CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #1,366 of 3,770
looks good. which cable is that? it's not the one that comes with the unit, right?

I've been holding off on the C12 myself. I'm assuming it's not a huge leap from the ZS10pros.

I added that cable 2.5mm balanced , bought it from ebay

Oct 15, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #1,367 of 3,770
I received recently my C12, details and instrument separation are good, but bass level is low compared with recent KZ. I did the tests on audiocheck.net, I did invert one cable side too, and the phase seems good.
Now, I try continuous burn in.
I did too the binaural test at https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php
and was most impressed by the realism of the knocking, so I took my C12 off to find where it was coming from...

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #1,368 of 3,770
Just arrived my cca c12 look great for the money

I'm a little annoyed that right and left aren't marked on the devices themselves. I'll probably put a sticker or a dab of paint on the right side.

Anyway I'm not sure I am still hearing bass issues after listening to some music with fairly punishing bass last night - Einsturzende Neubauten's "Perpetuum Mobile Tour" live album. maybe they just needed some breakin? I will continue to analyze.

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #1,369 of 3,770
Hello, friend

1.) Yes, it is reversible. The white filter has a ring of sticky black adhesive around its circumference. This adhesive is reusable. When you remove the filter, it is critical to store it on something that will protect the adhesive from dust and dirt. A small scrap of waxed baking paper (commonly called “wax paper”), a wax-coated paper drinking cup (must be wax coated), a clean unused wax candle (like a small tea candle), or the backing paper from a sticker (ie the part left behind when you peel a sticker from its backing paper).

To put the mod back to its original state, you simply reverse the procedure you performed when you removed the filter (it can be set back in place with sharp tweezers, and the adhesive smoothed back down using a cotton swab or wooden toothpick). You must make sure to put the filter over the correct hole though. There are 3 holes, and it’s easy to get confused which hole is which. You can use the photo I posted as a reference so you know the correct hole to stick the filter back onto.

2.) I’m not sure, I don’t have any of those models. It wouldn’t surprise me if they did though.

3.) The metal nozzle mesh can be found on Aliexpress if you search for “dust network steel mesh”. There are many diameters available. The correct size for the C16 is 4.3mm (sometimes sold as 4.2mm). There are a few styles available - the common flexible woven mesh type we see, and the ‘cheese grater’ style that has round holes in a stiff plate:

I hope that helps!
Thanks a lot, @Slater!
Removing the filters worked very nicely for me. (I put the filters in a small ziplock bag, but I am not sure if I ever put them back).
To my ears and preference, I enjoy a bit more treble. It did make a noticeable, but not drastic difference in the direction that I prefer. The treble now still is not at A10 level by intensity. It is not at C12 either, where treble and upper mids are clearer and more transparent compared to thicker and more intense C16.
I can now wait for C18/C20 more patiently, and very much hope that KZ/CCA will make a winning BA version of C12!

Oct 17, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #1,370 of 3,770
Thanks a lot, @Slater!
Removing the filters worked very nicely for me. (I put the filters in a small ziplock bag, but I am not sure if I ever put them back).
To my ears and preference, I enjoy a bit more treble. It did make a noticeable, but not drastic difference in the direction that I prefer. The treble now still is not at A10 level by intensity. It is not at C12 either, where treble and upper mids are clearer and more transparent compared to thicker and more intense C16.
I can now wait for C18/C20 more patiently, and very much hope that KZ/CCA will make a winning BA version of C12!

So glad it worked out for you, friend :)

As you said, the difference is subtle, but it is a change for the positive.

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #1,371 of 3,770
I'm a little annoyed that right and left aren't marked on the devices themselves. I'll probably put a sticker or a dab of paint on the right side.
On my C10, I use a phrase, "Red is right". Both words "Red" and "Right" have the letter R. Maybe it works on the C12, too.
YSMMV Your Spelling Mileage May Vary

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #1,372 of 3,770
On my C10, I use a phrase, "Red is right". Both words "Red" and "Right" have the letter R. Maybe it works on the C12, too.
YSMMV Your Spelling Mileage May Vary

If the shells weren't both blue that would work great.

Oct 24, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #1,373 of 3,770
My new C10

Took my brand-new C10 for a little test-drive over the past couple of days.

ibWwCMp.jpg

First impressions:

• Fit is very good. I had no problem with insertion, or the default eartips. They are comfortable, and it would be easy to keep them in my ears for a long time.

• Isolation is above average for a Chi-Fi. Not quite as good as the CNT-1, but it does noticeably cancel noise. For instance, I can barely hear the mechanical keyboard I am typing on right now. Whereas, with the King Pro, I can.

• Very attractive housings. I chose the Cyan colour, and it looks exactly as advertised. The base metal also glimmers silver.

Despite the non-trivial build quality, they aren't heavy at all.

