Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Nov 18, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #1,216 of 3,873
Thanks for sharing, however as I am unfamiliar with the purist rom, could you let us know what differences there are between this and the original rom? Would I still be able to use the HibyMusic app on my mobile to control the device?

Fidelizer Purist ROM is a stock ROM with Fidelizer optimizations to improve system/audio performance. There's no significant difference in usability and features. It's safe and reversible like flashing ROM with modified theme.

You can also check how Fidelizer Purist ROM works on previous Cayin i5 DAP from this thread too. :)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...porting-32-384-pcm-64-128-dsd.802382/page-244

Regards,
Keetakawee

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #1,217 of 3,873
I don't fully understand this outcry. If you don't like a product because of its pricing, just don't support it as simple as that.
I know I cannot buy this device in near future yet I follow this thread regularly and in a way I too feel disappointed that why it had to be priced that high.

I think it's not fair to flood this thread with our dissatisfaction.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #1,218 of 3,873
Fidelizer Purist ROM is a stock ROM with Fidelizer optimizations to improve system/audio performance. There's no significant difference in usability and features. It's safe and reversible like flashing ROM with modified theme.
Keetakawee

Thanks for sharing but with a risk of flashing foreign ROM, what is the real benefit? You said improve "system/audio performance" but what is this mean? Some detail??

I don't fully understand this outcry. If you don't like a product because of its pricing, just don't support it as simple as that.
I know I cannot buy this device in near future yet I follow this thread regularly and feel disappointed that why it has to be priced that high.

This device is noticeably superior in sound compared to SP1000 and sells for $200 less, so not sure what's the issue here as well, that is not to say SP10000 is not overpriced. :)

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,219 of 3,873
Thanks for sharing but with a risk of flashing foreign ROM, what is the real benefit? You said improve "system/audio performance" but what is this mean? Some detail??

It's modified factory ROM in the same format so you can flash by following the instructions from here as official ROM. The real benefits of Purist ROM is additional system optimizations I added in to official ROM You can think of it as cooked Android ROM for one device to boost performance.

http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13560

Or you can follow my own instructions here too.

1. Connect Cayin N8 to computer with Mass storage USB connection
2. Extract n8.upt from archive and copy to root directory of TF card slot (micro SD storage)
3. Open top menubar and select System Setup > System upgrade > update via micro SD card, and hit OK to proceed
4. Wait for device to finish flashing
5. After flashing is completed, you should see Fidelizer Purist ROM during shutdown animation

As you can see from Cayin i5's thread, it improves battery life, system performance and you can flash official ROM back at any time with the same manner. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Nov 18, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,220 of 3,873
Guys my thoughts: Maybe the high price is the big issue here? In the real World where we have to justify why we buy something so expensive and to buy something that could be outdated in a few months by something better and at a better price?

I think that a lot of people are **** off because of the **** price as we were hoping for a more realistic price and not the typical high end A&K total BS price which Cayin seem to be aiming for here and competing with in this scenario, as opposed to the good value for money image that Cayin has set so far in our minds?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #1,221 of 3,873
My friend bought Cayin N8 and he missed ROM optimizations on his previous i5 I modded for him so he lent me his N8 yesterday for cooking Purist ROM here. :)

http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/cayin-n8-purist-rom-version-1-1-released/

Coulda ya.....

Vacuum your floor or clean up?
Wipe the device ?

$3,500.00 device and it looks like a ghetto toy in your low res, finger smudged, un cleaned room.....c'mon.

What exactly is the part that enhances the performance of audio. What did the folks at Cayin not quite do as good as you
Be specific.

Nov 18, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #1,222 of 3,873
Coulda ya.....

Vacuum your floor or clean up?
Wipe the device ?

$3,500.00 device and it looks like a ghetto toy in your low res, finger smudged, un cleaned room.....c'mon.

What exactly is the part that enhances the performance of audio. What did the folks at Cayin not quite do as good as you
Be specific.

If you have N8, you can try Purist ROM and see for yourself. Or you can google about Android ROM cooking and learn more yourself. I just mod the ROM upon friend's request and I thought it'd be good to share here as I shared i5 ones.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Nov 18, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #1,223 of 3,873
Guys my thoughts: Maybe the high price is the big issue here? In the real World where we have to justify why we buy something so expensive and to buy something that could be outdated in a few months by something better and at a better price?

I think that a lot of people are **** off because of the **** price as we were hoping for a more realistic price and not the typical high end A&K total BS price which Cayin seem to be aiming for here and competing with in this scenario, as opposed to the good value for money image that Cayin has set so far in our minds?
Ok but isn’t that a bit unfair on Cayin to box them in on what segments of the market they should be able to target? From what I can tell, they have explicitly said from the start “we are going to put our energy and research into a player which incorporates technology (ie tubes) previously unseen in a portable player, without feeling constrained in fitting it into a pre existing price point”.

