CD Player ($150 Budget)
Jul 6, 2005 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Audio18

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have the Swans M-200 speaker system and I'm looking for a good budget CD Player to go with it. I just want a straight foward CD Player. All it needs is the basic functions and can read regular CD's (no mp3 needed but would be a plus). I'm looking to spend 150-200 dollars. Can someone recommend me a good one? As long as it sounds about the same as my M-Audio Revo 5.1 card, I'd be happy. I'd prefer a more `fun` sounding CD Player that renders all frequencies well, especially the bass, I cannot stand it being boomy. Thanks for the suggestions!

Jul 6, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio18
Hi all,

I have the Swans M-200 speaker system and I'm looking for a good budget CD Player to go with it. I just want a straight foward CD Player. All it needs is the basic functions and can read regular CD's (no mp3 needed but would be a plus). I'm looking to spend 150-200 dollars. Can someone recommend me a good one? As long as it sounds about the same as my M-Audio Revo 5.1 card, I'd be happy. I'd prefer a more `fun` sounding CD Player that renders all frequencies well, especially the bass, I cannot stand it being boomy. Thanks for the suggestions!

I would recommend the iRiver IMP portable - See the source components for sale section where I list a brand new one. It is on E-bay and will sell tonight so take a look. You can use its line outputs to connect to a receiver or use it as ago anywhere portable. It has the best sound I have heard in any CD player for les than $275 list. You can buy it immediately for $95 but contact me before you pay as i have an E-bay code to save you 10 if you pay by paypal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Hi all,

This is the bargain choice for $300 (might find it cheaper somewhere)

Onix xcd-88 cd player

Has 24 bit delta sigma processor with HDCD

Jul 8, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 12
I just received my Onix CD player this week and I believe you won't be dissapointed for the price. The CD player is pretty heavy and the build quality is pretty good too.

I have been A/B comparing it to my low end DVD player and on my old player the voices sound a little thin in comparison.

Based on appearance too, it looks really nice.

I have to mention, I do not work for this company or receive any compensation for recommending this product.

Jul 9, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 12
i assume you want a standalone home cd player? well its funny, i never thought about the fact that the swans ms200 is active so you can connect it directly to a cd player, sweet. if you want excellent standalnoe cd player, search on marantz and nad.

well there is the pioneer dv-588s-a. this thing play everything, cd, dvd, dvda, sacd, divx, mp3. i only had teh dv-563a, which is pretty decent, but i assume they should sound similar.

i'm currently using the philips dvd-795sa, which is the 5disc version of the dvd-763sa, which is the brother of the infamous dvd-963sa universal player.

Jul 9, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 12
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the advice. Do you know any specific models of the Marantz and NAD players you are recommending? And yes, it is very sweet, no additional amp required!
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Hi all,

Check this out, elsewhere on this forum :

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126570

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
I would definately recommend Sherwood Newcastle CD980T which was reviewed if you click below link. After 2 months of ownership, it has been blissful experience for me. It even has the headphone jack with volume control. So far the CD980T has been driving my headphones very efficiently.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=Sherwood

Nice review.

A good choice among several in this price range.

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
I would definately recommend Sherwood Newcastle CD980T which was reviewed if you click below link. After 2 months of ownership, it has been blissful experience for me. It even has the headphone jack with volume control. So far the CD980T has been driving my headphones very efficiently.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=Sherwood

But it hasn't been on sale since then
rolleyes.gif
Still waiting
rolleyes.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Hi all,

I'm sure people smirked to themselves when I recommended the iRiver IMP400 portable as a home player for under $100.

Ued in this way, feeding its line outputs to an amp or receiver, it really is good - very clear and free of coloration for its price. I use it with my new Lehmann headphone amp and Etymotic 4S and it sounds quite good.

With the Lehmann and Etymotics I can really hear the quality of a source - much better than with speakers (Classe' amp, Audio Concept speakers with the Scan Speak Revelator tweeter and Focal dual voice coil kevlar midrange).

Now you can do better with the NADs that have the 24 bit HDCD DAC, but you will pay more.

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
But it hasn't been on sale since then
rolleyes.gif
Still waiting
rolleyes.gif

When I got it the CD980T was NOT on sale. I just kept insisting about the promotional price. Then salesman got authorized from his boss. I'm quite sure this player can be had under $200. Well I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back