Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Nov 14, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #2,761 of 3,873
i really prefer these,

Just asking, why do you prefer wavpack v wav? I use Media Player wav and my N8 BB works flawlessly with all the album art appearing. I read the attached article on wavpak but it didn't provide me with any clues! With Amazon UK selling Sandisk Ultra 400GB micro SD cards at £52 currently, do any of us need to compress our music anymore?

http://www.wavpack.com/

Nov 14, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #2,762 of 3,873
Cheers for a reply mate

Why i prefer is due to my understanding (which may be wrong?) is that it does not compress it in any meaningful way more than a FLAC or more so than a wave file, but allows for a smaller file size

Ie i have a.WV file that's approx 400 mb, when unpacked it is over 700 MB

It supports lossless, lossy and surround, and is not itself inherently lossy? As i believe MQA is?)

Does the WV method compress the audio in any more a damaging way?

In short,i prefer a smaller file size when all other things are equal, if i can get the same sound and save space,i prefer that.

i have compared on my speaker setup and headphone setup and find no loss in.WV, but I am unable to compare on N8,i assume results would be the same.

i am nowhere near an expert, and welcome anyone who is.

So does the N8 support >WV/pack? Is it just my FW 2.3 that does not?

If it does decrease the audio more than a full size wave/FLAC,i would dismiss it as fast as i did MQA after reading it was lossy(And i may be wrong there)

Cheers mate

Nov 15, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #2,763 of 3,873
@Andykong

Or anyone listening in

i thought the N8 could play (almost) any format, but it seems to have troubles with .WV.wav pack

i really prefer these,and the N8 can suss the cue and see all the songs,but won`t play them

Is it a done deal that N8 wont support these files?

i am on FW 2.3,and really prefer not to leave it,it is the most solid FW for me so far

Cheers

We have listed the music format supported by N8, with detail specification and limitation on our website and on the opening post of this thread. I believe Cayin is one of the few DAP companies that provide very detail and specify information on what can be done and what can't be done with our DAP.

Sorry, N8 didn't support WV.wav pack. We didn't included this format in our music format support list from the very beginning.

10212121.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 15, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #2,764 of 3,873
This is what happening with the album when playing
@Andykong may I ask your help why it is being like this

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #2,765 of 3,873
This is what happening with the album when playing
@Andykong may I ask your help why it is being like this

Thats nuts. I never seen that.

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #2,766 of 3,873
but not happening on every songs. when the screen was off and turned back on a little while, the album not flash. it just happened like this lately

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #2,767 of 3,873
but not happening on every songs. when the screen was off and turned back on a little while, the album not flash. it just happened like this lately
What if you remove the pic.

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #2,768 of 3,873
didn't try.i tried to re-scan the songs again yesterday, still the same.
but after doing turn off the screen and back on after a while, no more flashing.

i am using the Lexar 512GB

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #2,769 of 3,873
i guess i know what made it flashing. i saw my iphone with the volume bar appeared on the left side, it was the hiby (i guess) then the album flashing which it was not flashing at that moment.
i turned off the Bluetooth, the flashing instantly went away

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #2,770 of 3,873
i guess i know what made it flashing. i saw my iphone with the volume bar appeared on the left side, it was the hiby (i guess) then the album flashing which it was not flashing at that moment.
i turned off the Bluetooth, the flashing instantly went away
Wow , so weird , computers , one button pow heaven.

Nov 15, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #2,771 of 3,873
Dear N8 owners, I am in the process of looking at TOTL DAPs and eventually buy one. I have three questions:

1.) The N8 accessory set of cables brings some quite rare ones. I'd like to know about their everyday usability.
  • The analog symmetric 4.4 mm to 2x XLR cable: What is the useful cable length, i.e. the length of the flexible part excluding all connectors and eventual bend protectors? Is this cable useful for connecting the N8 to a stand-alone headphone amp, or would one need some XLR-to-XLR extension cables in between?
  • The digital USB-C to 3.5 mm coaxial cable: Its useful length?
2.) The N6ii comes without those cables, only with a USB-A to USB-C one. @Andykong: Could I get a cable set similar to the N8 one or even just the N8 cable set itself separately from Cayin? Would it also be possible to get this from the German distributor?

3.) And my last question for now almost certainly is a NON-question, but I'll ask anyway: @Andykong, anything you could say regarding an N8 MkII in the not too distant future? And to all folks out there, any rumors?

Thanks for any contributions coming in.

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #2,773 of 3,873
updated and using now, no noticeable sound difference

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #2,775 of 3,873

Users who are viewing this thread

Back