Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Oct 20, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #3,526 of 3,873
So this isn’t meant to drive the HD800 or HD800s headphones in a portable manner? Why not? Excuse my question but I’m a Noobie and was looking at this for my HD800s. Thanks to anyone who answers.

N8 maybe good for IEMs, but when it comes to HD800S, it is not really comparable to a proper amp...

IMG_20201020_125438.jpg

Using the N8 (4.4, Hi Gain, P+ mode), vs. 3.5mm LO to either iFi iDSD BL or WA8, the sound stage and note density from N8 is ok to listen, but not really at the level of BL or WA8.

Believe a proper desktop amp, maybe even an entry level with sufficient output, will do a better job in driving HD800s or similar HPs than a N8 does

Just my 2 cents.

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #3,527 of 3,873
N8 maybe good for IEMs, but when it comes to HD800S, it is not really comparable to a proper amp...

IMG_20201020_125438.jpg

Using the N8 (4.4, Hi Gain, P+ mode), vs. 3.5mm LO to either iFi iDSD BL or WA8, the sound stage and note density from N8 is ok to listen, but not really at the level of BL or WA8.

Believe a proper desktop amp, maybe even an entry level with sufficient output, will do a better job in driving HD800s or similar HPs than a N8 does

Just my 2 cents.
Ok so a Chord Hugo 2 & 2 Go would be better? Similar money right?

Oct 24, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #3,530 of 3,873
Hi @Andykong, just wanted to ask you to do something for your future flagship model:
When selecting "Artist" or "album" then the list starts right at the top with "A", right? So when I have thousands of songs and want to get quickly to an album that begins with a "U", then I would have to swipe down half an hour until I reach that "U". I know, with the new firmware I would be able to search. BUT it would be very convenient if you could also include small letters on the right side like I have it on my Calyx M DAP, so when you click on the right side of the screen, you get immediately to the albums that begin with the letter "U" or whatever letter you want (I added a picture, so you know what I mean) ... sooo, please forward that to your technicians that are building your new DAPs, that would be great! :)

Thank you for your suggestion, we don't have any non-Android DAP project in our plan, but we can consider your suggestion on N3Pro refinement.

Our software resource is nowhere near Calyx-M development. From what I read in the early discussion (before Calyx-M roll out), Calyx-M had the privilege to deploy supply-chain and software resources from Samsung, that's why they can get CPU and screen that were not available to other DAP brands at that time, and the OS/UI was a heavily skinned Android, so some of the their UI were very unique and innovative at that time.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 24, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #3,531 of 3,873
So this isn’t meant to drive the HD800 or HD800s headphones in a portable manner? Why not? Excuse my question but I’m a Noobie and was looking at this for my HD800s. Thanks to anyone who answers.

Just my 2 cents.

I have mentioned since Day 1 that N8 is not meant for high impedance full-size headphones because the voltage swing required to work with 300ohm or 600ohm high impedance cans are too demanding for the 3.7V battery in the DAP. Yes, we can increase the operation voltage in the circuit but there is a limit on what we can do, and the quality of power supply after voltage adjustment that we need to consider.

When I explained the High Impedance High Output Mode feature, I said "4.4mm Balanced output is a lot better, I have to skip the full scale orchestra or very demanding tracks (e.g, Money for nothing from Brothers in Arms) as control is still on marginal side, but I can start to enjoy some less sophisticated tracks such as my favorite Woongsan (MQS at 24bit/176.4kHz), violin or Erhu solo, gospel and pop albums." So you might find the N8+HD800 combo enjoyable with simple, single-instrument music that involve less macro dynamic passages, but once you play a more demanding track, you'll notice the shortcomings. An AC powered desktop amplifier has significant advantage over battery powered DAP on this regards. To illustrate the point, I think adding a Cayin iHA-6 ($699) or HA-1Amk2 ($799) into the chain by using N8 as line out source will offer a noticeable upgrade if you plan to use HD800 as your main headphone.

Oct 24, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #3,532 of 3,873
Thank you for your suggestion, we don't have any non-Android DAP project in our plan, but we can consider your suggestion on N3Pro refinement.

Our software resource is nowhere near Calyx-M development. From what I read in the early discussion (before Calyx-M roll out), Calyx-M had the privilege to deploy supply-chain and software resources from Samsung, that's why they can get CPU and screen that were not available to other DAP brands at that time, and the OS/UI was a heavily skinned Android, so some of the their UI were very unique and innovative at that time.
Thanks for the insight.
Maybe you can implement it in the N10 in a few years (if you already have a list what it should do) :wink:

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #3,533 of 3,873
Hi folks,

We have a quick firmware update for N8.

N8 Firmware v3.2

1. Enhanced USB Audio Support to cover PCM705.6kHz and 768kHz in PCM;
2. Fixed bug of unable to scan DSD files;
3. Other Bug fix and optimization.

Please visit our official webpage for more information and the update procedures.

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #3,534 of 3,873
Best sounding dap.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #3,535 of 3,873
Sorry, I do not know where to post this.
Hi,Today i tried the Cayin CS 55A tube amp with integrated usb dac.
Unfortunately there is no sound when I am playing music from the Shanling M2x dap.
Here is the info from Shanling: "Firstly, M2X is not running Android, so that advice can't be used.

For M2X, can you please tell me what cable / adapter are you using?
Did you tested M2X with any other USB DAC before?

Sometimes USB DACs might demand some advanced drivers or are designed only for use with a computer and are trying to drain too much power from M2X. Would need to know how exactly it's implemented on your Cayin to be sure.
"
Meanwhile I am using the RME ADI 2 pro dac which is connected to the Cayin tube amp. But it would be nice if I could play music from the Shanling m2x directly to the Cayin tube amp.

Oct 30, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #3,536 of 3,873
Sorry, I do not know where to post this.
Hi,Today i tried the Cayin CS 55A tube amp with integrated usb dac.
Unfortunately there is no sound when I am playing music from the Shanling M2x dap.
Here is the info from Shanling: "Firstly, M2X is not running Android, so that advice can't be used.

For M2X, can you please tell me what cable / adapter are you using?
Did you tested M2X with any other USB DAC before?

Sometimes USB DACs might demand some advanced drivers or are designed only for use with a computer and are trying to drain too much power from M2X. Would need to know how exactly it's implemented on your Cayin to be sure.
"
Meanwhile I am using the RME ADI 2 pro dac which is connected to the Cayin tube amp. But it would be nice if I could play music from the Shanling m2x directly to the Cayin tube amp.

Alex, I know nothing bout USB DAC implementation of CS-55A, I suggest you contact infor@cayin.cn by email, they will provide necessarily support on our vacuum tube speaker amplifier, including the CS-55A.

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #3,537 of 3,873
Hi folks,

We have a quick firmware update for N8.

N8 Firmware v3.2

1. Enhanced USB Audio Support to cover PCM705.6kHz and 768kHz in PCM;
2. Fixed bug of unable to scan DSD files;
3. Other Bug fix and optimization.

Please visit our official webpage for more information and the update procedures.

I am experiencing some bugs, especially when using the search: Some keyboard buttons (the ones on the left side of the screen) simply dont work.
Also, are you planning to release further firmware updates for N8?

Thanks

Jan 25, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #3,538 of 3,873
the only complain i have is the ui, not user friendly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back