cd player suggestions wanted
Jul 4, 2002 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Tim

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking around for a good cd player. I want something that will get more out of my CDs, but isn't totally hi end and expensive. My budget is around $500.

The NAD C541i looks pretty sexy.

Any suggestions??

Jul 5, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 40
Try the Cambridge Audio D500SE...great value for the money. Or, if you are thinking used, think about the Adcom GCD-750.

Jul 5, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 40
I've been trying to answer the same question lately, and it does seem to boil down to these 2 players, which seem to be pretty much neck-to-neck in capabilities.

Jul 5, 2002 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 40
As an aside, I'd be hard pressed to say anything negative about the NAD line. I'm not familiar with their CD players, but I had used their pre-amps, power amps, tape decks (ooohhh...old school) and tuners for years. My buddy swears by them...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 40
If you want something a bit more exotic, why not try one of the tubed CD players like the Njoe Tjoeb 4000 ($579) or Heart CD5000 ($545)?

Jul 6, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 40
Check out www.audiogon.com

and see what's for sale and see what kind of prices you can get. Then, see which ones are for sale that are on your list and buy the one for sale.
wink.gif

Hehe....well, that's how I managed to decide on a source. Much easier to decide this way (as they're all really decent players) and logical as you save a little moola for stuff later down the road.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 40
Tim,

I own the NAD 541. Great no frills, budget component. Also consider uprgrading the RCAs to squeeze out more performance from it.

Fellow Head-fier JMT owns one. PM him for his opinions on it.

Regards - reynman

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 40
I agree with my buddy Rey. The C541i is a great player for the price. Very simple, no frills (unless you call HDCD a frill), and it sounds great. Check out Yawa Audio, I purchased my 541i from them (actually purchased two 541i's from them, but that's a long story). Their prices are excellent and their customer service is top notch.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 40
You can buy a refurbished NAD 541 on Ebay for around $300
I bought mine from spearitsound for $280 about three months ago and I'm very satisfied. They put one on auction almost every week.
This seller also puts them on auctions very often:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1364018659
but I don't know how high their reserve is.

Does someone knows whats the difference between C541 and C541i ?

Jul 7, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by elrod-tom
Try the Cambridge Audio D500SE...great value for the money. Or, if you are thinking used, think about the Adcom GCD-750.

I'll second the GCD-750. It is a great CDP. Also, if you want to get an upgradable system, get a CD transport (around 300$ used) and an Art DI/O.

That way...if there are any advancements in CD technology...you don't have to get a whole new cdp, just replace the transport or the DAC.

Some good companies that make transports are:

California Audio Labs
PS Audio
Theta
CEC (cec may be too expensive though)

Jul 7, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer

Some good companies that make transports are:

California Audio Labs
PS Audio
Theta
CEC (cec may be too expensive though)

Tim:

Do you know anything about what's going on with Cal Audio Labs? I'm trying to find any web site which would direct me to a dealer, or to the manufacturer...they're all dead. I can't find anything to explain what's happened on the web.

I wonder...did they go belly up??
confused.gif

I'd like to find out what's going on, as I'd like to buy a NEW Delta transport. Provided, that is, that all is well.
mad.gif

Jul 8, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #14 of 40
FWIW, I wouldn't reco buying a plain vanilla CDP at this time. In two years time, no one will be making plain vanilla CDPs. They will all be SACDPs or DVD-A players or a combo of both. You'll invest a reasonable sum in a Redbook only player, only to see it instantly obsolete.

Whether or not you've considered one of the new formats, know this:

On average (YES there are exceptions) a "typical" SACDP/DVD-A player will outperform a comparably-priced Redbook-only CDP. There are many reasons for this. Do a search here and you'll see the various arguments.

Ask yourself this: Do I really want to spend $500+ dollars on an obsolete component? No, you don't.

If you can afford to spend a few extra dollars on a good source, you should see what www.oade.com wants for a Sony SCD-555ES SACDP. This was $1600 new but is now around $700. Check it out.

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back