CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #2,296 of 3,770
The CCA CST comes with the usual trio of black Starline tips. While those tips are perfectly serviceable, switching them out for narrower bores like Sony Hybrids has the effect of taming the brightness and increasing the note weight by just a tad. That confers quite an improvement already.
IMHO, having a DD iem with clarity and strong bass response for the price of lunch is already quite respectable. Prior to testing my CST, I was prepared to hear all the music crammed into mid-range and a godzilla-stomping bass but, apparently in 2020, it has gotten better for cheap DD iems.

Come on, KZ/CCA! We need an ultralight & rigid diaphragm DD iem for the price of less than 2 lunches ASAP! And long nozzle, please.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #2,297 of 3,770
IMHO, having a DD iem with clarity and strong bass response for the price of lunch is already quite respectable. Prior to testing my CST, I was prepared to hear all the music crammed into mid-range and a godzilla-stomping bass but, apparently in 2020, it has gotten better for cheap DD iems.

Come on, KZ/CCA! We need an ultralight & rigid diaphragm DD iem for the price of less than 2 lunches ASAP! And long nozzle, please.

You make a good point. I could certainly live with this; it doesn't sound offensive or broken, and it basically sounds like a ZSN class IEM but for even less. If I switch off the critical-listening parts of my brain, it's pretty enjoyable.

The only fly in the ointment though is that the MH755/750 still has a more natural timbre to me. But before going to bed last night I plugged the CST into my computer, playing my collection on shuffle all and repeat, hoping that the driver will loosen up. Let's see.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #2,298 of 3,770
For replace the kind information of Baskingshark @ the CCA thread :

IMG_20201125_114828.jpg
IMG_20201125_114942.jpg
IMG_20201125_115501.jpg

IMG_20201125_151344.jpg

Seems to be the 2 years celebration model from CCA and remind the C16 without 30095 treble BAs.
Unfortunatly they didn't use news blacks BAs Seen in KZ ASX ASF...

Price is around 60€ (don't take in count my 10€ coupon...)

IMG_20201125_120324.jpg

Looks really pretty for my eyes ! But the big ASX housing is a concern IMO

Good old C16 for comparaison

IMG_20201125_114852.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201125_114852.jpg
    IMG_20201125_114852.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #2,299 of 3,770
For replace the kind information of Baskingshark @ the CCA thread :

Seems to be the 2 years celebration model from CCA and remind the C16 without 30095 treble BAs.
Unfortunatly they didn't use news blacks BAs Seen in KZ ASX ASF...

Price is around 60€ (don't take in count my 10€ coupon...)

Looks really pretty for my eyes ! But the big ASX housing is a concern IMO
That's a picture of the C16. The exploded picture seems to show 5 BAs. Where are the other three?

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #2,300 of 3,770
Your 're right !
Edit my post for be more compréhensive...

Nov 25, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #2,301 of 3,770
That's a picture of the C16. The exploded picture seems to show 5 BAs. Where are the other three?

Some are double BAs, which are 2 BAs attached together but using a single output nozzle. So double BAs are 2 BAs, even though they seem like 1.

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #2,302 of 3,770
So how is the consensus on the CA16 and the CP800 tips? Is it universally-agreed that the CP800 are more desirable? Because it's not so clear-cut to me.

Okay, so I tried the CP100 tips [for the second or third time], and the CP800. With the CA16.

CP100

With the CP100, it did bring the mids forward, as promised, but it felt crude. Like it just propelled the mids right up there and it was kind of harsh, coming from the stock tips. I didn't feel as if it led to real improvement in the tracks I was playing, even if I could discern certain registers more readily.

[I didn't like what it was doing with the soundstage either, making it feel kind of 'circular.']

CP800

With the CP800, there was a more subtle boost of the registers that had been quiet. It definitely made most tracks outside of Pamplemoose sound more 'normal' [less treble-scooped]. But I found that the newfound treble was presently a little harsh, once again. At least compared to the warm bath that is the stock tips.

The CP100/800 insert deeper into my ear, and they are stable. But the stock tips stayed still, also. I don't think we should discount the stock tips so much. If CCA was going for a 'warm bath' sound, the stock tips make sense for that purpose.

With the CP800, tracks like Prince's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" seem more "correct" or balanced. In fact, CP800 brings the CA16 closer to the BL-03 on this track, and the BL-03 is generally considered a good performer here. But I can't shake that I find the CA16's sound more 'monitor-like' with the CP800 tips. With Pamplemoose, CP800 looses some of that 'ultra-soft gently-tuned warm bath' perfection the stock tips achieve.

Also, getting the CP800 on is not a flawless process. I bent the grille a little in the left earpiece pulling that on, so now it's a little out-of-alignment.

