CD player recommend/sites
Jul 16, 2008 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50
Hey all,

I'm starting to price CD players to replace my old piece o junk. Looking for a nice audiophile unit. can anyone direct me to some websites to do some price comparing. or if anyone has a specific player recommendation, I'll take that happily.

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 50
What is your budget? You can spend from $170 to $10,00+.

If you plan to use a separate DAC, an inexpensive unit that might be a good choice as a transport is the Oppo DV-980. Many folks like that unit.

The next step up might be the sub $1000 category with choices from Marantz and Denon...

Visit some of the Head-Fi sponsors on the front webpage. Many of them sell cd players.

Jul 16, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you plan to use a separate DAC, an inexpensive unit that might be a good choice as a transport is the Oppo DV-980. Many folks like that unit.

A lot do, but for this reason get a CDP with digital-out. So you can always go the separate DAC route.
If you're on a tight budget, there are plenty of portable CDPs w/Optical out. You could get one and a good DAC.

As soon as you buy a superior DAC to use, the CDP is essentially just a spinning unit extracting audio data off a CD.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot do, but for this reason get a CDP with digital-out. So you can always go the separate DAC route.
If you're on a tight budget, there are plenty of portable CDPs w/Optical out. You could get one and a good DAC.

As soon as you buy a superior DAC to use, the CDP is essentially just a spinning unit extracting audio data off a CD.

I find myself a bit confused. Are both of you guys saying that I could get a reasonably inexpensive cd player with an optical out, and it would function just as well as an expensive unit? I am definitely confused here. I thought I knew what I was doing for a minute. are you saying I should put the money into a DAC, not the player itself? I am saying this, but it could be that I just dont know what is in the expensive players.

-If what I have said is true, do the 1000 + players have DAC's built in?
-Do you have to have a DAC? I understand about converting the waveform, but is it a necessity? I thought it would be CD-AMP-HP. Not so? man am I dumb.
-I was originally out to get a solid dedicated source. now I am wondering if I will need two things.

EDIT
OK, I have done a little further research. I am looking for a cd player that has a solid DAC built in. one of audiophile quality, but not horribly expensive. Less than 1000 definitely.
Now, if you guys think that getting separate units is better, I would like to know about your experience. maybe I'll start a new thread. hmm.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 50
Are you looking for portable, or home? And what's your budget look like?

May people here with high-end CDP's, are usually using mostly super-high resolution discs, what's your music quality like? You might want to reinvest into some decent pressed CD's.

-Nick

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 50
For around 1000, the rega apollo is an excellent player. Arcam, NAD and Marantz also come to mind.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by lacrossebowe8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For around 1000, the rega apollo is an excellent player. Arcam, NAD and Marantz also come to mind.

....Sony, Denon and Cambridge Audio as well...

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #8 of 50
Agree with Chri5peed etc.

OP: what these posters are saying is this --

When you get your CDP (CD Player, which is a CD Transport + a DAC, by definition), it would be good if it had Digital Out (S/PDIF, either 75 Ohm coax with RCA connector, optical with TOSLINK connector, or both ... and if really high-end then with AES/BEU using 110 Ohm coax and XLR connector).

That way you could later switch to an outboard DAC if you had the money, or just for smiles if you borrow a DAC or use one at a meet. Most CDPs in your price class have decent transports, so the DAC is what you are listening to when you buy a CDP!

Think if you want SACD playback.

And I agree with nick20 -- Japanese pressed CDs, and some European, sound better to me. Could be placebo effect, but I doubt it.

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And I agree with nick20 -- Japanese pressed CDs, and some European, sound better to me. Could be placebo effect, but I doubt it.

No way is it placebo effect..
wink.gif

Just buy a "newly" remastered CD, and play it to the Japenese, Island, European, South African, New Zealand presses. I know all to well about these...
smily_headphones1.gif

-Nick

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 50
IMO, and only that, this is how "I" set my preferences..

high-resolution CD presses > CDP > HP's > amp

While the difference in amp wasn't too big, it is noticeable, however buying better CD's REALLY makes a difference.. some will agree, and most won't, however most haven't heard a quality pressed CD. So I don't expect a lot of "agreeing".
biggrin.gif

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you looking for portable, or home? And what's your budget look like?

May people here with high-end CDP's, are usually using mostly super-high resolution discs, what's your music quality like? You might want to reinvest into some decent pressed CD's.

-Nick

I am building a home setup. I have a very large collection of regular CD's. Some of them are better pressed then others, but I do not have any other formats. IE: sadc, etc..
-I am a musician/teacher, and have never had tons of cash. I've always built up a nice sounding system with what I had. Now that I am a bit older, and have a little more bread, I want to start doing the things I want. so, we start with audio.
-the more I read, I dont think I want to deal with a separate DAC at this time, unless there is a substantial benefit, which I have not found. It seems to me if I look into a solid cdp, it should fit the bill as a good source that I can amplify. I may set up a computer as source thing some day, but not now.
SO.. looks like a great cd player is it. so.. I'm looking under 1000 bucks. I've read about the rega apollo, and it seems you can find it used at audiogon.com. any input or better recommendations? and yes, I am reading the other threads concerning this same stuff.

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #12 of 50
A Marantz SA8001 is a bargain at 899...gives you very good SACD stereo playback as well as red book CD. Makes for great transport if you want to add a DAC later on. The disc transport and chassis on this beast are top notch for the price range.

Peete.

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am building a home setup. I have a very large collection of regular CD's. Some of them are better pressed then others, but I do not have any other formats. IE: sadc, etc..
-I am a musician/teacher, and have never had tons of cash. I've always built up a nice sounding system with what I had. Now that I am a bit older, and have a little more bread, I want to start doing the things I want. so, we start with audio.
-the more I read, I dont think I want to deal with a separate DAC at this time, unless there is a substantial benefit, which I have not found. It seems to me if I look into a solid cdp, it should fit the bill as a good source that I can amplify. I may set up a computer as source thing some day, but not now.
SO.. looks like a great cd player is it. so.. I'm looking under 1000 bucks. I've read about the rega apollo, and it seems you can find it used at audiogon.com. any input or better recommendations? and yes, I am reading the other threads concerning this same stuff.

Check out audiogon.com and search for used ones there. There are some NICE deals out there, if buying used.

Here's my $.02:

http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/c...740c-azur.html

http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/tsto.sto...N/product/2498

Honestly, there's quite a few in the "under $1000" class

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=1905

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/bes...-1000-a-92800/

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...&openflup&31&4

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/175397.html

To get you started...

-Nick

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 50
For under $1K there are lots of good options, including:

- Arcam DiVA CD73 (my first real audiophile-grade CDP, loved it)
- CA Azur 740C (I've heard the 640C V2 predecessor which was pretty good)
- Music Hall CD25.2 (some positive reviews)

Rega Apollo and Marantz SA8001 have had their share of positive reviews too.

Though personally if I were in your shoes and looking for an <$1K CDP, I would get a used Arcam FMJ CD23 without question - though old it has legendary reviews, and it uses a mini version of the dCS Ring DAC, featured in dCS' >$10K sources (!).

I also wrote a comparative review of the Arcam DiVA CD73 and CA Azur 640C V2 here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/two...40c-v2-245358/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back