CD/DVD-A/SACD cases (Warning: Contains Rant)
Apr 28, 2004 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
OK...I'm about to snap my cap!! I've got several relatively new additions to my music library, and the cases are broken. Not that I'm not pissed enough about that, but I can't replace them!!!

First, there are the SACD and DVD cases. What was so bad about the old style jewel cases. When they broke (which, granted, was often), I'd just replace the broken part and voila!!...fixed. I can't fix any of these things, and the SACD liners just look dumb in a jewel case. The DVD-A liners don't fit. Now, I'm pretty careful, but occasionally I drop a case. Unfortunately, Mrs. Elrod is not nearly so careful...and I now have 4 or 5 of these that are messed up.
mad.gif

As if I weren't pissed enough already, even CD's are getting to be a pain to fix. Seems like most of the traditional jewel cases that come with CD's these days have clear sections where the CD sits...can't find them anywhere. No biggie though...compared to those #@%* cardboard cases!! You know...the ones that have the section that holds the CD glued to the cardboard (READ: it can't be replaced). I don't know about y'all, but I buy at least one CD out of 10 that has at least some of the "grips" in the center of the CD seat broken off. Now I have a mini library of CD's that fall out as soon as the case is opened!!
mad.gif

Why are the record companies doing this to us? Is it revenge for all the digital files zipping all over the internet? If so...HEY!! I'M NOT DOING IT!!

mad.gif

Why can't I find any replacement cases anywhere?? Why do we have to suffer through these idiotic problems in the first place? I'd really like to know...

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 7
When I buy CDs/SACDs, all the jewel cases get tossed, and I stick the liners and disks into those white tyvek sleeves. This way, I can triple my storage capacity into a relatively small space.

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 7
Good point with the new style and size on the cases making things more difficult. Thankfully someone here, yidimsum, knew the answer. Man, you gotta love this place sometimes! Just when you think you're out of answers someone pipes in here with something like this that helps a great many of us out.

Thanks yidimsum. Awesome catch and I'm gonna have to bookmark those links in case I need them myself.

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 7
edit: never mind, they're discontinued.

Apr 29, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 7
I agree on the issue of regular clear CD cases. I can't seem to find them anywhere and I have a couple of cracked ones I'd like to replace. I like having jewel cases in a cd rack because of the aesthetics and ergonomics as opposed to jammed into a huge cd binder (yes I know that good ones exist and I will probably purchase one of the new SLAPPAS). Does anyone know where to find new clear CD cases? Honestly...it shouldn't be that hard. Either that, or the stores I've been to have some sort of conspiracy going on....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back