Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp
Nov 9, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #92 of 3,665
@Andykong, so no ios support confirmed? (asking as I could move on and not wait lol) thanks!
Our R&D has tested RU6 with Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, it works fine with several iPhone, however we cannot guarantee that Apple won't change their systems down the road, I doubt if any vendor can guarantee that unless we go through the Apple MFI certification.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 9, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #93 of 3,665
Our R&D has tested RU6 with Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, it works fine with several iPhone, however we cannot guarantee that Apple won't change their systems down the road, I doubt if any vendor can guarantee that unless we go through the Apple MFI certification.
Maybe Apple should do the only things that makes sense and use USB-C finally. I mean they do have only USB-C on their laptops...

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #96 of 3,665
Would it work on iPad with usb c port directly without the camera kit?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #97 of 3,665
My experience is that USB dongle DACs work perfectly with iPads via USB C.

On the other hand, using the camera connection kit with iPhone introduces a lot of noise and interference for me. Not something I like using at all.

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #98 of 3,665
My experience is that USB dongle DACs work perfectly with iPads via USB C.

On the other hand, using the camera connection kit with iPhone introduces a lot of noise and interference for me. Not something I like using at all.
I see. Thanks for sharing your experience

Nov 9, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #99 of 3,665

I thought the iPad Pro has USB-C but the iPad is still lightning? I am an Android man so I am very ignorant about Apple products, but I have used iPad Pro as digital transport in audio shows and their USB Audio output is among the best in tablet products, so I am quite sure RU6 won't have any problem with that.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 9, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #100 of 3,665
Quite possible-you can even argue the W2 already knocks out most $1-1.5k DAPs from a pure sound quality aspect. It's really just the use case of battery burn/not having a separate LO'd music player that can be an inconvenience to most.
I don't think it knocks out $1-1.5k DAPs. More like less than $1k.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #101 of 3,665
give it 2 - 3 years and dongles will run the portable game.
I used to think that, but now I don't. I much prefer the DAP user experience vs. dongle. I own S1, S2 and W2. My favorite at the moment is S2 and I use it for very long walks (> 2 hours) when weight really matters. Otherwise, I prefer my DX300 for sound quality, battery life and usability.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #102 of 3,665
Yes it's all subjective in the end. I mean what I consider great sound could undoubtedly be considered mediocre by some.

Honestly other than power output and impedance matching I don't notice much difference between daps or dongles. Especially when using easy to drive stuff.

Now something like cayin n8 or n3 pro with tubes or calyx m or Sony z1 or R2R2000 I do notice because of the more organic warm tuned signatures.

I now buy alot more toward user experience and aesthetics then pure sound because even r3p or m3x sounds really good to my ears. Of course I do notice extra power and headroom of other bigger more $$$ daps but not that much with my iems.

This though should have a very nice and rich sound sig from the ladder architecture.

I like smaller and more compact daps myself, so that limits quite a lot of units to me. I also like daps more than dongles but I think RU6 will have a unique sig and I will think of it as a r2r mini dac/amp. All that really matters in the end is that you personally like the gear you have.

No other opinions really matter.

I do think dongles will eventually take over or audio grade smartphones just because everyone has a smartphone. And just because I think it's cool to have a stand alone dap I realize I'm in the minority.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #103 of 3,665
I don't think it knocks out $1-1.5k DAPs. More like less than $1k.

It doesn't knock off the $699 Dethonray Honey. I find the W2 gives a false sense of detail by elevating the upper mids and treble but the quality of the timbre is quite digital. It kind of has that sabre glare thing going on, like the Geek Out series.

Hopefully the R2R of the RU6 will avoid this issue and give us a more natural timbre.

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #104 of 3,665
It doesn't knock off the $699 Dethonray Honey. I find the W2 gives a false sense of detail by elevating the upper mids and treble but the quality of the timbre is quite digital. It kind of has that sabre glare thing going on, like the Geek Out series.

Hopefully the R2R of the RU6 will avoid this issue and give us a more natural timbre.
have you tried uapp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back