Dec 5, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #2,303 of 3,770
So how is the consensus on the CA16 and the CP800 tips? Is it universally-agreed that the CP800 are more desirable? Because it's not so clear-cut to me.

Okay, so I tried the CP100 tips [for the second or third time], and the CP800. With the CA16.

CP100

With the CP100, it did bring the mids forward, as promised, but it felt crude. Like it just propelled the mids right up there and it was kind of harsh, coming from the stock tips. I didn't feel as if it led to real improvement in the tracks I was playing, even if I could discern certain registers more readily.

[I didn't like what it was doing with the soundstage either, making it feel kind of 'circular.']

CP800

With the CP800, there was a more subtle boost of the registers that had been quiet. It definitely made most tracks outside of Pamplemoose sound more 'normal' [less treble-scooped]. But I found that the newfound treble was presently a little harsh, once again. At least compared to the warm bath that is the stock tips.

The CP100/800 insert deeper into my ear, and they are stable. But the stock tips stayed still, also. I don't think we should discount the stock tips so much. If CCA was going for a 'warm bath' sound, the stock tips make sense for that purpose.

With the CP800, tracks like Prince's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" seem more "correct" or balanced. In fact, CP800 brings the CA16 closer to the BL-03 on this track, and the BL-03 is generally considered a good performer here. But I can't shake that I find the CA16's sound more 'monitor-like' with the CP800 tips. With Pamplemoose, CP800 looses some of that 'ultra-soft gently-tuned warm bath' perfection the stock tips achieve.

Also, getting the CP800 on is not a flawless process. I bent the grille a little in the left earpiece pulling that on, so now it's a little out-of-alignment.
Yes, I love the sound with the stock tips. I can listen for hours and drift away!

Dec 5, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #2,304 of 3,770

CP100

CP800

Thanks for the great assessment bro, that's correct with CP800... I know to get it in the first time... LOL... it's like "popping the cherry" - uhmmm pardon me for my vulgar comparison.

When I did the tips rolling with CP800, I was in the final stretch, I could not refund the CCA I bought from Aliexpress. Throwing $60 into the trash can seemed like a bad idea. So, I replaced the cable, but it did not change anything. Then I started to experiment with different tips, it worked. Did more research, bought all spinfit tips (now I have 5 different types of Spinfit). And to my surprise CP800 really did change the sound profile by ALOT.

When people said CCA CA16 sucks, I digress, just because with CP800 ONLY, you can experience the full potential of CCA CA16 (monitor like IEM).

Glad you like the change... I'm skipping Starsea and going straight to LZ A7 for CCA CA16 upgrade.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #2,305 of 3,770
Yes, I think it is a matter of preference. Stock tips successfully give a warm, treble-scooped, softer sound. For some genres, that can be priceless.

However, stock tips also present problems for many if trying to use CA16 as an all-rounder. So the CP800 do even out the sound, balance it and make it more 'monitor-like.'

If you are short on IEMs and need an all-rounder / monitor-like, then you can use CP800. Or keep CA16 as a unique 'golf club' in your inventory for the soft stuff.

Some other notes on CP800

It's impressive the difference some tips can make. Although they bring out sound that the stock tips didn't, it wasn't a perfect experience for me. Here's why.

I found that, in contrast to the stock tips, CP800 made some parts of tracks sound shouty. This included the brass instruments on Edith Piaf's "Je Ne Regrette Rien."

The overall sound also became more analytical, which can be good or bad.

I kind of found the CP800 tips to make the CA16 more of a neutral sound delivery device, kind of like my old Etymotics. But it looses some of that silky quality it had before.

So at least we have choice. CA16 is definitely a tip-sensitive IEM.

Dec 5, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #2,306 of 3,770
Yes, I think it is a matter of preference. Stock tips successfully give a warm, treble-scooped, softer sound. For some genres, that can be priceless.

However, stock tips also present problems for many if trying to use CA16 as an all-rounder. So the CP800 do even out the sound, balance it and make it more 'monitor-like.'

If you are short on IEMs and need an all-rounder / monitor-like, then you can use CP800. Or keep CA16 as a unique 'golf club' in your inventory for the soft stuff.

Some other notes on CP800

It's impressive the difference some tips can make. Although they bring out sound that the stock tips didn't, it wasn't a perfect experience for me. Here's why.

I found that, in contrast to the stock tips, CP800 made some parts of tracks sound shouty. This included the brass instruments on Edith Piaf's "Je Ne Regrette Rien."

The overall sound also became more analytical, which can be good or bad.

I kind of found the CP800 tips to make the CA16 more of a neutral sound delivery device, kind of like my old Etymotics. But it looses some of that silky quality it had before.

So at least we have choice. CA16 is definitely a tip-sensitive IEM.

next project is to replace the nozzle, but I gave up too early. Let me know when you do it in the future.

