Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Apr 29, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #2,431 of 3,665
20220429_141751.jpg

Bought one earlier this week from MusicTeck and they just arrived.
I normally don't put too much stock into burn-in, but with my R-2R experience, I've seen some subtle changes over time with burn-in and also with just leaving them on. Now gotta figure out how to keep this thing warm. :)

Initial impressions out of the box:
Warm lows, generally soft sound. Upper-mids is slightly peak with a bit of harshness. Treble is roll-off but gently and not bothersome. (generally sweet).
Using the Unique Melody MEST Custom with 4.4mm balance cable.

Apr 29, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #2,432 of 3,665
20220429_141751.jpg

Bought one earlier this week from MusicTeck and they just arrived.
I normally don't put too much stock into burn-in, but with my R-2R experience, I've seen some subtle changes over time with burn-in and also with just leaving them on. Now gotta figure out how to keep this thing warm. :)

Warm lows, generally soft sound. Upper-mids is slightly peak with a bit of harshness. Treble is roll-off but gently and not bothersome. (generally sweet).
How do you feel the RU6 compares to the iBasso DAP?

Apr 29, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #2,433 of 3,665
How do you feel the RU6 compares to the iBasso DAP?

Very brief and quick impressions:

Song: Joy of my Life from Chris Stapleton

iBasso DX240 (Amp8 MK2) - This one is slightly more leaner, but with a small amount of better clarity and detail. It sounds a little more effortless and graceful with a more balanced and even sound signature. It has more mature sound to it overall.

RU-6, NOS - This is much more mid-focused sounding, and with more emphasis on the low-mids and mid-bass region. There's more meat in drum kicks, and Stapleton's voice sounds deeper and thicker. Overall warmer tonality.

I already starting to hear the upper-mid harshness wearing out now after about 30 mins of use. :)

Apr 29, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #2,434 of 3,665
While using with the DX160, in NOS mode, see it as a little more forward in the mids, bass and treble almost the same. I use this almost always in NOS. Still trying to balance its positioning when attached to another device. First time using such a dongle. I really like its signature. I've been a DAP guy for so long that it's a change for me. Listening to Ringo on my Macbook and it's great:

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #2,435 of 3,665
CUT

If U hear harshness after burn-in, I suggest to connect RU6 to e.g. phone rather PC. I think low powered usbs something taming those peaks :thumbsup:

May 1, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #2,436 of 3,665
What smartphone do you use with your ru6 dongle? I've been using my LG V30 for many years, never felt the need to upgrade smartphone often because I only use it to make phone calls, music listening and occasionally check emails. Unfortunately my V30 isn't working properly anymore, and LG discontinued making phones and so I thought about choosing other brand

May 1, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #2,437 of 3,665
What smartphone do you use with your ru6 dongle? I've been using my LG V30 for many years, never felt the need to upgrade smartphone often because I only use it to make phone calls, music listening and occasionally check emails. Unfortunately my V30 isn't working properly anymore, and LG discontinued making phones and so I thought about choosing other brand
It is a V30 I use, although I have been of late using my old phone - HTC Desire 10 pro with a micro USB to USB C OTG adapter. Have purchased a second hand V40 to supersede the HTC, but also to sample for myself the difference in tuning between the Bang & Olufsen Quad DAC v Meridian's.

May 1, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #2,438 of 3,665
iPhone, 13 or 12 or, idk actually. iOS 14 maybe, super don't care, and doesn't matter.
If you are buying to also be the best transport for the RU6, get the biggest battery you can find with as much power to external devices they advertise. Limitless if possible, lol.

May 2, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #2,439 of 3,665
I switch between LG G7, LG G8x & Tab S6 for portable use. If you are looking for a phone with a good DAC, ROG Phone 5 looks like a good replacement for LG. The X10T II is also an interesting product, should provide a clean signal but not sure if it outputs enough power to drive a batteryless DAC.

May 2, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #2,440 of 3,665
Just got the ru6 from musictek open box sale a few days back, I've been listening to it as much as my batteries will allow sourced out of an ibasso dx160 directly into dunu zen pro iems, and also having it feed into my xduoo mt604 both into zen pros and a creative stage air soundbar. I've been listening exclusively in os mode to many flac files and some bt streaming the audio from my phone(mostly YouTube videos).

I have been very impressed by a clear improvement across the board, exceptional vocals and truly amazing clarity in the bass rumble. The difference is so clear that I can't listen to the dx160 on its own anymore, without either the tubes mt604 or the r2r ru6(or both) the dx160 sounds weak, slow, muddied, just unmistakably worse in all respects... and yet just a couple months ago I was impressed by how awesome an improvement the dx160 alone was over my phone and laptop audio...I guess that's just how this hobby goes:beerchug:

May 2, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #2,441 of 3,665

May 2, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #2,442 of 3,665
Cayin RU6 + PW First Times Type C to Type C is wow. The sonic improvement is big.

After seeing this post, I am gonna do a bit of testing today with some lower cost options, just to see what kind of difference they make. Of course, these are not at the level of the First Times. . .

20220502_054019.jpg

May 2, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #2,444 of 3,665
Can someone give me a rundown of the top differences between Class A (that I own) and R2R? Is it worth?
Well the quick rundown is class a refers to a type of amp, while r2r is a type of dac...r2r is usually compared to delta sigma dacs, which is the only other type of dac I know, generally r2r is said to give better vocals and a more natural sound, but that is an over simplification.

May 2, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #2,445 of 3,665
After seeing this post, I am gonna do a bit of testing today with some lower cost options, just to see what kind of difference they make. Of course, these are not at the level of the First Times. . .

The GU Craftsman for the win, with deeper harder hitting bass, more detail and bite in the mids and highs, bigger/deeper stage expansion, and a blacker background. The DD Hifi was very similar to the stock Cayin cable, being a bit smoother in the mids and top end. Now, I am interested in seeing what some higher end offerings will bring. . .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back