Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Dec 19, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #1,066 of 3,665
Am I imagining things or does the sound on this RU6 thing get crispier and more interestingly dynamic as one puts more hours on it? I have always liked the sound, right from the beginning, but it seems to be playing with even more "swagger" today.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #1,067 of 3,665
While I like many things the RU6 does soundwise, I unfortunately also have a problem with the upper mids / treble. There's a certain harshness (etch?) that makes the RU6 a little (too) fatiguing to my ears. This has not disappeared after 74 hours of burn in yet. Still hoping.
Do you warm up your RU6 before using it? Like all R2R DACs, it needs a certain amount of time for the resistors to warm up properly, you can feel it to the touch also when it's warm. In order not to drain the battery of my phone when not playing, I keep it connected to my laptop when not playing, so that it is ready at all times. I am also treble sensitive and I feel no harshness.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #1,068 of 3,665
Are you using 4.4mm or 3.5mm output?
To me, W2 also has sibilance on upper mids from 4.4mm output. In comparison, 3.5mm output doesn't have it.
I was comparing to the PAW S2, not the W2, in case you misread my post.

I have never been interested in the W2, because sound signature is too similar to RU6. S2 is different. But RU6 brings a lot to the table that S2 and W2 don't. Disclaimer: I have not heard the W2 with my own ears.

I am using 4.4mm.

I think I'll keep both now. RU6 and S2 are both great in their own right. Oh dear, this hobby...

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #1,069 of 3,665
Am I imagining things or does the sound on this RU6 thing get crispier and more interestingly dynamic as one puts more hours on it? I have always liked the sound, right from the beginning, but it seems to be playing with even more "swagger" today.
More then the hours you put on it, what matters more is the time you warm it up before using it. See my reply to @econaut in the post above this one

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #1,070 of 3,665
I was comparing to the PAW S2, not the W2, in case you misread my post.

I have never been interested in the W2, because sound signature is too similar to RU6. S2 is different. But RU6 brings a lot to the table that S2 and W2 don't. Disclaimer: I have not heard the W2 with my own ears.

I am using 4.4mm.

I think I'll keep both now. RU6 and S2 are both great in their own right. Oh dear, this hobby...
I read correct. I am also right now keeping my S1 because W2 that I own, sound harsh on highs when I use 4.4, but it sounds fantastic from 3.5. I am also a walkman user, all my cables are 4.4. So, I keep looking for a better dongle with 4.4 output that can replace at least my wm1a. Seems like RU6 isn’t what I am looking for.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #1,071 of 3,665
Do you warm up your RU6 before using it? Like all R2R DACs, it needs a certain amount of time for the resistors to warm up properly, you can feel it to the touch also when it's warm. In order not to drain the battery of my phone when not playing, I keep it connected to my laptop when not playing, so that it is ready at all times. I am also treble sensitive and I feel no harshness.
Well, not really. But I will test if this helps. Thanks for reminding me.

I own Yggdrasil and Bifrost 2 and have owned Gungnir and Bifrost 1. So I know that, but it's something different with stationary gear. My Yggdrasil and other components are on 24/7 because of this at my two channel setup. Contributing a not insignificant amount to my electricity bill here in Germany...

But how do you do that? You leave the RU6 connected to the laptop and then disconnect it and connect it to your phone? Do you do this switch swiftly?

Because this is not how the "warm up" works. It is not about temperature, but about a state of "electrical equilibrium" as I understand it (I am not a tech guy). So temperature is a byproduct, but not the reason for the improvement in sound. Actually the more bits the DAC has, the longer it needs to "warm up". I am talking about Schiit multibit here, but I guess it's the same with R2R.

Still, a swift switch or very short power off might not disrupt this state of "electrical equilibrium", I have indeed read about this. So this might work. In the end the ears decide, not theory.

Maybe some more knowleadgable people can chime in. Or others who notice a difference after RU6 warm up.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #1,072 of 3,665
After about 100 hours of burn in and lot of listening I don't think I have an issue with treble etch. Because the mids are nice fuzzy and warm, the treble can sometimes feel as if it stands out but its not really the case. My earmen sparrow is I would say now brighter.. I really enjoy the RU6 now it gives a pleasant listen especially with IEMs

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #1,073 of 3,665
I read correct. I am also right now keeping my S1 because W2 that I own, sound harsh on highs when I use 4.4, but it sounds fantastic from 3.5. I am also a walkman user, all my cables are 4.4. So, I keep looking for a better dongle with 4.4 output that can replace at least my wm1a. Seems like RU6 isn’t what I am looking for.
Maybe just upgrade to the S2?

@OspreyAndy says in this post that RU6 and S2 are better than W2, which would mean that the S2 is a major step from the S1 (in regard to his ranking here). I have not heard the S1 myself.

