CD Questions
Mar 31, 2013 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

daniel0407

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

I have a small set of question for the people here.

1) Is it true that a CD burn in the computer from an original copy, or from a lossless FLAC, can sound better than the original?

2) Can the introduced gap between songs affect the sound in any way, when burning a CD?

3) Does the type of blank CD affects the sound? Or better is just related to durability?

4) How does affect the burning speed the reproduction quality? Lower speeds are better? How slow? (my driver cannot burn below 4x for some reason unknown to me).

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 4
See my answers embedded:

Quote:
Hi everybody,

I have a small set of question for the people here.

1) Is it true that a CD burn in the computer from an original copy, or from a lossless FLAC, can sound better than the original? No.  Identical or worse (if software glitches ,but never better.

2) Can the introduced gap between songs affect the sound in any way, when burning a CD? Only if the original songs blend into each other.  Pink Floyd does this all the time.  The gaps can break the progression and be annoying.  Other than that, should not affect the actual quality of the song at all.

3) Does the type of blank CD affects the sound? Or better is just related to durability?  Only if your burner has issues with certain brands or the player you want to play them in.  You won't know until you find one that doesn't work.  If it plays, then there is no issue.

4) How does affect the burning speed the reproduction quality? Lower speeds are better? How slow? (my driver cannot burn below 4x for some reason unknown to me).  No.  Higher speeds can deplete the buffer and cause the burn to fail.  But, assuming the discs play, there will be no difference between slow or fast burns.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi Jay,

Thanks for your answer.

Regarding question 1 and 4, and have read exact the opposite. In the first case, because the way the comercial CDs are mass produced, could lead to problems that end up in jitter. In the second case, because the Audio CD is not data CD, and small "missalignments" in the laser print could lead again to jitter or other problems.

Any opinion?

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 4
You can burn a cd or press a cd, and both will have the same 1s and 0s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back