Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Oct 4, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #2,641 of 3,873
I never find this in reviews.

1. If selecting genre, does it go to artists and then albums and then songs?
2. If selecting artist, is it based on album artist or artist?
1. When selecting Genre it goes directly to Songs list.
2. Artist.

Oct 4, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #2,642 of 3,873
Surely someone can easily answer these questions.

1. Genre takes me to three options. Classical, Pop Rock, Unknown genre then to songs within the category

2. Artist takes me to Artists

I use Windows Media Player for downloaded CD's & SACD's at WAV quality and my digital downloads (HD Tracks, Qobuz etc) are stored in my Downloads folder. I drag all music to my micro SD card, album by album as this is the only way I'm able to get all the album covers onto the micro SD card. Perhaps a much cleverer person will tell me how to do things in a much better way but this works album cover wise. Using the Synch option in Media Player means I can drag lots of albums over in one go but no Album covers appear! Been there, tried that................

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #2,643 of 3,873
1. When selecting Genre it goes directly to Songs list.
2. Artist.

That is disappointing. It must be a Chinese thing, because that is what my Questyles do and I hate it. I only use them through folders, but part of wanting another DAP is for better sorting on the UI.

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #2,644 of 3,873
That is disappointing. It must be a Chinese thing, because that is what my Questyles do and I hate it. I only use them through folders, but part of wanting another DAP is for better sorting on the UI.
Not for the best sound ?

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #2,645 of 3,873
Not for the best sound ?

I want best sound, but also a UI that I want too. I have so many albums and put a lot into getting the tags right on them, but yet can't put that work into use on any of the Chinese DAPs of which I am aware. If I select genre, I don't want a list of 1,000 songs. I still might get it, but that was going to be my tie breaker. Sony still has the proprietary charging cable, A&K is still overpriced. It is really between the N8 and the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch at this point.

Does the N8 have folder play through? That is something desired that Questyle never did even after several requests by people. One thing I really like about Cayin is their Head-Fi presence. Questyle and Lotoo have zero presence. I have not checked through the Sony WM1A/1Z thread to comment on their presence.

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #2,646 of 3,873
I want best sound, but also a UI that I want too. I have so many albums and put a lot into getting the tags right on them, but yet can't put that work into use on any of the Chinese DAPs of which I am aware. If I select genre, I don't want a list of 1,000 songs. I still might get it, but that was going to be my tie breaker. Sony still has the proprietary charging cable, A&K is still overpriced. It is really between the N8 and the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch at this point.

Does the N8 have folder play through? That is something desired that Questyle never did even after several requests by people. One thing I really like about Cayin is their Head-Fi presence. Questyle and Lotoo have zero presence. I have not checked through the Sony WM1A/1Z thread to comment on their presence.
Yes, N8 plays through folders.

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #2,647 of 3,873

I go to folder or go to artist and have each folder from the artist or have all tracks from the artist. Plus I can put any sd card and pow see the files and go to any folder or any artist without scanning.

Oct 4, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #2,648 of 3,873
Yes, N8 plays through folders.

Now that is a WIN! No one will answer these questions on the Lotoo thread, so I will only buy the DAP that I am sure of the features. I know the N8 can also stream from a smartphone, which is good too, since I always have my smartphone with me. Much better getting app updates pushed to me on the phone than having to manually check on a DAP. I also l like that the N8, WM1A, LPGT do not use android. That is what made the Questyle's appealing when I bought them.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #2,649 of 3,873
I had the
Now that is a WIN! No one will answer these questions on the Lotoo thread, so I will only buy the DAP that I am sure of the features. I know the N8 can also stream from a smartphone, which is good too, since I always have my smartphone with me. Much better getting app updates pushed to me on the phone than having to manually check on a DAP. I also l like that the N8, WM1A, LPGT do not use android. That is what made the Questyle's appealing when I bought them.
If you go with the Sony then best stick with iems and use balance cause of the weak amp. Also the 1Z is very warm , way warmer than the Lotoo and Questyle.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #2,650 of 3,873
I had the

If you go with the Sony then best stick with iems and use balance cause of the weak amp. Also the 1Z is very warm , way warmer than the Lotoo and Questyle.

Sony is on the bottom of my list just above the SP2000. The LPGT and N8 are at the top of my list in no particular order.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #2,651 of 3,873
Sony is on the bottom of my list just above the SP2000. The LPGT and N8 are at the top of my list in no particular order.
Ask gazzington , he has the N8 and the Touch . I had both but not now. I only have the N8.

Oct 4, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #2,652 of 3,873
Surely someone can easily answer these questions.

If you select genre, goes directly to songs in alphabetical order...
If you select Artist goes directly to albums and then songs by album...
HibyMusic is the same but by each option goes to songs directly...

9A03E966-33BA-49D6-AC77-CE3A0070B87A.jpeg
9F76A378-D20A-4E71-BD0A-87C81580516E.jpeg
DCBFCE3F-6BCB-44FA-AA09-3D8F2B333E83.jpeg
A57B2236-A29B-4361-9D61-5EFCCDA0FB4C.jpeg
A3F87936-B438-466C-8B13-60E5F36F5415.jpeg

It’s no the best UI, and the screen is less responsive than your phone by example (annoying some times)...but the sound is unique and beautiful

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #2,653 of 3,873
If you select genre, goes directly to songs in alphabetical order...
If you select Artist goes directly to albums and then songs by album...
HibyMusic is the same but by each option goes to songs directly...

It’s no the best UI, and the screen is less responsive than your phone by example (annoying some times)...but the sound is unique and beautiful

Thank you so much for taking the time to take the pictures! I like that the songs look like they are listed with the song's tagged title name instead of file name, which is better than the LPGT.

Oct 4, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #2,654 of 3,873
There you go, M8, another good reason to buy a N8, we're more loving on this thread than those beastlies on LPGT :)

Oct 4, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #2,655 of 3,873
There you go, M8, another good reason to buy a N8, we're more loving on this thread than those beastlies on LPGT :)

I agree and the manufacturer, Cayin, also participates, which is awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back