Cd Player help
Jan 26, 2008 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gritzcolin

500+ Head-Fier
I found and old Onkyo DX-702 CD Player. It's analog outputs dont work and its digital is very flaky cuts in and out. Is it worth getting this thing fixed or should I just get rid of it? Looks like a nice CDP and the fact it had a digital out 16 years ago must say something for its quality.

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 3
You might try opening it up and taking a look inside. It may be that the laser mechanism needs to be lubricated. If the laser is out of alignment, you won't be able to easily repair it yourself.

If you post some pictures of the insides (especially the DAC and analog section), we'll be able to tell if it's worth repair. But, there's a good chance it's just using a cheap 1-bit DAC, in which case, probably not worth repairs...

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might try opening it up and taking a look inside. It may be that the laser mechanism needs to be lubricated. If the laser is out of alignment, you won't be able to easily repair it yourself.

If you post some pictures of the insides (especially the DAC and analog section), we'll be able to tell if it's worth repair. But, there's a good chance it's just using a cheap 1-bit DAC, in which case, probably not worth repairs...

I doubt it is economically sensible to fix it. I have an old Onkyo DX1400 which has analog only outputs and hails from 1990, it sounds great and it only cost me $9.99, if it goes south I could replace it tomorrow for about the same cost
icon10.gif

http://search-completed.ebay.com/sea...=34%26fsoo%3D1

I dont know that particular model but I think most older Onkyos are 18 bit jobbies, mine is..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back