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #2,307 of 3,770
I just tried out 4 IEMs in-a-row.

[KBear Lark, CCA CA16, Tinhifi T2+, TRN V90.]

The CA16 with CP800 tips was the best with Brubeck's "Take Five" on Youtube. The CP800 tips do make that recording better for the CA16, as far as I can tell.

It was the best performer of the 4 there, maybe tied with V90. The V90 performed better than it should have.

The CA16/CP800 was like a studio monitor with Take Five, and sounded balanced and somewhat punchy. [Honestly, the percussion can get a little too punchy with these tips sometimes.]

The sound was rich and thick. The CP800 gives the CA16 a kind of 'warm neutral' somewhat bassy tone to my ears.

With the V90, the sound is more 'confined,' and tighter. The sax is not as brash as on the CA16/CP800, it's more pleasant and melodic. It's sweeter and thinner. The V90 keeps up with the rhythm perfectly as it always does, although CA16 has no problems. Two different sounds, both legitimate in my view.

----------------------------------------

Caveat: My V90 [original, not 'S'] is modded with a NICEHCK SPC and Spiral Dot tips. All IEMs running off Fiio E10K.

A lot of my IEMs fail to play "Take Five" in a natural or compelling way, so it is a serious test for me. CA16 with CP800 actually passes it. Even V90 does, to my surprise.

Dec 5, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #2,308 of 3,770
I just tried out 4 IEMs in-a-row.

[KBear Lark, CCA CA16, Tinhifi T2+, TRN V90.]

The CA16 with CP800 tips was the best with Brubeck's "Take Five" on Youtube. The CP800 tips do make that recording better for the CA16, as far as I can tell.

It was the best performer of the 4 there, maybe tied with V90. The V90 performed better than it should have.

The CA16/CP800 was like a studio monitor with Take Five, and sounded balanced and somewhat punchy. [Honestly, the percussion can get a little too punchy with these tips sometimes.]

The sound was rich and thick. The CP800 gives the CA16 a kind of 'warm neutral' somewhat bassy tone to my ears.

With the V90, the sound is more 'confined,' and tighter. The sax is not as brash as on the CA16/CP800, it's more pleasant and melodic. It's sweeter and thinner. The V90 keeps up with the rhythm perfectly as it always does, although CA16 has no problems. Two different sounds, both legitimate in my view.

----------------------------------------

Caveat: My V90 [original, not 'S'] is modded with a NICEHCK SPC and Spiral Dot tips. All IEMs running off Fiio E10K.

A lot of my IEMs fail to play "Take Five" in a natural or compelling way, so it is a serious test for me. CA16 with CP800 actually passes it. Even V90 does, to my surprise.

Have you tried V90s? it's much improvement, but sounded so bad on Iphone, I plugged V90s to DAC and sounds wonderful.
TRN makes good IEM, but they have poor QC and what I don't like about TRN even though they have multiple BAs, their sound stage is just WIDE, not like CA16 which has holographic sounding.

I am saving up for LZ A7 which actually a real upgrade of CCA CA16, especially in term of 3D soundstage.

Dec 5, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #2,309 of 3,770
I love holographic 3D soundstage. Can't get enough of it.

The V90s was on sale for $20 recently, and I was going to get it, but forgot. So it looks like I won't be getting one any time soon.

The V80 had a pretty impressive soundstage for what it was. Remarkably good for TV shows as well. But yes, the QC. My first V80 was good, the second one was lacking in some registers. I haven't even opened the third one!

I got a good V90 and a really good BA5. Better than what some people are reporting. But TRN needs to step up the QC, because I and others don't like to gamble on our IEM purchases.

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #2,310 of 3,770
I love holographic 3D soundstage. Can't get enough of it.

The V90s was on sale for $20 recently, and I was going to get it, but forgot. So it looks like I won't be getting one any time soon.

The V80 had a pretty impressive soundstage for what it was. Remarkably good for TV shows as well. But yes, the QC. My first V80 was good, the second one was lacking in some registers. I haven't even opened the third one!

I got a good V90 and a really good BA5. Better than what some people are reporting. But TRN needs to step up the QC, because I and others don't like to gamble on our IEM purchases.

yeah I am pissed with TRN, will not buy anything from them anymore, will stick with KBear and LZ, I have enough of KZs and CCAs. Venturing to the mid ChiFi. Cheap ChiFi has its own limitation, I hate changing ear monitors everytime. When you have mid range ChiFi with different tuning and filters, you just need one good one.

Detail monster KBear Believe
3D monster LZ A7
Maybe and maybe... Tri Starlight, lol. But I think I will stop with LZ A7, so far people reporting LZ A7 as superb all around IEM. With piezoelectric driver, the technology will last me about a year before looking for something else.

Will use the rest going to the gym etc. until they all break...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back