Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Mar 4, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #3,227 of 3,873
Thanks for spending time to test out the problem, I'll note this issue and review the problem when we have the opportunity.

Can you show me a picture of your 400GB and 1TB TF card, I'll keep this for reference purpose.
Just for info, I was able to get my 1tb working with a fat32 formatting. The n8 doesn't crash anymore like it used to with the original formatting (exfat). Of course I would have preferred to keep the original file system, because fat32 has more limitations, but i don't think it is a big problem for this kind of use. I have used the 1tb for more than one week and no problem so far. The N8 doesn't crash constantly anymore

For people who have problem with their card and want to try to format it in Fat32, you can't format with windows a sdxc card you have to use a app like aomi partition assistant (free version available) to do that. You won't be able then to Transfer files of more than 4gb on the card

Mar 4, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #3,228 of 3,873
I dont use a case , no issues.

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #3,229 of 3,873
German Synth day
20200305_153331.jpg

20200305_154033.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #3,231 of 3,873
Yes, that is how it works. If you move and wait a second, the album covers fill in( if present). This is why a number of us have said the interface is simple and easy to use, but nothing like an iPhone. The N8 is about sound quality. If you are more concerned about features, etc. purchase something else. Though I do feel at its price point, a bit more effort should have been given to this area. I do feel it still has the best sound of any DAP. Tks.
Indeed is one of the best sounding DAPs i’ve heard, and the sweetest tone ever in a DAP, but this glitching screen is really annoying, even it’s frozen when i use the volume dial...
It is really normal?,
the units of you guys have a similar behavior?
My previous N8 was slow in response but it didn’t have tearing or frozen behaviors at all...
i have no response at all from Cayin or @Andykong
And...it is no response about a new firmware to cover the glitches from the 3.0 version...

Mar 15, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #3,234 of 3,873
Now that I have spent 2 months with my N8, here is my mini-review.

If you have been in this hobby for a while, it takes a really stand-out device to impress you. I have been in this hobby for 5 years and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed by the N8. Regardless of using the device as a DAP or, a DAC in my desktop chain, the sound is simply addictive. Although I was impressed by its DAC section from day one, I had mixed feelings about the headphone outs initially, as I was mostly using the N8 to drive the LCDi4 with a very warm cable. After I switched back to the stock cable on the i4 and started using other IEMs too, I was completely hooked to the sound from its headphone outs, both 4.4mm Balanced and Tube mode. Actually the Tube mode and Balanced don’t sound far from each other. And since I know how it’s DAC section sounds, I can say that the 4.4mm Bal is an almost exact representation of the DAC section, with the Tube mode being a richer/sweeter take on it by just a smidge.

N8 replaced my Hugo 2, which was an analytical sounding device. With the Hugo 2, I could analyze an IEM’s sound in a matter of just minutes. It’s technical prowess was astounding, but it just couldn’t get me into the music. In that regard, N8 has been quite the opposite experience, regardless of whether I am using it as a DAP or a desktop DAC. Its sound is so engaging that I just don’t want to stop listening to it. While the N8 is no slouch in technicalities, it can’t match the timing/precision, airiness, separation and transparency of the Hugo 2. But it’s warm and sweet tone/timbre just keeps you coming back for more. Actually there are many warm and sweet sounding devices in the market. But what sets the N8 apart is its timbre, which sounds very realistic and convincing. Another stand-out feature of N8’s sound is, how hard it hits in the bass. It’s the hardest hitting DAP I’ve heard to date. Although I must add that it doesn’t go very deep in the sub-bass.

But the device is not without its faults, as the user experience leaves you wishing for more. Apart from being huge and heavy, it’s weird shape results in a less than comfortable experience to use it as a hand held device. While it’s chassis is built like a tank, the knobs are rattle-y and finicky. The screen is on the smaller side for a device this big and the battery life is just acceptable. To overcome most of these inconvenience, I pair the device to my iPhone using Bluetooth and use the Hiby link feature to control the N8 from my phone’s Hiby app.

Overall, I am mighty impressed by its sound, but feel slightly let down by its hardware. I am willing to look past it’s hardware kinks, as I don’t think I can find another device that can sound as good as the N8 in both DAC and DAP mode.

Mar 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #3,235 of 3,873
Now that I have spent 2 months with my N8, here is my mini-review.

