CD Player VS Soundcard DAC
Jun 10, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #17 of 28
CD player is just so much more dynamic.  (and probally suffers from  very miniscule jitter compared to the dacs.)

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #18 of 28
Update, going to try out another DAC, 

Arcam rDAC  incoming!!!!
gs1000.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:
I am currently considering whether to get rid of my cd player and get a dac. Morbid toaster suggested the marantz sa 8004 - it has a cd player with optical, coax, and usb ins.  CD player and DAC in one, that could solve your dilemma. 

The bad thing about CDPs is that the transports always break even before you want to upgrade the player. The nice thing about SPDIF inputs is that you can use uncompressed audio with a CDP, and only use the CD transport if you're critically listening (as opposed to listening while multi-tasking) - some CD players have USB inputs but only take compressed audio formats through them.

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #21 of 28
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612491/what-happened-to-the-dedicated-cd-transport

I suspect that this thread is covering much the same ground - end of the day, its going to come down to whether there is a future for CDs as a mass-market format, I am considering buying a turntable because I'm convinced that the LP version of some of my classic albums were superior in every way to the early 80s CD versions - would I be equally willing to buy a CDP ten years from now because some of my digital collection is in lossy formats ? I doubt it - I'm fairly casual about the stuff I don't consider 'the future of rock'n'roll',   
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #22 of 28
I will be picking up the arcam within the next couple hours, impressions soon to come. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #23 of 28
About 2 hours in with the Arcam and I'm finally happy to say Goodbye CD Player!!!!  
gs1000.gif

The Arcam r/dac detail retreival and BASS is apsuletly outstanding.  Very laid back but detailed response without that "bright" cold digital feel.   

Finally satisfaction with a DAC!!!  

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #24 of 28
Ballpark figures, could you give us some idea what it has cost you to get to this point, please ? 

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #25 of 28

Just the cost of the Arcam r/dac ($480), everything I bought and didn't like was returned promptly for a full refund...  

My upgrade's went, HRT Music streamer II, Xonar STX, Emotiva XDA-1, and now the Acam r/dac.  

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #28 of 28
peck 1234 said:

"I have a very basic Sony CD Player on order, 
along with the 

[size=1.4em] [size=1em]ASUS Xonar Essence ST[/size][/size]

Once they arrive I will be comparing both in terms of sound quality and update this thread. "

AND:

"My upgrade's went, HRT Music streamer II, Xonar STX, Emotiva XDA-1, and now the Acam r/dac.  "

So it was an asus essence STX and not ST, (a very common confusion), because nothing
sounds or measures better than ST, (and not STX)!

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back