CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #1,457 of 3,770
I tried many times. I cannot get it to work on the small ones. Do you know what size screw you used?

It doesn’t work that well on the small Starlines. The eartip ends up with a very square shape that is uncomfortable.

The ideal size for the Flip Tip mod is M Starlines, although it does work with L Starlines.

Be aware that the mod works for other tips as well, not just Starlines. So maybe try it with some other small tips, as it just may work out for you.

Here’s the mod on some generic tips I had.

Before:
13FCDFAF-A51D-41AC-8F86-64D5458EC486.jpeg

After:
4E11E90B-DC47-46EE-AB4B-FAC64B2D068F.jpeg

Side by side comparison:
469ACABD-21D6-455D-9633-47F01390E1D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #1,458 of 3,770
TRN was started by guys from KZ.

CCA IS KZ. Like Honda vs Acura, Toyota vs Lexus, etc

ahhhh it was TRN not CCA that was started by KZ people. I got them confused, thanks.
I didn’t know CCA was KZ. I thought they were two competing companies.
It’s funny because it sort of makes sense. Since these three are my favorite
Chi fi brands. They make similar products. I like them all.
Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Dec 31, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #1,459 of 3,770
Folks,

I am ready to share some initial impressions of my CCA C12. I've started off listening with a Radsone ES100, balanced output with a KB Ear balanced silver plated 16-core cable. The tips I am using are the stock medium tips (not the KZ Starlines because I "flipped" those to use on my BLON BL-03 - just using the plain Jane silicone tips that came preinstalled), and I am using a 2.0 mm thick silicone o-ring keyboard switch bumper as a spacer to keep the tips from sliding all the way down the nozzle (see pictures). These tips do have a groove on the inside that catches the lip on the nozzle, but they still tend to slide down further sometimes. The 2.0 mm o-ring is just ever so slightly too thick to take up this extra space on the nozzle, so when I am re-installing the tips, like after cleaning them, I just pull back slightly on the o-ring while installing the tip, allowing the tip to seal around the lip of the nozzle and then release the o-ring. This does not force the tip off the nozzle lip, but provides a firm contact between the tip and o-ring.

I am also using 2.5 mm thick red/blue silicone o-rings for quick identification of the right and left earphones. Both sets of o-rings I'm using in these pictures have a 4.0 mm inner hole diameter, and I am selling the thicker o-rings in a for sale thread HERE

I am not a high-grade audiophile, but I will tell you this about the sound: It is extensive from highest treble to sub-bass. The sub-bass doesn't seem to rumble the same way my BL-03 does, but it is perceptible, so not emphasized. Treble seems precise and prominent, but I have not yet detected any sibilance. I have only listened to these for a couple hours so far - including watching the season 3 finale of Goliath on Amazon Prime Video and listening to a couple albums from some European romantic-goth bands and some dark ambient/new age music. Goliath has some very dark, ambient, menacing soundtrack music. There was one passage of music during the program that had some very soft, very high-pitched notes playing in the background. I could hear these clearly. There was also a scene where one of the "bad guys" was opening a valve with one of those big metal wheels (like a car steering wheel, you know?). Anyway, the high-pitched squeaky sound of the valve opening was very clear and prominent. There was also a scene where a motorcycle drove from right to left and then "behind" the viewer, and I got a good 3-D spatial sense of this sound as the motorcycle moved across the screen and then "behind" me. Of course, I also had visual cues to help me imagine this, but I would say that the spatial sense of these IEMs is very good.

I have less to say about the music albums I listened to, other than to say that the bass and sub-bass where there, but not prominent, and that the treble was crisp, but not sibilant or fatiguing after a couple of hours.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I find the initial fit, comfort, and isolation with these to be very good indeed - much better than my BLON BL-03

I have got to say, I am a bit confused, because before I bought these I thought I had read that the C12 was more neutral (less v-shaped) compared to the KZ ZSX, and I thought that meant that the C12 would be less prone to sibilance or fatiguing treble, but I have read many posts since then that state the opposite - that the ZSX is actually the one that is a little bit "easier" to listen to and enjoy while the treble on the C12 can be more "harsh". Can you all share some thoughts with me about this? I got the C12 because I wanted something a little more technical and analytical than the single DDs that I already had, but I did not want something sibilant or fatiguing. In my short time with the C12, I haven't experienced it to be sibilant or fatiguing (yet), but I am confused about what I have read.

