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #6 of 25
Even though compatibility with different players is an important issue, the topic that is discussed here is the longevity of the used by different manufactures dye, therefore the question, which one is better durability wise.

Apr 24, 2004 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 25
I still have some Kodak/Mitsui cds from way back that are still good as new today.

Ricoh's are the cheapest I will use today.

Imation = crap
Ritek = crap
old Verbatim datalife plus = crap (the top comes over over time)
CMC = crap

Apr 24, 2004 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
I just make sure I use good media. Stuff I've been using for quite some time now is Fujifilm branded Taiyo Yuden. Make sure it says 'Made in Japan'. Good stuff; that and Ritek are prolly your best bets.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Well, i depends rather on the specific brand than on the country where it was made. If the brand is famous for it's quality product, I wouldn't hesitate to buy its stuff regardless where the factory is situated. E.g. I have Logitech MX-700 mice (Made in China), Toshiba Satellite M3O laptop (Made in Philippines), etc., etc.

Back to the topic, I had been using Imation CD-Rs for a long time.

Apr 24, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 25
Every CD-R I have, going back to maybe 8 years ago still work perfectly. All these articles surfacing now that CD-R's die after 2 years or something is, well imho, bs. That said I only have "quality" CD-R's like Kodak, Sony, Fuji and Traxdata. Maybe there has been an increase of bad quality CD-R's on the market and that's what's triggering these articles.

Apr 24, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 25
I dug out my two oldest CD-Rs, someone burned them for me in 1997. Copied data off both without any problem. They're Memorex and have been stored in jewel cases for 7 years. The oldest CD-Rs that I burned myself are some no-name blanks (used for data backup) stored in paper sleeves since 1998, those still read fine as well.

I'm not going to worry too much about CD-R durability until I start having problems myself. The horror stories could all be from people who store discs in direct sunlight or a hot car for all I know.

Apr 24, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 25
I had a few Maxell's degrade after about 3-4 years, they'd sometimes skip or not read on my CD player but my CDROM could still read them fine. I ended up reburning everything on Fujifilm discs just to be sure, I have 6-7 year old Fujifilm CDs and all of them are still fine. Old TDKs seem pretty good too, haven't had issues with those either but the new TDK CDRs don't look the same and given how well Fujifilms work I'm not about to switch or take a chance.

Apr 24, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 25
It usually comes down to the manufacturer of the disc, not the brand. Here is my ranking for the best mfrs:

1. Taiyo Yuden
2. Mitsui
3. Mitsubishi
4. Verbatim
5. Yamaha (usually these are Verbatim or Mitsui)
6. Plextor (usually these are Mitsui or Taiyo Yuden)
7. Fuji (these were once exclusively Taiyo Yuden but now some Taiwanese crap is creeping in
frown.gif
)

Apr 24, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctn
I still have some Kodak/Mitsui cds from way back that are still good as new today.

Ricoh's are the cheapest I will use today.

Imation = crap
Ritek = crap
old Verbatim datalife plus = crap (the top comes over over time)
CMC = crap

Some people have stopped using Ritek for the past few years. Apparently they changed there process, but I couldn't find a good consensus to confirm if they are absolute crap or not.

The rumor about imation is that they purchase the leftovers from CMC after TDK and memorex are done.

I never really trusted Memorex. I use to like TDK, but my recent experiences with them have been rather poor. I have been burning coasters with TDK CD's, but maybe I have a bad batch.

If you are paranoid about reliability, try to buy from a wholesaler who purchases the CD-R media directly from the manufacturer instead of purchasing the "hidden surprise in the bag" packages from the retail stores.

Apr 25, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #15 of 25
Here's a good link explaining about CD-Rs. I also has links to other good CD-R sites & surveys.

http://www.dansdata.com/cdrs.htm

edit: here's an excerpt for the column

"Figuring out whether a given brand of disc is good or not is tricky. But it helps to know who actually makes it. It's often not the company whose name's on the label - even in the case of premium discs.

There's a lot of "badge engineering" in the CD-R market - companies making products for other companies to sell under their names. For instance, the most prolific maker of cheap and cheerful CDs, Ritek, is responsible for discs sold under the Arita, BASF, Dysan, FujiFilm, Hi-Space, Intenso, JTEC, Memorex, MegaData, MMore, Onkyo, Philips, Pony, Ricoh, Rimax, Samsung, Targa, TDK, Traxdata and Waitec & War names, if the CD Media World article here is to be believed."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back