CD player upgrade question
Jul 2, 2002 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dougli

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of replacing the Toshiba SD-2705 DVD player that I use for headphone listening with a CD player like the Denon DCM-370, but I'm not sure exactly why. I just have this feeling that a better quality (read higher priced) CD player will sound better. I listen to regular CD's; nothing exotic, directly from the DVD player through a Meier Analoguer (which already takes care of some of the digital stuff) and HA-1 amp via decent cables. I'm not sure specifically what, if anything, I'd gain with a CD player like the DCM-370. Technically speaking, what is it about a new unit would give a noticeable difference in sound quality? Can anyone help answer these questions? And if an upgrade is recommended, maybe suggest other CD player choices that are around $300-$500 new?

Thanks,
Doug

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 12
FWIW, I doubt there would be much difference between the Denon and your DVD player. If you want a significant upgrade, you'll have to be prepared to spend more. I know I know "spend more" is *always* the answer. And it's the answer here, too.
biggrin.gif

markl

Jul 4, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 12
Poor thread.
frown.gif

I would recommend the NAD C541i, you can get it through Yawa Audio for $388.00 plus shipping, at least it was when I bought mine. It is new in box however the box has been damaged during shipping. The player is great (Jude will be doing an official review of one in the near future) and Yawa's customer service is first rate.

Jul 4, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks guys. You just kept me from commiting a troublesome mistake. I was heading out to get the DCM-370 this evening. It sounds like it's time to bite the bullet and get out the old wallet. I'll check out the NAD next...

Jul 4, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 12
FWIW, my *general* rule of thumb for upgrades (which of course you can take or leave) is to budget at least twice as much for the upgraded component as I spent on what I have now. That's one way to have some assurance you're buying into something that's in a different class than what you have now. This rule varies from situation to situation, of course.

markl

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 12
I have to agree with Mark, here. When I upgrade, I try to spend twice as much as Mark did in his last upgrade.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 4, 2002 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 12
Har har. So where ya gonna get a $8K headphone, smarty-pants?
cool.gif

markl

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 12
I have two suggestions:

First, I'd consider a Cambridge Audio D500SE. A buddy of mine has one, and it's one of the hidden gems in that price range. Nice, clean, natural sound...less harsh in the upper ranges than most everything else I've heard.

Second, you might consider adding an external DAC (if your Toshiba has a digital audio out). I'm partial to the Link DAC III (which is available for less than $500 new, and even cheaper used). My system is not true audiophile quality (I'm working on it), but I was very pleased with the difference that the Link made in the sound quality.

Good luck...

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 12
Didn't I just see an Orpheus in the "For Sale" forum...and markl didn't pay list for the R10...yes, kelly can do it...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Didn't I just see an Orpheus in the "For Sale" forum...and markl didn't pay list for the R10...yes, kelly can do it...
very_evil_smiley.gif

To truely incur the jealousy of Mark, I am waiting for Sony to release an $8000 headphone.

Jul 4, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I have to agree with Mark, here. When I upgrade, I try to spend twice as much as Mark did in his last upgrade.
very_evil_smiley.gif

And when I upgrade, I try to spend 1/4 as much as Kelly did on his last upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back