• Cable looks halfway like it is a KZ or NiceHCK upgrade cable, but it isn't. Doesn't make any weird noises, and coils around my ear perfectly.

Now that I've established that it fits well and looks good, how does it sound?

• It's pleasant enough starting out - no screeching or harshness. It's relatively relaxed-listening by KZ standards.
  • Mids are not recessed. If there's a V-shape here, it's not as pronounced as on something like the V80.
  • Vocals are surprisingly clear. I mean, they beat out my CNT-1 often, and are at least on par clarity-wise with the KZ7. This is a key feature of the C10, for me. I have a good chance of having the vocals presented up-front, in an unambigious manner.
This clarity extends to multiple vocals, and male and female vocals are presented simultaneously with ease.

Unfortunately, I find that in some songs, the vocals compete in the foreground with percussion tracks.

• It's easy to drive, and seems made for use with my iPod touch. In combination with its’ pretty decent isolation, this could make it a viable candidate for a low-cost transit IEM.

Now for the bad:

• The C10 handles small groups of instruments / vocals well, and won't miss a beat, but I find it can be a little muddy when presenting larger groups of instruments that are supposed to be part of a big soundstage. It just loses some coherence there.

A few co-existing vocals and instruments seem to be 'stealing' a good deal of the available soundstage, if that makes any sense. The soundstage isn't large.

• It might be lacking subtlety with vocals, in that other IEMs like the King Pro and KZ7 in particular present a high dynamic range and positioning of vocals, but the C10 seems simplified in its vocal positioning and range.

• Although the tuning is relatively inoffensive, it still has some of the KZ steel. I don’t enjoy isolated strings with the C10. It's a softer tuning than the KZ7, yet I find the KZ7 more compelling with certain albums. The KZ7 somehow brings out the intent of a song better for me, whether it be sad or upbeat or whatever. The C10 just feels mellower and more laid-back.

Observations

It is said that the C10 is just the KZ7's drivers retuned. If so, it has led to something noticeably different. The general observations I made here apply: the C10 is more comfortable, easier to deal with in general, less harsh, less peaky. But the KZ7 presents a more compelling sound with its harmonized bass and treble cannon, and throws the sound around in more locations. The C10 is thus kind of a 'lobotomized' KZ7, made to have a permanent smile on its face. It lacks a little flair, and especially élan.

Overall, I'd say it lacks in technicalities compared to more expensive KZ IEMs, or the similarly-priced V80. It's less harsh than perhaps any of those, and makes for easier listening. But its overall quality is 'blunted' in comparison. The fit and cheap price make it convenient and easy to pick up, as it's pretty hassle-free. Easy to recommend for a newcomer.

I found myself using it while I did chores. It doesn't get in the way or demand too much attention. It's like pleasant background music. The tuning has something of a homogenizing effect, which drops technicalities in high bit-rate music, but softens the harshness of low bit-rate tracks. Could be good as an exercise IEM, much like the ZS-10 Pro. It's actually good for chores, because it's so unobtrusive.

Sample Tracks follow (below)

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #1,374 of 3,770
Sample tracks:

• The C10 is puts in a fair effort with The Streets, "Everything is Borrowed," successfully tracking the vocals while pounding out beats, they thud a little, and it doesn't lose track of harmonies, the vocalists sound close to you. But the vocals sound a little off-key compared to some other IEMs. "Heaven for the Weather" gets a little too poundy, with the beats competing in the foreground with the vocals. (Percussion is tighter on the CNT-1, and dynamics are better. But the C10 can compete on vocals).

• Tried "I wouldn't want to be like you" from The Best of The Alan Parsons Project. Again, the C10 is sometimes not sure exactly what to place in the foreground, and vocals were actually recessed. All the instruments were there, but there was a little too much "equality" between them. The superior dynamics of the CNT-1 absolutely blow away the C10 here, fading in and out with greater success, and there's greater variety in instrument sound levels.

• Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" serves as an IEM test for some people. As expected, the C10 catches the vocals in tone and detail. But the percussion is right there, booming a little while it competes with these same vocals. The limited soundstage might be keeping these too close together. Vocal tuning and harmonies are pretty good, similar to the CNT-1.

• The C10 presented Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (Live at Montreux 1981) pretty well on Youtube's recording. There aren't many simultaneous instruments, and they resolve well. Drums are crisp on right-channel, but don't interfere with the melodies. The C10's strengths of non-harsh tuning, presentation of limited instruments, and 'vocals' are allowed to shine here.

Cheers on the C10 are audible and distinct. Instrument separation is decent with this rendition. Drums and percussion are fairly crisp. In comparison to the King Pro on this rendition, the King Pro has better instrument separation, more clearly-defined bass, and even sharper percussion. The guitar highs are more rousing.