Please forgive the dust and fingerprints in my photos!

DSC_0655.JPG DSC_0656.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #1,460 of 3,770
Folks,

I am ready to share some initial impressions of my CCA C12. I've started off listening with a Radsone ES100, balanced output with a KB Ear balanced silver plated 16-core cable. The tips I am using at the stock medium tips (not the KZ Starlines because I "flipped" those to use on my BLON BL-03 - just the plain Jane silicone tips that came preinstalled), and I am using a 2.0 mm thick silicone o-ring keyboard switch bumper as a spacer to keep the tips from sliding all the way down the nozzle (see pictures). These tips do have a groove on the inside that catches the lip on the nozzle, but they still tend to slide down further sometimes. The 2.0 mm o-ring is just every so slightly too thick to take up this extra space on the nozzle, so when I am re-installing the tips, like after cleaning them, I just pull back slightly on the o-ring while installing the tip, allowing the tip to seal around the lip of the nozzle and then release the o-ring. This does not force the tip off the nozzle lip, but provides a firm contact between the tip and o-ring.

I am also using 2.5 mm thick red/blue silicone o-rings for quick identification of the right and left earphones. Both sets of o-rings have a 4.0 mm inner hole diameter, and I am selling the thicker o-rings in a for sale thread HERE

I am not a high-grade audiophile, but I will tell you this about the sound: It is extensive from highest treble to sub-bass. The sub-bass doesn't seem to rumble the same way my BL-03 does, but it is perceptible, so not emphasized. Trebble seems precise and prominent, but I have not yet detected any sibilance. I have only listened to these for a couple hours so far - including watching the season 3 finally of Goliath on Amazon Prime Video and listening to a couple albums from some European romantic-goth bands and some dark ambient/new age music. Goliath has some very dark, ambient, menacing soundtrack music. There was one passage of music during the program that had some very soft, very high-pitched notes playing in the background. I could hear these clearly. There was also a scene where one of the "bad guys" was opening a valve with one of those big metal wheels (like a car steering wheel, you know?). Anyway, the high-pitched squeaky sound of the valve opening was very clear and prominent. There was also a scene where a motorcycle drove from right to left and then "behind" the viewer, and I got a good 3-D spatial sense of this sound as the motorcycle moved across the screen and then "behind" me. Of course, I also had visual cues to help me imagine this, but I would say that the spatial sense of these IEMs is very good.

I have less to say about the music albums I listened to, other than to say that the bass and sub-bass where there, but not prominent, and that the treble was crisp, but not sibilant or fatiguing after a couple of hours.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I find the initial fit, comfort, and isolation with these to be very good indeed - much better than my BLON BL-03

I have got to say, I am a bit confused, because before I bought these I thought I had read that the C12 was more neutral (less v-shaped) compared to the KZ ZSX, and I thought that meant that the C12 would be less prone to sibilance or fatiguing treble, but I have read many posts since then that state the opposite - that the ZSX is actually the one that is a little bit "easier" to listen to and enjoy while the treble on the C12 can be more "harsh". Can you all share some thoughts with me about this? I got the C12 because I wanted something a little more technical and analytical than the single DDs that I already had, but I did not want something sibilant or fatiguing. In my short time with the C12, I haven't experienced it to be sibilant or fatiguing (yet), but I am confused about what I have read.

Please forgive the dust and fingerprints in my photos!

very interesting that you flip the ear tips.
How does that help? Is it simply to make them longer? To go deeper in the ear?
Also it’s a bummer if what you’re saying is right, about the Sibilance. I hope the C12’s will sound nice.
Mine are on the way. They landed in America, but are still on a truck.
Maybe another week or so before I get them.
Thanks for info.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #1,461 of 3,770
very interesting that you flip the ear tips.
How does that help? Is it simply to make them longer? To go deeper in the ear?

I may have been unintentionally unclear in my post above. The "flip tips" I referred to are KZ Starlines turned completely inside out, not what is pictured here. You can see the "flip tips" in my posts on the BLON thread or at the link to my o-rings sale listing above. The flip tips have been discussed in a few threads and there is even a dedicated thread for them. I think @Slater invented them.

