Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Feb 15, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #3,196 of 3,873
Just realized that there is also a big problem with the quality of the sound when you play files from the 1tb card comparatively with the internal memory ;=((
I use a Samsung 512gb card and I have not noticed a difference vs the internal storage. I will have to double check. Has anyone else heard a difference? Tks.

Feb 15, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #3,197 of 3,873
I will try with my 400gb to see if there is a difference with the local memory. I tried the 1tb on Otg this afternoon and it seems to work well. At least the sound was much better than with the internal reader. I have to make more tests with the same music played from the internal memory and on a sd card to see if there is any difference

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #3,198 of 3,873
hi everyone, can I ask what is the difference between the regular N8 and the black brass N8

Kindly if anyone knows share with me the differences before making an order for N8

There's no issues with streaming, just means you need to have your phone or other streaming transport with bt along side your N8.

Theres 1st hand subjective opinions of BB vs SS earlier on in this thread.

Andy kong made a good technical post about the BB when it came out.

I have explained the different between N8 and N8BB HERE and HERE

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #3,199 of 3,873
No but I will try, I know I have the same kinds of problem with a tablet and a micro SD a few years ago. It is likely a problem of compatibility which could be eventually solved with the right formatting or the next firmware. I will ask Cayin if they made some tests with the 1to SanDisk and the N8. Thanks for your help

We only tested 512GB microSD with N8, we haven't tested the new 1TB Sandisk yet.

Feb 18, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #3,201 of 3,873
I am testing Cayin N8's firmware 3.0. The display of sampling rate is correct. I tried some ripped MQA-CD data.
And i don't know why '16 Bit' is displayed. It should be '24 Bit'. But maybe the Tag Restorer I used was old version.
It is not big problem. PCM digital filter is fixed and not changeable when playing MQA. I think this is right way.
The sound, at least better than A&ultima SP1000's MQA playback sound. So wide soundstage. I like it.
The MQA sound from SSDOTG is very very good.

DSC02649.jpg DSC02650.jpg

DSC02655.jpg

DSC02649.jpg
Hi fellow i4 owner :) Can you provide your EQ settings for the i4 please?

Feb 18, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #3,202 of 3,873
IMG_0954.JPG

Listening with IER M9, absolutely fantastic combo. Took a bath in tubey goodness yesterday afternoon with the MDR Z1R's, just perfection. Nearly a year with the Cayin N8 BB and this DAP still surprises and delights me whenever I use it. Hats off Cayin :)

Feb 19, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #3,203 of 3,873
After a few days and a new formatting, I do confirm it really doesn't work. Bad sound and the reader loose the access to the card all the times

Thanks for spending time to test out the problem, I'll note this issue and review the problem when we have the opportunity.

Can you show me a picture of your 400GB and 1TB TF card, I'll keep this for reference purpose.

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #3,204 of 3,873
Hi,
Here the picture of the 2 micro sd cards I tried. The 400gb works well. The 1tb, which is 2 weeks old, doesn't. I tried a full reformatting in case but I get the same result. Nevertheless the 1tb does work well in Otg.SdCard.jpg

Nice if you could make it work with the next firmware update ;=)

Listening with IER M9, absolutely fantastic combo. Took a bath in tubey goodness yesterday afternoon with the MDR Z1R's, just perfection. Nearly a year with the Cayin N8 BB and this DAP still surprises and delights me whenever I use it. Hats off Cayin :)

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #3,205 of 3,873
Hi,
Here the picture of the 2 micro sd cards I tried. The 400gb works well. The 1tb, which is 2 weeks old, doesn't. I tried a full reformatting in case but I get the same result. Nevertheless the 1tb does work well in Otg.

So a 512 gig should also work well.

Feb 19, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #3,206 of 3,873
Hi,
Here the picture of the 2 micro sd cards I tried. The 400gb works well. The 1tb, which is 2 weeks old, doesn't. I tried a full reformatting in case but I get the same result. Nevertheless the 1tb does work well in Otg.SdCard.jpg

When I first got my N8 BB I had trouble with the San Disk cards once I went over 64gb. I tried 400 and 512. I then picked up a Samsung 512 gb card (another member recommended it) and it works fine. I suggest going to a Samsung card to see if that remedies your situation. Tks.

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #3,207 of 3,873
@Andykong I recently purchased N8BB. There is one FLAC file (352.8kHz) that does not play properly. Unbearable noise is added to the music. This once happened to my SP2000Cu, which was fixed after firmware update. AK asked me to send the music file to them in order to fix the problem.
I really want to listen to this music with N8BB. Please PM me if you want to test the file.

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #3,208 of 3,873
@Andykong I recently purchased N8BB. There is one FLAC file (352.8kHz) that does not play properly. Unbearable noise is added to the music. This once happened to my SP2000Cu, which was fixed after firmware update. AK asked me to send the music file to them in order to fix the problem.
I really want to listen to this music with N8BB. Please PM me if you want to test the file.
How does your N8 sounds compared to the AK ?

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #3,209 of 3,873
How does your N8 sounds compared to the AK ?
N8BB sounds fuller and more organic/musical to my ears. It strikes great balance between entertainment and technicality. I love it. But I will keep my AK SP2KCu for my critical listening (neutral and clinical sound signature).
I must say that the matching between DITA Dream XLS and N8BB is beyond my imagination/expectation.

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #3,210 of 3,873
N8BB sounds fuller and more organic/musical to my ears. It strikes great balance between entertainment and technicality. I love it. But I will keep my AK SP2KCu for my critical listening (neutral and clinical sound signature).
I must say that the matching between DITA Dream XLS and N8BB is beyond my imagination/expectation.
20190110_182937.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back