CCA in ear monitors Impressions Thread
May 30, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #1,576 of 3,770
Another quick C10 comparison versus Bl-03 Blon-03. Acoustic songs(MQA-encoded) by Banks (Live & Stripped) played on Hiby R3 Pro via Atom Pro DAC.

They both sounded very, very close. The C10 (stock) is a bit more articulate in treble region, and cleaner sounding in upper-bass/low-mids. While BL03 is tad warmer in upper-bass/low-mids with thicker/forward voice presentation. Mechanically, the C10 is much easier to stay put in my ears without resorting to unusual ear-tips like the BL03. Sound-wise, they both handle the selected music quite capably.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #1,577 of 3,770
So I just received my CCA CA16, ordered from the "Official CCA Store" in Ali Express.

20200604_141449.jpg

20200604_141547.jpg

20200604_141922.jpg

I like them!

I only had time to make a brief comparison with the CCA C12 that I love (still do, but perhaps a little less). As a disclaimer, I am also not a reviewer or professional, just a curious amateur. Take my impressions with a pinch of salt.

The build is passable, probably what you would expect given the pictures circulating in the web. Black plastic shell - mine had minor leftovers of glue that were easy enough to remove with the finger. Comfortable to my ears, less so than the smaller CCA C12, but very ergonomic, and better than the KZ ZSX that was a hair bigger. The cable is the typical CCA Cable as can be found on the C12, but the store sent an additional silver plated cable (also similar, but of a different colour) as a treat for the early buy. The seller also sent an additional bag with foam tips.

The sound is great for a $60 earphone, but there are some clear differences from the CCA C12 in that it is less V shaped and mid forward - and not just upper mids, the lower mids too to my ears, though they still play nicely with the upper bass (minimal bleed). This makes it sound thicker compared to the CCA C12.

Mids are detailed, still musical, not dissecting like those of the Shure se535 that I sold for that very reason. Male and female vocals are natural and slightly forward. Instruments sound natural with good timbre, including brass (not metallic like the KZ ZSX) and guitars (the forward midrange does wonders for those). Pianos have body and sound luscious.

Treble is well extended and detailed, but can be masked by the forward mids. Snares and cymbals could probably be reproduced better if the CA16 had a better attack, even though it is BAs that we are talking about, but I can't say for sure if this perception is due to said masking. The CA16 still has the upper hand in the treble department, compared to the C12, the latter sounding thin in contrast.

Contrary to my worst fears, the bass is very well done, extended and textured (I can hear it below 30hz and almost all the way to 20hz), but it is more controlled than the CCA C12's. There is still a good amount of impact.

Imaging is also good, better than the C12's, though I found that soundstage is a toss up - on one hand there are more spacial queues with the CA16, due to its more detailed nature, on the other, the V "shapedness" of the C12 can make male voices and some instruments sound further away from the listener, either way they are not very far.

Looking forward to reading other impressions of them!

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #1,578 of 3,770
So I just received my CCA CA16, ordered from the "Official CCA Store" in Ali Express.

20200604_141449.jpg

20200604_141547.jpg

20200604_141922.jpg

I like them!

I only had time to make a brief comparison with the CCA C12 that I love (still do, but perhaps a little less). As a disclaimer, I am also not a reviewer or professional, just a curious amateur. Take my impressions with a pinch of salt.

The build is passable, probably what you would expect given the pictures circulating in the web. Black plastic shell - mine had minor leftovers of glue that were easy enough to remove with the finger. Comfortable to my ears, less so than the smaller CCA C12, but very ergonomic, and better than the KZ ZSX that was a hair bigger. The cable is the typical CCA Cable as can be found on the C12, but the store sent an additional silver plated cable (also similar, but of a different colour) as a treat for the early buy. The seller also sent an additional bag with foam tips.

The sound is great for a $60 earphone, but there are some clear differences from the CCA C12 in that it is less V shaped and mid forward - and not just upper mids, the lower mids too to my ears, though they still play nicely with the upper bass (minimal bleed). This makes it sound thicker compared to the CCA C12.

Mids are detailed, still musical, not dissecting like those of the Shure se535 that I sold for that very reason. Male and female vocals are natural and slightly forward. Instruments sound natural with good timbre, including brass (not metallic like the KZ ZSX) and guitars (the forward midrange does wonders for those). Pianos have body and sound luscious.

Treble is well extended and detailed, but can be masked by the forward mids. Snares and cymbals could probably be reproduced better if the CA16 had a better attack, even though it is BAs that we are talking about, but I can't say for sure if this perception is due to said masking. The CA16 still has the upper hand in the treble department, compared to the C12, the latter sounding thin in contrast.

Contrary to my worst fears, the bass is very well done, extended and textured (I can hear it below 30hz and almost all the way to 20hz), but it is more controlled than the CCA C12's. There is still a good amount of impact.