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #1,074 of 3,665
Maybe just upgrade to the S2?

@OspreyAndy says in this post that RU6 and S2 are better than W2, which would mean that the S2 is a major step from the S1 (in regard to his ranking here). I have not heard the S1 myself.
Thanks for the info, I will study his ranking. :thumbsup:
Some people say that is a major step some say it's minor. That is why I keep asking what output that they using. :relieved:
For example, W2 from 3.5mm sound so good, that in most aspect (bass, mids) is better than WM1A, however, from 4.4 output, sound slightly better in quality and worse in timbre than S1 from 4.4.
Since the dongles for each output implement amplification differently, the sound from 3.5 and 4.4 in most cases sounds differently...

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #1,075 of 3,665
But how do you do that? You leave the RU6 connected to the laptop and then disconnect it and connect it to your phone? Do you do this switch swiftly?
Yes, I only detach the dongle from the laptop when I'm ready to use it, and attach it to my dedicated streaming phone (LG V30+) immediately. Let us know if it works for you also.

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #1,076 of 3,665
Thanks for the info, I will study his ranking. :thumbsup:
Some people say that is a major step some say it's minor. That is why I keep asking what output that they using. :relieved:
For example, W2 from 3.5mm sound so good, that in most aspect (bass, mids) is better than WM1A, however, from 4.4 output, sound slightly better in quality and worse in timbre than S1 from 4.4.
Since the dongles for each output implement amplification differently, the sound from 3.5 and 4.4 in most cases sounds differently...
I had the wm1a from memory the single ended was not great. The 4.4mm was leagues better but boring to my liking, since it felt too warm enveloping. When I had the paw s1 and wm1a side by side. The wm1a was a better all encompassing experience. I’ve had the w2 and using it with ier m9, I feel like I enjoyed it quite well out of 4.4. But going to ru6 , feels like an even more improved sound experience that seems so natural. Not sure how the wm1a would have compared with ru6 side by side physically. But I can say, I enjoy thr ru6 more and get bored far less by comparison if memory serves well.

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #1,077 of 3,665
I had the wm1a from memory the single ended was not great. The 4.4mm was leagues better but boring to my liking, since it felt too warm enveloping. When I had the paw s1 and wm1a side by side. The wm1a was a better all encompassing experience. I’ve had the w2 and using it with ier m9, I feel like I enjoyed it quite well out of 4.4. But going to ru6 , feels like an even more improved sound experience that seems so natural. Not sure how the wm1a would have compared with ru6 side by side physically. But I can say, I enjoy thr ru6 more and get bored far less by comparison if memory serves well.
Interesting. Do you remember how WM1A and S1 compared in terms of warmth and smoothness on 4.4mm?

It's impossible for me to compare from memory, because I use different headphones (Andromedas with WM1A and Cascades now with RU6/S2).

I agree about RU6 sounding very natural/realistic (in direct comparison to S2).

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #1,078 of 3,665
Welp. I’m giving up. I’m using the RU6 with my balanced cable on my ipad… not what I’d hoped for, but it’s where I’m at and so therefore that means… piss on using it with the iPhone 12 max. I was hoping to use the camera adaptor, but I cannot. I took the camera adaptor back on Friday night. Screw that… I’ll take my $40 back for the adaptor if I cannot put it to use. The RU6? I like it. I had my hopes high on portability… that’s not the case for me. Sorry… but it’s not. 😢😢😢😢😢😢

If someone has some bright ideas for me… let me know… or I’m done. Simple as that.

This mainly applies to the 4.4mm balanced… I’m not messing with the unbalanced… why should I? I have the balanced for a reason… not to just set there and look pretty. 😢😢😢😢

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #1,079 of 3,665
Interesting. Do you remember how WM1A and S1 compared in terms of warmth and smoothness on 4.4mm?

It's impossible for me to compare from memory, because I use different headphones (Andromedas with WM1A and Cascades now with RU6/S2).

I agree about RU6 sounding very natural/realistic (in direct comparison to S2).
Since I had one iem as my reference point. It’s comparatively simpler. Smoother maybe you can say about s1, there was a bass elevation for sure, and the treble took a backstage. Wm1a had a way better treble and resolution. It’s more realistic. It sort of comes down to preference what signature you would like. The staging was limited on the S1.

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #1,080 of 3,665
@Andykong would the USB-c to lightning cable make to where I can use the RU6 on my iPhone? If so, I’ll buy the cable… but if not, I won’t bother. It’s my last option, as I’ve given up on listening to music while charging it… that’s a 100% flop of an idea… sorta on my part. Figured I’d ask, before purchasing. 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back