CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #603 of 3,770
I really really have enjoyed my C10s but recently picked up the CA4s and I think I enjoy them even more. The C10s have a thick, effortless sound with forward mids, punchy but thick bass and forgiving treble to provide for good extended listening sessions, where the CA4s thin out the mids a bit for a v shaped signature that widens soundstage with crisp but non-sibilant treble and an even punchier, more sub bass emphasized signature. They really complement each other well and both respond very well to the EarStudios equalizer. Really unbelievable what one can get for the coin nowadays. When you compare these with the UE TF10 that went for 100 bucks ten years ago Black Friday, I’d say we’re all a little spoiled today

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #604 of 3,770
I really really have enjoyed my C10s but recently picked up the CA4s and I think I enjoy them even more. The C10s have a thick, effortless sound with forward mids, punchy but thick bass and forgiving treble to provide for good extended listening sessions, where the CA4s thin out the mids a bit for a v shaped signature that widens soundstage with crisp but non-sibilant treble and an even punchier, more sub bass emphasized signature. They really complement each other well and both respond very well to the EarStudios equalizer. Really unbelievable what one can get for the coin nowadays. When you compare these with the UE TF10 that went for 100 bucks ten years ago Black Friday, I’d say we’re all a little spoiled today
Yea, the C10 with the aftermarket mix copper/silver cable are a wonder to have with incredible ease of any genre. But, what surprised me with the CA4 is the incredible upper clarity, and that lower quick bass punch, that kind of has a similar sound signature approach to the C16. I can see these easily being favored for its linear-like sound, which makes them unique to the rest of the CCA lineup!

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #605 of 3,770
Yea, the C10 with the aftermarket mix copper/silver cable are a wonder to have with incredible ease of any genre. But, what surprised me with the CA4 is the incredible upper clarity, and that lower quick bass punch, that kind of has a similar sound signature approach to the C16. I can see these easily being favored for its linear-like sound, which makes them unique to the rest of the CCA lineup!

Have added CA4 to my cart. Now waiting payday to go crazy on AliExpress:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: if i skip on QCY tws qs1 then probably will buy the new KZ cables gold silver and copper silver. One for **** and other for ZSN and CA4. In terms, of mids vs highs vs lows, are CA4 balanced? Or it has recessed mids?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #607 of 3,770
For me, the C10 vs CA4 comparison goes like this: the C10s extra drivers in the middle really help it pressurize the space effortlessly, giving extra emphasis to the middle without muddling it up as what might be expected for such a budgeted attempt, really amazing how coherent they are, but the emphasis in the middle does collapse the soundstage a bit while increases depth of stage.The CA4, with just one ba, does recess the mids a bit but not to the degree that the ZS4 does, which results into a wider soundstage bookended with crisp hi’s and thunderous lows but still very articulate middle. Both the C10 and CA4 are exquisitely tuned pieces of kit and highly recommended. Note that I run them off the EarStudio and liberally add smile type eq to taste, that they eat up with aplomb.

Apr 29, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #608 of 3,770
Find the best tips, with 5db boost under 50hz and I am in heaven, what a bass response, tigh, fast, super clean and deep, just amazing , I love those funny looking blue things
IMG_20190429_185726.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190429_185726.jpg
    IMG_20190429_185726.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #610 of 3,770
Not likely, I suppose against branded ones. But, when tuned right, of course anything is possible. :wink:

...Occassionally, I visit my friends shop in China, and hear the best of the best for hours there. So, when the C16 is tuned right, they are not that much different, IMHO.

I've owned many and either sold or gifted them. You could checkout my profile on my latest ones:
https://www.head-fi.org/members/1clearhead.363120/

-Clear
Just saw your list. So I am guessing you prefer the CCA C16 over the Magaosi MGS - 401? If so, that's already saying a lot :wink:

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #612 of 3,770
Hi Clear, you are right about the tips with very wide bore on C16, the treble sound improved compared to other tips with smaller bore, i made a edit section on my review under the treble impressions, the overall rate is up from 4 to 4.5 stars

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #613 of 3,770
Hi Clear, you are right about the tips with very wide bore, the treble sound improved compared to other tips with smaller bore, i made a edit section on my review under the treble impressions, the overall rate is up from 4 to 4.5 stars

It’s surprising to me how many IEMs improve with wide bore tips.

In my younger years, I used to shy away from wide bore tips because I didn’t like the reduction in low end. But as my tastes became more refined and I really started to appreciate the high end (as well as understand how too much low end can overpower and choke out everything else), I started giving wide bores a chance.

And it has always been amazing to me how much the character of an IEM can change with wide bores. It can go from compressed, boomy, metallic, and shouty with narrow bore tips to a more open, natural, cleaner and pleasant treble presentation.

Which makes a lot of sense. When you speak through a small diameter pipe or cardboard tube, your voice sounds completely different.

I have turned many IEMs from meh to wow by switching to wide bore tips. The only disadvantage of them is the fact that the tips don’t fit securely on many nozzles (bad either don’t fit at all, or are loose and fall off). But I always try my various wide bore tips, and can often find one that fits well enough to at least try it out and see if the sound improves or not.

Why the majority of manufacturers include generic narrow bore tips as (sometimes) the only stock tips is sad. Does no one at these companies tip roll in-house and notice the often positive difference?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #614 of 3,770

In my younger years, I used to shy away from wide bore tips because I didn’t like the reduction in low end. But as my tastes became more refined and I really started to appreciate the high end, I started giving wide bores a chance. And it is amazing how much the character of an IEM can change with wide bores. It’s can go from compressed, boomy, metallic, and shouty with narrow bore tips to open, natural, and easy on the ears.

Which makes a lot of sense. When you speak through a small diameter pipe or cardboard tube, your voice sounds completely different.

I have turned many IEMs from average to wow by switching to wide bore tips. The only disadvantage of them is the fact that the tips don’t fit securely on many nozzles.
agree, **** also likes wide bore tips, however i have in ears that have to be used with middle size(HQ10) or small size bore (ER4S) or the sound is not optimal, but most of the time wide bore is the way to go

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #615 of 3,770

In my younger years, I used to shy away from wide bore tips because I didn’t like the reduction in low end. But as my tastes became more refined and I really started to appreciate the high end, I started giving wide bores a chance. And it is amazing how much the character of an IEM can change with wide bores. It’s can go from compressed, boomy, metallic, and shouty with narrow bore tips to open, natural, and a much cleaner and pleasant treble presentation.

I have turned many IEMs from average to wow by switching to wide bore tips. The only disadvantage of them is the fact that the tips don’t fit securely on many nozzles.
Agree. However sometimes there is just nothing that can be done and comfort and size take precedence and out come the Sony hybrids.

Right now had to settle on a small bore tip for comfort reasons on the BQEZY KC2. Right now have them on the BQ3 and so far they are not causing any pain.
Wide bore sounds much much better on the BQ3 but cant find one that is comfortable and will stay on the fat stubby nozzle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back