But the King Pro's treble was a bit harsh. It was also brighter and not as warm, which is a shortcoming in my view. It makes the King Pro seem a little more sterile. The C10 could match or exceed its vocals. I actually enjoyed this rendition of ‘Tubular Bells’ more with the C10 than any other IEM.

In comparison to the CNT-1, CNT-1 with ‘Tubular Bells’ had superior soundstage, better instrument separation, deeper and tighter bass, and the only thing the C10 could offer in return was a softer presentation that didn't lose mids. This advantage for the C10 was not insignificant, though.

However, the CNT-1 presented Tubular Bells (The Original Remastered), also on Youtube, with less compression, and greater string clarity. [CNT-1 is a compelling performer here.]

• I also found that the C10 presented treble and midrange from the soundtrack to PC game "Underrail" better than my other IEMs, which struggle with it. The C10 was closer to what I expect to hear from computer speakers, in a clear and straightforward manner. But although it digs deep for bass, it starts to decohere there, where other IEMs can go much deeper, more clearly.

• I used "Jessica Jones Main Title (Season 2)" to test the CNT-1, and the C10 actually handles it fairly well. Instrument positioning is a little weaker than the CNT-1, but not by much. The C10 handles the piano and synth strings relatively well. Like the CNT-1, it shines most on the jazzy interlude, rather than the main title itself. Although, the disparity is greater on the CNT-1.

On the second iteration of the Main Title theme, after the jazz interlude, the C10 doesn't handle the echoing melody as clearly as does the CNT-1. Instruments are warmer and somehow richer on the CNT-1, and positioning a little more piquant. With the CNT-1, it's more like I'm in a small jazz lounge.

Note that a less-steely IEM like the CNT-1 (being DD, an unfair comparison, I know) presents string instruments and string-heavy tracks much more cleanly and accurately than the C10.

--

Retro Games

• I also briefly tried the C10 with some retro-ish games, such as Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and Shovel Knight. With Jazz Jackrabbit 2, it was serviceable, although it felt like it mushed everything closer to the mids. Shovel Knight didn't go well, the lo-fi chiptunes sounded harsh, and the lower sounds in the "village" theme simply decohered too much for my liking.

Shovel Knight also went poorly on the CNT-1, but the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 themes were more compelling there, with better bass, better mixing, and I think they kept pace better with the faster music.

The King Pro rendered tracks in Shovel Knight less harshly than the CNT-1 or C10. In Jazz Jackrabbit 2, both music and sound effects were smoother and softer with the King Pro than either the CNT-1 or the C10. The King Pro might be better for these older-styled platformers.

• I also tried these IEMs with Unreal (Gold edition). The CNT-1's somewhat odd soundstage didn't do it any favours here, and altered its sound positioning too readily. This IEM doesn't handle lo-fi sounds very well. The C10's more mid-centric approach and conventional directionality did better here, and the C10 might be okay with System Shock 2 and other games of that era, although I haven't tried it yet.

With the King Pro, the sonic environment in Unreal Gold was encompassing and somewhat compelling, but the lo-fi audio recordings came out harsher than the C10. I would say that only the C10 was acceptable here.

I also tried the C10 with Quake 2, and again it performed okay. It's not a fluke to say that the C10 does okay with 90s-era FPS. It rendered the voices well in the introduction, and it's fairly compelling overall. But the Tin Audio T2 is generally favoured for gaming, and probably beats this.

Tried Quake 2 with the King Pro, it was a little clearer but 'thinner.' Honestly, if you're going to just play 90s FPS, you can do okay with the cheaper C10.

Oct 25, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #1,376 of 3,770
Currently I am using Tin T2, looking for more bass without sacrificing on details. Is CCA C12 or BLON BL 03 a good upgrade for me, can anyone help? My playlist includes genres from Christian Pop, Rock and Jazz most of the time.

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #1,377 of 3,770
Currently I am using Tin T2, looking for more bass without sacrificing on details. Is CCA C12 or BLON BL 03 a good upgrade for me, can anyone help? My playlist includes genres from Christian Pop, Rock and Jazz most of the time.
You can add BLON BL01 to that list. I personally think they are better than the T2 in the bass region while maintaining excellent clarity.

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #1,378 of 3,770
You can add BLON BL01 to that list. I personally think they are better than the T2 in the bass region while maintaining excellent clarity.
Thank you. I saw some users complaints about the driver flex, fitting issue, so so cable etc.. So I thought if CCA C12 is similarly good, Iwould go ahead with C12 as it doesn't suffer much from those few issues on BLON.

Oct 25, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #1,379 of 3,770
Thank you. I saw some users complaints about the driver flex, fitting issue, so so cable etc.. So I thought if CCA C12 is similarly good, Iwould go ahead with C12 as it doesn't suffer much from those few issues on BLON.
I personally think CCA C12 would be technically a better upgrade with the star-line silicone ear tips installed when compared to the T2.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back