Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Jun 15, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #556 of 3,873
I have to say your pricing of the CS-100DAC is incredibly competitive. Well you guys considering adding an amp to that unit for an all in one unit? Will you guys consider releasing an amp only HA-300 possibly cutting the cost?

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #558 of 3,873
So this is what we are doing right now. When R&D finalized their circuit design, supply chain will place order for the components and engineers will start to transfer the design to production, the process will take 2 months but the N8 is so complicated and involve a lot of new design and implementation, we expect the process will take a little bit longer then our average practice. We need to go through the finest details and optimize the design before we mass production.

Take the Nutube installation as example, we have to minimize the microphonics effect which is a common issue in tube amplification, It doesn't necessarily be an expensive procedure, but the implication to sound performance is noticeable. As you can see in these photos, Cayin didn't solved the problem by using expensive components, we rely on our know how and experience. The solutions probably looks boring or even disgusting to some, but it works effectively.

Another important optimization is to clean up the circuit layout, get rids of the ground loops and isolate the circuit into layers properly. We have issued a new PCB layout earlier this week, and hopefully the revised N8 engineering samples will just in time for the Toyko Portable Audio Festival (14-15 July 2018) and CanJam London (21-22 July 2018), so if you will attend one of these shows, please drop by Cayin booth and check out our N8 DAP. :beerchug::beerchug:

We have received the revised PCB on 11th, and the 90% stuffed board is ready for test today. If you look at the photo carefully, you'll notice the day code is 20180605, and the Nutube photo that I showed here l(#539) is dated 20180426. So things are move on very quickly and we should be able to demo this revision at Toyko and London. If everything goes well, this will be our final revision and we can proceed to production version after this.

N8 PCB revision 11 June 2018.jpg
N8 PCB filled 15 June 2018 b.jpg
N8 PCB filled 15 June 2018.jpg

There is a blank area in the last photo, that is where we'll install the Nutube. The previous NuTube photo has illustrated the trick we are experimenting to reduce microphonic of Nutube. Turn out that trick is very useful when we test it at our laboratory, but when we pick up N8 to walk around in our factory, we know we need to reinforce our shock absorption design to make sure the Nutube will perform satisfactory even when someone holding or even shaking the N8 while listening.

And the final design will look like this:

Nutube installation 01.jpg

Nutube installation 02.jpg
Nutube installation 03.jpg

we literally developed a suspension system for the Nutube installation. Let's see if we can build this promptly and test it at the July event. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 15, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #559 of 3,873
I have to say your pricing of the CS-100DAC is incredibly competitive. Well you guys considering adding an amp to that unit for an all in one unit? Will you guys consider releasing an amp only HA-300 possibly cutting the cost?

We don't have any plan to develop an all-in-one unit based on CS-100DAC. There are many reasons behind this decision but the most obvious one is space availability. Take a look at the internal layout of latest CS-100DAC Engineering Sample:

CS-100DAC.jpg

As you can see the CS-100DAC is fully packed already, if we want to add a decent (and comparable quality) amplifier into the chassis, it will most likely end up into something that is too big to be practical.

An amp only HA-300? Do you mean speaker amplifier version of HA-300? or Headphone amplifier without the speaker output?

Last edited:

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #560 of 3,873
Will this be sale in Canada ?

If so , how soon after release ?

I mail ordered my N 6 from a store in Toronto when it came out

I have since forgot the name of the store tho

Thanks

I can't be sure, but we are working with a new dealer after the launch of N3 and he is very enthusiastic about Cayin products. He spend more than an hour in our demo room at CanJam New York 2018, testing every product and helping out when he could, so I think we are in a much better situation then 2014/15 and N8 will be available in Canada shortly after the official release.

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #561 of 3,873
As

We have received the revised PCB on 11th, and the 90% stuffed board is ready for test today. If you look at the photo carefully, you'll notice the day code is 20180605, and the Nutube photo that I showed here l(#539) is dated 20180426. So things are move on very quickly and we should be able to demo this revision at Toyko and London. If everything goes well, this will be our final revision and we can proceed to production version after this.