Imaging is also good, better than the C12's, though I found that soundstage is a toss up - on one hand there are more spacial queues with the CA16, due to its more detailed nature, on the other, the V "shapedness" of the C12 can make male voices and some instruments sound further away from the listener, either way they are not very far.

Thanks for the impressions and I have some on the way from the same store but how did you get them so fast?

Jun 4, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #1,579 of 3,770
Thanks for the impressions and I have some on the way from the same store but how did you get them so fast?
They simply arrived in the mail this morning... I guess I was lucky!

Edit: they were dispatched on the 28th of May, so I was pretty lucky for Ali Express standards

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #1,580 of 3,770
They simply arrived in the mail this morning... I guess I was lucky!

Edit: they were dispatched on the 28th of May, so I was pretty lucky for Ali Express standards

You must be very lucky. I am waiting on something from 2 months ago.

My CA16 were dispatched on the 1st June with the AliExpress standard shipping method.

What was the shipping method?

Jun 4, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #1,581 of 3,770
You must be very lucky. I am waiting on something from 2 months ago.

My CA16 were dispatched on the 1st June with the AliExpress standard shipping method.

What was the shipping method?

AliExpress Standard Shipping method

1591300613317.png

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #1,582 of 3,770
AliExpress Standard Shipping method

1591300613317.png

Thanks for the info.

I have used the same method as it was around 80p more expensive so not much and seems to be much faster from how quick you received it.

The Blon S1 I have been waiting 2 months for was with "China Post Registered Air Mail". Maybe this postal service is inferior as it took a month to even leave China and no update since 3rd May?

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,583 of 3,770

20200604_141449.jpg

20200604_141547.jpg

20200604_141922.jpg

I like them!

and how do you rate them compared to kz zsx? im interested in bass particularly but full comprehension is recommended since zsx is bang for buck

Jun 5, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #1,584 of 3,770

20200604_141449.jpg

20200604_141547.jpg

20200604_141922.jpg

I like them!

The shell is very similar to KZ Z1, the size, shape, and even metal nozzle. Wonder if they are using exact same shell (or at least mold). Even the eartips also exactly the same as Z1 tips. The "new" packaging style also the same.
Nice impressions btw! better than C12 is a praise!

Jun 5, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #1,586 of 3,770
I personally prefer the CCA C12 to the KZ ZSX (I gave away the ZSX recently) because of the C12's more natural sound (especially for brass), better bass resolution and less pronounced V shaped. That is my preference, and if you are considering the ZSX you might prefer its more exciting nature. The CA16 takes another step in the direction of less exciting (still exciting), more neutral and natural sounding.

The more I listen to the CA16 the more I think it is less of a universal IEM that makes everything sound good (like the C12) and more of a picky affair, some recordings sounding gorgeous others a bit bland - I listen mostly to jazz, fusion, acoustic music and some orchestral.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #1,587 of 3,770
I personally prefer the CCA C12 to the KZ ZSX (I gave away the ZSX recently) because of the C12's more natural sound (especially for brass), better bass resolution and less pronounced V shaped. That is my preference, and if you are considering the ZSX you might prefer its more exciting nature. The CA16 takes another step in the direction of less exciting (still exciting), more neutral and natural sounding.

The more I listen to the CA16 the more I think it is less of a universal IEM that makes everything sound good (like the C12) and more of a picky affair, some recordings sounding gorgeous others a bit bland - I listen mostly to jazz, fusion, acoustic music and some orchestral.
So which genres did you find favorable to the CA16 ?
or
Is the setup only good for very specific recordings ?

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #1,588 of 3,770
So which genres did you find favorable to the CA16 ?
or
Is the setup only good for very specific recordings ?

What I meant is that it won't be as forgiving of poor recordings as the C12. The genres I listed are just my personal bias.

But, perhaps complementary to that, I found that the CA16 is tip sensitive (for me at least) due to the two vents facing the inside of the ear. They included silicon tips are short (though comfortable) and the fit with them is so tight that the vents are covered and sound becomes muffled/congested. Solved using a pair of old Senheiser CX300II tips, thus my impressions are still evolving.

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #1,589 of 3,770
Continuing impressions of the CCA CA16, with the right tips, the sound stage jumps further away, and the treble suddenly makes sense. What I still find amazing is how much body the sound has, it reminds me of my Senheiser HD 650. Sitting here listening to Djesse Vol. 2 by Jacob Collier with the CA16 is just amazing. I also think that it took a couple of days to break away from the brain burnin that I had from the C12s with their more V shaped signature.

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #1,590 of 3,770
Continuing impressions of the CCA CA16, with the right tips, the sound stage jumps further away, and the treble suddenly makes sense. What I still find amazing is how much body the sound has, it reminds me of my Senheiser HD 650. Sitting here listening to Djesse Vol. 2 by Jacob Collier with the CA16 is just amazing. I also think that it took a couple of days to break away from the brain burnin that I had from the C12s with their more V shaped signature.
do you think ca16 are siutable for dance and techno [blank an jones - desire]? there is enough of bass? or better work do zsx?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back