I have pictured one of the tips above inverted simply so that you can see the o-ring I am using for a spacer on the C12.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #1,462 of 3,770
Dec 31, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #1,463 of 3,770
My C12s which I’ve had for quite awhile were/are neither sibilant or fatiguing, I think they are outstanding.
You really have to rely on your ears only, I read about graphs that disqualify peoples thoughts on liking an IEM that I know they might like. I’ve never relied on that stuff but if it works for folks thats great. I have several folks I read on here that have same impressions I have and they consistently have over time so I pay closer attention to their impressions.
I’m not able to audition anything before buying so its both cost effective and positive to use a core group of opinions.

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #1,464 of 3,770
My C12s which I’ve had for quite awhile were/are neither sibilant or fatiguing, I think they are outstanding.
You really have to rely on your ears only, I read about graphs that disqualify peoples thoughts on liking an IEM that I know they might like. I’ve never relied on that stuff but if it works for folks thats great. I have several folks I read on here that have same impressions I have and they consistently have over time so I pay closer attention to their impressions.
I’m not able to audition anything before buying so its both cost effective and positive to use a core group of opinions.

thanks for the info. I’m glad you like the C12’s.
I think you’re absolutely correct about people’s ears being the best judge.
Graphs only give SOME information, but it’s the ears, that give the final verdict.
The problem is, I never get to listen to IEMs before purchasing. Also I don’t know which reviewers
Have similar taste / ears to me. I always feel like I’m basically “rolling the dice” every time
I order IEMs.
Thanks again :)

Dec 31, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #1,465 of 3,770
Graphs only give SOME information, but it’s the ears, that give the final verdict.
The problem is, I never get to listen to IEMs before purchasing. Also I don’t know which reviewers
Have similar taste / ears to me. I always feel like I’m basically “rolling the dice” every time
I order IEMs.
I'm drunk and I can finally think on your level, thanks Solar1971

Jan 1, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #1,466 of 3,770

Yes, I completely agree, but I have npt been here long enough to know who's opinion to pay more attention to. I am looking mostly for consensus or majority opinion.

I order IEMs.

This is where I am too, and I'll say this: graphs only show a small amount. It's basically impossible to get a sense of what an IEM sounds like based on that alone.

I'm drunk and I can finally think on your level, thanks Solar1971

Well, this is mean, but made me literally laugh out loud, so...

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #1,467 of 3,770
Yes, I completely agree, but I have npt been here long enough to know who's opinion to pay more attention to. I am looking mostly for consensus or majority opinion.

This is where I am too, and I'll say this: graphs only show a small amount. It's basically impossible to get a sense of what an IEM sounds like based on that alone.

Well, this is mean, but made me literally laugh out loud, so...

you’ll notice this guy is always in a grumpy mood. Not sure why but he likes to talk smack to many people.
I would love to talk with this dude in real life and watch him turn into a little puppy dog when he sees me. you’ll notice that it’s usually the whimps in real life
That like to talk smack on the internet. It’s the only place they can talk smack, and not get knocked out.
It’s like a little haven for their frustrations. I hope this guy gets laid soon, then maybe he can “act” like a human being.
Anyway.
Happy new year!!!

Jan 1, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #1,468 of 3,770
you’ll notice this guy is always in a grumpy mood. Not sure why but he likes to talk smack to many people.
I would love to talk with this dude in real life and watch him turn into a little puppy dog when he sees me. you’ll notice that it’s usually the whimps in real life
That like to talk smack on the internet. It’s the only place they can talk smack, and not get knocked out.
It’s like a little haven for their frustrations. I hope this guy gets laid soon, then maybe he can “act” like a human being.
Anyway.
Happy new year!!!
I'm actually almost always in a good mood and I really do appreciate your enthusiasm for Chi-fi, as you buy them all like a pika chu collector-gotta collect 'em all. You just come off like an idiot to me, creating threads for everything you do like you're the most important person in the world. I think your BGGAR's 2nd account, not a compliment.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #1,470 of 3,770

Users who are viewing this thread

Back