If you have been in this hobby for a while, it takes a really stand-out device to impress you. I have been in this hobby for 5 years and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed by the N8. Regardless of using the device as a DAP or, a DAC in my desktop chain, the sound is simply addictive. Although I was impressed by its DAC section from day one, I had mixed feelings about the headphone outs initially, as I was mostly using the N8 to drive the LCDi4 with a very warm cable. After I switched back to the stock cable on the i4 and started using other IEMs too, I was completely hooked to the sound from its headphone outs, both 4.4mm Balanced and Tube mode. Actually the Tube mode and Balanced don’t sound far from each other. And since I know how it’s DAC section sounds, I can say that the 4.4mm Bal is an almost exact representation of the DAC section, with the Tube mode being a richer/sweeter take on it by just a smidge.

N8 replaced my Hugo 2, which was an analytical sounding device. With the Hugo 2, I could analyze an IEM’s sound in a matter of just minutes. It’s technical prowess was astounding, but it just couldn’t get me into the music. In that regard, N8 has been quite the opposite experience, regardless of whether I am using it as a DAP or a desktop DAC. Its sound is so engaging that I just don’t want to stop listening to it. While the N8 is no slouch in technicalities, it can’t match the timing/precision, airiness, separation and transparency of the Hugo 2. But it’s warm and sweet tone/timbre just keeps you coming back for more. Actually there are many warm and sweet sounding devices in the market. But what sets the N8 apart is its timbre, which sounds very realistic and convincing. Another stand-out feature of N8’s sound is, how hard it hits in the bass. It’s the hardest hitting DAP I’ve heard to date. Although I must add that it doesn’t go very deep in the sub-bass.

But the device is not without its faults, as the user experience leaves you wishing for more. Apart from being huge and heavy, it’s weird shape results in a less than comfortable experience to use it as a hand held device. While it’s chassis is built like a tank, the knobs are rattle-y and finicky. The screen is on the smaller side for a device this big and the battery life is just acceptable. To overcome most of these inconvenience, I pair the device to my iPhone using Bluetooth and use the Hiby link feature to control the N8 from my phone’s Hiby app.

Overall, I am mighty impressed by its sound, but feel slightly let down by its hardware. I am willing to look past it’s hardware kinks, as I don’t think I can find another device that can sound as good as the N8 in both DAC and DAP mode.
Pretty much right on. If it had a much better interface, aside from it size, no one could ever knock it. I got mine because it sounded the best and did not care much about the interface. Great review.

Mar 15, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #3,236 of 3,873
Pretty much right on. If it had a much better interface, aside from it size, no one could ever knock it. I got mine because it sounded the best and did not care much about the interface. Great review.

Same here

Occasional glitches
Shtty screen
Feels like a brick

But I put up with it because it sounds so darn good.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #3,237 of 3,873
20200318_185909.jpg

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #3,238 of 3,873
Mar 20, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #3,239 of 3,873
Good mini review, I've had my N8 BB since September last year (upgrade from QP2R) and I love it. Fits very well SQ wise with my Utopias using Balanced output & OIDIO Mongrel Series cable (fantastic performance, service & price btw from OIDIO). The comment about the chunky boy DAP made me smile as I compared to my S20 but the phone is much less useful in my life than the uplifting value of my N8 BB. I haven't had any issues mercifully and I'm happy with the lack of true streaming when I read the comments by SP2000 owners on their thread (poor things). And the smart leather man bag or purse as Cheeky Boy (jmills8) calls it works perfectly, some might want a chunky hot DAP in their pants but I don't and it has ensured that my lovely N8 hasn't crashed onto any concrete.
Been listening this morning to Caravan Palace (last two albums), Aurora at 24/96, Epic 45 and Shura's Nothing's Real. Yes, my Hugo 2 I'm using as my N8 charges is a different sound, completely agree with those comments too.

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #3,240 of 3,873
Good mini review, I've had my N8 BB since September last year (upgrade from QP2R) and I love it. Fits very well SQ wise with my Utopias using Balanced output & OIDIO Mongrel Series cable (fantastic performance, service & price btw from OIDIO). The comment about the chunky boy DAP made me smile as I compared to my S20 but the phone is much less useful in my life than the uplifting value of my N8 BB. I haven't had any issues mercifully and I'm happy with the lack of true streaming when I read the comments by SP2000 owners on their thread (poor things). And the smart leather man bag or purse as Cheeky Boy (jmills8) calls it works perfectly, some might want a chunky hot DAP in their pants but I don't and it has ensured that my lovely N8 hasn't crashed onto any concrete.
Been listening this morning to Caravan Palace (last two albums), Aurora at 24/96, Epic 45 and Shura's Nothing's Real. Yes, my Hugo 2 I'm using as my N8 charges is a different sound, completely agree with those comments too.
I doubt there is any IEM the N8 cannot make sound better. That would be interesting: is there and IEM that would not match well with the N8? I don’t see how given the power and sound quality the N8 can produce. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else found something different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back