Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Nov 19, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #2,777 of 3,873
Why i prefer is due to my understanding (which may be wrong?) is that it does not compress it in any meaningful way more than a FLAC or more so than a wave file, but allows for a smaller file size

Interesting if only the Cayin N8 supported wavpak! Which as AndyKong reminds us it doesn't. I guess I prefer to keep things as simple as possible and there's no advantage in compressing lossless music when micro SD cards are fairly cheap. Thanks for the explanation, I found it intriguing.

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #2,778 of 3,873
2.) The N6ii comes without those cables, only with a USB-A to USB-C one

I haven't heard the N6 (I have a N8 BB, upgraded hugely from a Questyle QP2R) but I believe the N6 & N8 are not comparable. Re getting cables made up, I've recently taken delivery of a OIDIO Mongrel Series cable for my Focal Utopia & N8 set-up and I'm very impressed with the sound, quality, spec and the very reasonable price. I thoroughly recommend OIDIO Cables having bought headphone cables from Moon Audio, Double Helix Cables, Atlas Cables & Kimber Cables.
Listening on Spotify Free to the brilliant new album from Half Moon Run 'A Blemish In The Great Light'. Saw them a few years back in London, I'm buying this one.

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #2,779 of 3,873
Maybe 2021

Ha ha, what do you know? The man who doesn't know the difference between a man-bag and a purse.................

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #2,780 of 3,873
Is the n8 due for an update?
What’s the typical life cycle for cayin totl dap.

We don't have any plan for another TOTL DAP in our product map. Period. Full stop. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 20, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #2,781 of 3,873
We don't have any plan for another TOTL DAP in our product map. Period. Full stop. :beerchug:
Not really sure how you could get a dap to sound any better to be honest. My favourite dap by far

Nov 20, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #2,782 of 3,873
Dear N8 owners, I am in the process of looking at TOTL DAPs and eventually buy one. I have three questions:

1.) The N8 accessory set of cables brings some quite rare ones. I'd like to know about their everyday usability.
  • The analog symmetric 4.4 mm to 2x XLR cable: What is the useful cable length, i.e. the length of the flexible part excluding all connectors and eventual bend protectors? Is this cable useful for connecting the N8 to a stand-alone headphone amp, or would one need some XLR-to-XLR extension cables in between?
  • The digital USB-C to 3.5 mm coaxial cable: Its useful length?/QUOTE]
N8 cable accessories.jpg
The 4.4mm to 2x XLR (M) is an adapter when you use N8 for balanced line out, You are supposed to plug the female end of a standard XLR cable to the adapter, and then plug the Male end of the XLR cable to the balanced input of an integrated amplifier or pre-amp.

The USB-C to 3.5mm is a coaxial digital cable, it is mean to use as-is. Typical scenario is connecting a Cayin DAP (N3, N5ii, ,N5iiS, N6ii, N8) to an portable DAC/Amp with 3.5mm coaxial input (e.g., Chord Mojo or Hugo2), you are suppose to stack them up during portable application, so a short cable is more suitable then a long cable.
This is a standard accessories that works for all Cayin DAP with USB-C and is available separately. For more information please check HERE.

For your information, we didn't have the Type C to RCA (F) coaxial adapter available separately but we have a Type C to RCA 1m coaxial cable in our standard accessories list. For more information please check HERE.

2.) The N6ii comes without those cables, only with a USB-A to USB-C one. @Andykong: Could I get a cable set similar to the N8 one or even just the N8 cable set itself separately from Cayin? Would it also be possible to get this from the German distributor?

3.) And my last question for now almost certainly is a NON-question, but I'll ask anyway: @Andykong, anything you could say regarding an N8 MkII in the not too distant future? And to all folks out there, any rumors?

Thanks for any contributions coming in.

Three out of four items are available from our standard accessories page (HERE), and the 4.4mm to 2x XLR (M) adapter is not applicable to other DAP except N8 and maybe N6ii, we don't see the need to sell the N8 cable set separately.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 20, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,783 of 3,873
Not really sure how you could get a dap to sound any better to be honest. My favourite dap by far
Mine too. Waiting for Cain DAP with R2R Ladder dac)))

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #2,784 of 3,873
I am experiencing a problem occasionally with my N8BB ever since upgraded to firmware v3.0. Sometimes after power up, my N8 did not think it has any internal memory. When trying to access the Local Storage folder, it pops a message saying no memory card was found (this is on the built-in memory, not the microSD card). But the microSD card would be working fine, I could access the TF Card folder no problem.

To fix the problem when it occurred, I normally need to power cycle the N8 once. Usually the next time it would come up with everything working again.

Has anyone seen the problem too? I don’t seem to remember seeing the problem before v3.0 so I am guessing it might be new firmware related. @Andykong have you seen anyone reported similar issues?

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #2,785 of 3,873
I am experiencing a problem occasionally with my N8BB ever since upgraded to firmware v3.0. Sometimes after power up, my N8 did not think it has any internal memory. When trying to access the Local Storage folder, it pops a message saying no memory card was found (this is on the built-in memory, not the microSD card). But the microSD card would be working fine, I could access the TF Card folder no problem.

To fix the problem when it occurred, I normally need to power cycle the N8 once. Usually the next time it would come up with everything working again.

Has anyone seen the problem too? I don’t seem to remember seeing the problem before v3.0 so I am guessing it might be new firmware related. @Andykong have you seen anyone reported similar issues?
Same problem here. But since first time I’ve copied all music to sd card.

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #2,786 of 3,873

same issue after installing the update upon its release. but it only happened once or twice on my end ever since the update's release. i've also had my n8 reboot on its own several times. some working flac and wav files have also stopped working - my n8 identified those specific files as unknown files for some reason.

Dec 8, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #2,788 of 3,873

i have had that issue and only FW 2.3 has never had it

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #2,789 of 3,873
Dec 9, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #2,790 of 3,873
Playing my dads old music on the N8. On 2018 stock FW. No issues.
20191209_162708.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back