There is a blank area in the last photo, that is where we'll install the Nutube. The previous NuTube photo has illustrated the trick we are experimenting to reduce microphonic of Nutube. Turn out that trick is very useful when we test it at our laboratory, but when we pick up N8 to walk around in our factory, we know we need to reinforce our shock absorption design to make sure the Nutube will perform satisfactory even when someone holding or even shaking the N8 while listening.

And the final design will look like this:

we literally developed a suspension system for the Nutube installation. Let's see if we can build this promptly and test it at the July event. :beerchug:

Andy, you are not worried that competition is reading and taking notes? :wink:

Jun 15, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #562 of 3,873

Jun 15, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #563 of 3,873
I can't be sure, but we are working with a new dealer after the launch of N3 and he is very enthusiastic about Cayin products. He spend more than an hour in our demo room at CanJam New York 2018, testing every product and helping out when he could, so I think we are in a much better situation then 2014/15 and N8 will be available in Canada shortly after the official release.
Thanks mate

I found at least 3 in Canada carrying the N6

Man what a great price right now on N6 for anyone in Canada wanting an N6 Go for it

MIne will also be for sale when i purchase N8 , not sure of price yet tho

Thanks mate

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 15, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #565 of 3,873
We don't have any plan to develop an all-in-one unit based on CS-100DAC. There are many reasons behind this decision but the most obvious one is space availability. Take a look at the internal layout of latest CS-100DAC Engineering Sample:

As you can see the CS-100DAC is fully packed already, if we want to add a decent (and comparable quality) amplifier into the chassis, it will most likely end up into something that is too big to be practical.

An amp only HA-300? Do you mean speaker amplifier version of HA-300? or Headphone amplifier without the speaker output?
Yes a headphone amplifier without the speaker out circuit.

Jun 16, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #566 of 3,873
@Andykong : Is it possible to see the new 4.4 mm portable Nutube Amplifier from Cayin in the future?

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #567 of 3,873
Thanks mate

I found at least 3 in Canada carrying the N6

Man what a great price right now on N6 for anyone in Canada wanting an N6 Go for it

MIne will also be for sale when i purchase N8 , not sure of price yet tho

Thanks mate

There should be more then three shops carrying Cayin DAPs in Canada but not all of them are carrying N6.

You can check out our "Where to Buy" page for full list of Cayin dealers in Canada.
http://en.cayin.cn/netword/show?c=129&ctype=2&smallid=187&id=13487

The N6 might be outdated in terms of features, but definitely worth every penny at US$620 (SRP) if you are looking for audio performance as top priority. This is the only DAP with dual PCM1792 DAC, I believe Cayin is the only brand adopted this audio architecture so far.

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #568 of 3,873
Yes a headphone amplifier without the speaker out circuit.

Well, the trick is, we didn't add a lot of components into HA-300 to enable speaker output. The tube amplification and power supply will remain unchanged, the only different will be adding an extra layer of output from the output transformer, one additional option in output selector, and an extra set of speaker terminal. We can hardly describe this as speaker out circuit.

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #569 of 3,873
@Andykong : Is it possible to see the new 4.4 mm portable Nutube Amplifier from Cayin in the future?

We don't have any product that involve TWO Nutube in our product roadmap so far, sorry.

Last edited:

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #570 of 3,873
There should be more then three shops carrying Cayin DAPs in Canada but not all of them are carrying N6.

You can check out our "Where to Buy" page for full list of Cayin dealers in Canada.
http://en.cayin.cn/netword/show?c=129&ctype=2&smallid=187&id=13487

The N6 might be outdated in terms of features, but definitely worth every penny at US$620 (SRP) if you are looking for audio performance as top priority. This is the only DAP with dual PCM1792 DAC, I believe Cayin is the only brand adopted this audio architecture so far.

Thanks mate

yes im very pleased with my N6

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back