If there is a “mistake” Cayin has made here it might be in not concurrently releasing an updated N6 at a DX200 price point. This would better make the point that Cayin has not forgotten how to offer “perceived value” at a more mid price point. But Cayin is not Sony and cant be expected to roll out a mass of new models at once.

I’m curious if similar complaints about the pricing point appear on forums for 1Z and SPK? If so then TOTL pricing is clearly an issue with some people. If not then I would question why only in regard to Cayin?

While I won’t be shelling out for the N8, I am guessing a great part of the DNA will find its way into a N6II at some point, and at a $600 price point that would be interesting to me.

I value @twister6 contributions here, he has helped advise me privately on many occasions. I’m sure I’m not alone in that. He is no fanboy of any brand, just a fellow enthusiast. I can also vouch for his ethics, not that he needs that.

I value @Andykong - whenever he posts here he is completely candid and I think it’s brilliant that he consistently makes himself available to help educate about Cayin’s thought and design process. I have seen him reply “my product is not suitable for you” way more often than “you should buy my product”...to some that might appear arrogant but I don’t read him that way at all.

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #1,224 of 3,873
If you have N8, you can try Purist ROM and see for yourself. Or you can google about Android ROM cooking and learn more yourself. I just mod the ROM upon friend's request and I thought it'd be good to share here as I shared i5 ones.

Regards,
Keetakawee

I do have the N8 . I want you to tell me and everyone considering buying this exactly what you did that Cayin did not, and how that relates to sound quality which you think is better than Cayin engineers and this $3,500 device.

Nov 19, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #1,225 of 3,873
I do have the N8 . I want you to tell me and everyone considering buying this exactly what you did that Cayin did not, and how that relates to sound quality which you think is better than Cayin engineers and this $3,500 device.

That I can't say here as MoT. You can try free version and use your own ears to judge whether there's any audible changes. ROM is easy to flash and can flash stock ROM back safely at any time.

If you decide not to try until you know what changes are, it's up to you. I don't want to risk breaking MoT rules here for sharing free stuff that can help improving performance. Please ask me privately in E-Mail for details if you really want to know.

You may think $3500 is very expensive and probably the best market can offer but I also built a few servers costing more than $3500 for highend systems so I know what I can help based on my knowledge building highend servers.

fidelizer_next_year_server_1.jpg

fidelizer_next_year_server_3.jpg

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #1,226 of 3,873
Just a short note because I am working on v2.0 firmware preparatpre right now, hopefully the new N8 firmware will be available soon (withon this week), this is a major update with duplex LDAC up to 96kHz and quite a lot of enhancement items, so please stay tune for our latest revision to N8.

Cayin will not comment on components level questions. We have come across this previously, we won't explain why we select this component or why we don't adopt another component, or hypothetical question such as whether we adopt a component in order to cut cost. We treat N8 as a product we designed and manufacturered in a single unity, not a sum of components. For those who has been around in this thread long enough will notice our practices.

Likewise, we don't comment on Bill of Material (BOM) questions. We believe the value of N8 is much more than a components list. The balanced phone out has gone through FOUR stags of amplification, the singled end output has FIVE stages. The architecture and refinement of audio circuit takes years to develop. It is much more than just installing a Nutube into the circuit. Feel free to challenge our claim and suggest another DAP that offers similar complexity and achivement in portable audio circuit design.

For those who insist to examine our product from materialism perspective, we hope they'll play a fair and square game by including other TOTL DAPs at comparable price into the your assessment: SPK, SPKm, WM1z, LPGT, R2R2000, and the L&P LP6/LP6ti came to my mind immediately. Or do you want to include the TOTL IEMs and CIEMs into your game?

For the record, Cayin always publish detail schematic duagram to fscilitate in depth communication in Personal Audio community. We want our customers to know as much as possible before they commit. We don't hide, we are as transparent as we can, or even go beyond the normal practice. We even receive concerns from friendly dealers and reviewers about this. If this is why we are targeted, then maybe we should revise our mentality and only talk business with our consumers or potential customers.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 20, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #1,228 of 3,873
I know I cannot buy this device in near future yet I follow this thread regularly and in a way I too feel disappointed that why it had to be priced that high.

This is one of the few places people can make their voices heard. With any luck Cayin will take some of the negative comments about the price and bring some of the features into a cheaper model in the future. One that is more in line with what most people can afford. If all you do is gush over this $3000.00 bling thing then it might give the impression we are all okey with. I appreciate high quality sound but there is no reason it has to cost this much to get it. Hopefully Cayin can strap on their R&D caps and make a great sounding much less expensive DAP for those of us without unlimited financial resources.

That is the kind of manufacturer I want to buy from now and in the future. Anyone can make a insanely expensive DAP but the great companies make great sounding DAP's regular people can afford. I am looking forward for example to comparing the N8 to the Shanling M5S to see how much more you really get for 6 x the price and half the battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back