CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #3,061 of 3,770
NRA, or a USB connected keyboard with a spilled drink in it.

If you call up a headphones reseller or manufacturer and complain about shocks, they're going to tell you 2 things:

1) fix the ground issue with your source hardware
2) that your warranty has been voided

You need to hire an electrician to sort out grounding issues to permanently installed PCs. If you are recharging laptops on 2 prong outlets, it's safer to do so passively and to not use the device while it's plugged in to the wall. People think that because laptop converter is pushing DC that there's not much risk. Unless there's a power surge that shorts out the converter itself, which could still try to use your device connected hands and body as a ground to earth in lieu of the missing 3rd ground prong to the outlet. Rare, sure. But there's still a risk.

I grew up in thunderstorm prone area of the USA so I am especially weary about lightning risks. When the flashing starts, I disconnect the laptop or switch to my mobile. I use an APC branded power UPS backup unit on my laptop and external storage drives that also includes surge protection. They can be had for ~ $200, which is relatively cheap insurance. It's possible that a large surge could short circuit the machine somehow and find it's way to your ears via headphones. Same goes for any device plugged into a wall that you spend a lot of time connected to - like on your bedside nightstand. If you want to fall asleep listening to music, do yourself a favor and get a bluetooth amp and stick to that ... :D (I do!)
Before i move to UPS (the same APC UPS that now safe guard my pc and tv), I use stabilizer as the electricity is a bit flutiative (i was told it was one of the reason plenty of my HDD died) but its still electrocute a bit.

by the time i use UPS, i also switch to more premium properly rated powersupply which have on and off switch~! (the cheapo $10 didn't have one.)
Its no longer that shocking now, tough not sure whether its the ups or the new powersupply.

Oct 4, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #3,062 of 3,770
Did a bit of tip rolling with NRA. Most of my tips didn't get a good seal, due to the tips being wide bore. ZS3's red tips work quite well.

I quite like NRA with the DQ6 EQ, and sub bass / mid bass fix. They have some of the best bass "groove" in my collection.

The big air vents are quite noisy outdoor, though :)

Oct 4, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #3,063 of 3,770
Did a bit of tip rolling with NRA. Most of my tips didn't get a good seal, due to the tips being wide bore. ZS3's red tips work quite well.

I quite like NRA with the DQ6 EQ, and sub bass / mid bass fix. They have some of the best bass "groove" in my collection.

The big air vents are quite noisy outdoor, though :)
My NRA's are on the way to me and should probably arrive within the next 15 days. Looking forward to these to add to my KZ ZS10 PRO, ZAX and DQ6 collection. Looking forward to that magnostatic (EST?) DD driver config. I really like how some of these new driver configs are being offered at lower prices. Gives me the opportunity to try these technologies at a more affordable price. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it will sound good. I'll be using my usual Newbee foam tips for my listening and evaluation.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #3,064 of 3,770
Anyone hava a CCA CA24 on the way?
I guess they are the same as the AST, but I'd like to hear another review to confirm.

Only thing that bothers me about these IEM's with 24 balanced armatures is that I'm afraid one of the drivers will go bad.
Maybe..hopefully, they are more reliable than I think though.

Oct 5, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #3,065 of 3,770
It's my belief the NRA harshly reproduces recordings that are naturally sibilant, but that normally won't bother you when: the source music recording is of high-quality (originally mastered with care, not or minimally dynamically compressed); when your audio reproduction chain is also of high quality and well-engineered (very low noise and distortion; but not necessarily state-of-the-art or crazy expensive); and when your transducers (speakers or headphones) are also well-designed and well-tuned.

Much ado over a $15 pair of in-ears? Probably, but to those following the KZ/CCA threads and are invested in the brand because it formed or still forms a significant part of their journey in their pursuit of musical enjoyment, it is a topic. It's also worthy of note as to its potential—further iterations of the NRA may yet find that sweet spot of great value, great design and great tuning. There's its very recent half-sibling, the KZ ZEX, for one.

As a first effort into this class of drivers ("electrostatic" or whatever the cognomen), at this price point, the NRA is already something. Many, including me, have noted its wonderful bass and midrange, its treble for me only marred by its sibilance and a shrill presentation of certain instruments—that btw can be remedied by subtractive EQ, and/or the use of warm-sounding amps.

As a further illustration of the NRA's capabilities and inherent characteristics, allow me to direct you to this post of archimago (one of those who over the years I have followed with attentiveness, together with solderdude and the now happily retired Tyll Hertsens, to name a couple off the cuff), entitled Archimago's Musical Performance Track (AMPT):

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2021/08/ampt-test.html?m=1

This is a relatively short post, done in archimago's usual interest-piquing style, which essentially tells that he made a test track he recorded off his RME ADI PRO Analog-to-Digital Converter from certain recordings he considers "reference" quality (save perhaps for the last one), for listener evaluation of source playback.

However, this test track can also be used to evaluate speaker or headphone response characteristics. Which is what I did with the NRA. And the rest of my headphones.

It's respectfully suggested that the post be read in its entirety, paying particular attention to his notes. Then, you can tap/click on the provided link therein and in the interests of fair use, download said test track as a Zip file and try it on the NRA, and on your playback gear and headphones.

Oct 5, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #3,066 of 3,770
I guess they are the same as the AST, but I'd like to hear another review to confirm.

Only thing that bothers me about these IEM's with 24 balanced armatures is that I'm afraid one of the drivers will go bad.
It's entirely possible for BAs to fail, but they're far more durable compared to electret drivers. As long as there isn't a manufacturing defect, they should last several years of regular use with no problems. I'd still avoid dropping them or otherwise jostling them excessively, as it can potentially damage the balanced arm mountings.

Oct 5, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #3,067 of 3,770

I have one on the way but no ETA and I would have liked to compare it to the KZ AST but I don't have it.

Oct 5, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #3,068 of 3,770
I have one on the way but no ETA and I would have liked to compare it to the KZ AST but I don't have it.
One of your countrymen needs to assist the team and lend you the AST.

This is a public service announcement to Head-Fi-ers in the U.K. Please assist The Vortex and make sure he has the AST in hand to do his review. Over and out.

Oct 5, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #3,069 of 3,770
One of your countrymen needs to assist the team and lend you the AST.

This is a public service announcement to Head-Fi-ers in the U.K. Please assist The Vortex and make sure he has the AST in hand to do his review. Over and out.

Thanks very much haha.

Any other UK person I know who has IEMs does not have the AST but I do have the KZ ZAS and KZ ZAX so it will be good to see what it's like compared to those.

I almost forgot I still have the KZ ASX........

Oct 5, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #3,070 of 3,770
ASX,AST,ZAS,ZAX,ZEX....
1633470877070.png

Oct 5, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #3,072 of 3,770
Oct 5, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #3,073 of 3,770
Thanks very much haha.

Any other UK person I know who has IEMs does not have the AST but I do have the KZ ZAS and KZ ZAX so it will be good to see what it's like compared to those.

I almost forgot I still have the KZ ASX........

Do you have an AS10 somewhere? I don't see (or hear) the current progress (e.g. the AST) being made over recent yesteryear's multi-BA flagships.

Oct 6, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #3,075 of 3,770
I don't as I sold it on long ago but I did like the sound just not the comfort.

I would expect the discomfort with its evil twin, the almost identical-sounding BA10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back