Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Jun 15, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #2,012 of 3,873
Jun 15, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #2,014 of 3,873
Well i was sent a new N8 from dealer

It`s on FW 2.0, maybe its all in my head, but my HD800s did not sound this epic on 2.3

i know FW is not supposed to influence the sound, so i 've heard

My questions are

1. i`m using balanced for my HD800s, and in the menu i discovered -LO-Balanced mode(Maybe that's why the cans sound so epic,i never used that b4).So much power

My concern is,i noticed in that mode there is no control over volume what so ever,it seems preset by that option(Man will you be surprised if you have the system set to continue from a song u left off on..BOOM!!)

Is this normal,is my N8 ok? Is there a way i can control volume from this setting?

Changing anything like gain as well has no effect while in this mode

2. Advice on a quick charger was given before, from Andy, but just on brands,i will take his advice and get an aukey

i do not want to damage my N8 or the battery so i ask you, can i get a quick charger with too much wattage?

i have found QC chargers from 18 watts to 60 watts, but i think the 60 watts may be divided between the 4 ports, where the 18 watt is a single port

i figure more watts = a faster charge? Am i correct?

Can i overdo the wattage on a QC and damage my N8 or battery?

Is the wattage the N8 limited to Ie 18 Watts, but does it have a safety that will only allow the Ie 18 watts, no matter how many watts my QC will be capable of?

Cheers

Someone has explained the line out concept already, so I won't repeat here. If you want to use N8 to drive your HD800s, I suggest you use 4.4mm connection, balanced driven, set Gain to high and Power to P+. The P+ will turn on the HIGH2 (High Impedance High output Mode) of N8 and this will deliver the maximum output power of N8, and is the best you can achieve for HD800s.

I use a 65W Quick charger because I need to charge multiple items in QC3.0 concurrently. It won't damage the N8 if the charge is implemented correctly. All QC3.0 charge should cap at 18W max., the higher rating power are there for multiple QC3.0 concurrently or a mixture of different charging protocol.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 15, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #2,015 of 3,873
True, Ill go by a few shops next week and demo the N8s with updated FW. Thanks for that question.

You can always roll back to previous version of N8, so you can try out new firmware anytime, and for whatever reason you want to roll back to previous OS, you can download that from Cayin website and flash your N8 with minutes.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 16, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #2,016 of 3,873
Someone has explained the line out concept already, so I won't repeat here. If you want to use N8 to drive your HD800s, I suggest you use 4.4mm connection, balanced driven, set Gain to high and Power to P+. The P+ will turn on the HIGH2 (High Impedance High output Mode) of N8 and this will deliver the maximum output power of N8, and is the best you can achieve for HD800s.

I use a 65W Quick charger because I need to charge multiple items in QC3.0 concurrently. It won't damage the N8 if the charge is implemented correctly. All QC3.0 charge should cap at 18W max., the higher rating power are there for multiple QC3.0 concurrently or a mixture of different charging protocol.
Cheers Andy mate for your reply

So from your reply it appears if all i need to charge is my N8,it would be somewhat a waste to spend money on a charger over 18 Watts?

18 watt aukey & ankers are nicely priced

Cheers

Jun 18, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #2,018 of 3,873
Had the N8 since late 2018 and it still loving the sound. Beautiful treble silking detailed silky mids and the depth of the bass. Since buying the N8 I bought like five totl daps and while each of them sounded great on this and that album not one can I say played every album perfectly. When one album sounded off I would play it on the N8 and the N8 would expose details, depths, width, heighs that were missing on the other daps. So on the other daps I deleted the albums that didnt sound their best but on the N8 almost all that were deleted from the other daps were kept on the N8. Why , because on the N8 they either sounded geat or better.

Jun 18, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #2,019 of 3,873
This is ridiculous how good ..Great my HD800s sound on balanced

Who knew the HD800 had this much bass

I'm listening to Depeche Mode SACD/DSD 64

i 've been going thru toons like Depeche Mode/Gary Numan etc for approx 4 hours now

Am i imagining the longer it runs, the hotter it gets the better it sounds?

The N8 is a wee bit shy off too hot to hold, in the hot sweaty days to come this may be too much to have anywhere on my body, it is a serious glove/pocket heater for winter strolls

Will all this heat over time be wear on the unit?

i have an RSA Darkstar, and if memory serves me correct, it may not have produced this much bass

They may be equal on everything else like power etc

Like my Darkstar,i can leave the room for the kitchen/bathroom and still clearly hear what song is playing, it would be way too loud to sit with someone in the same room trying to read or watch a movie

If it`s really this good i would consider flogging my Darkstar to buy the latest Empire ears Wraith,i have the LX being built now

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #2,020 of 3,873
This is ridiculous how good ..Great my HD800s sound on balanced

Who knew the HD800 had this much bass

I'm listening to Depeche Mode SACD/DSD 64

i 've been going thru toons like Depeche Mode/Gary Numan etc for approx 4 hours now

Am i imagining the longer it runs, the hotter it gets the better it sounds?

The N8 is a wee bit shy off too hot to hold, in the hot sweaty days to come this may be too much to have anywhere on my body, it is a serious glove/pocket heater for winter strolls

Will all this heat over time be wear on the unit?

i have an RSA Darkstar, and if memory serves me correct, it may not have produced this much bass

They may be equal on everything else like power etc

Like my Darkstar,i can leave the room for the kitchen/bathroom and still clearly hear what song is playing, it would be way too loud to sit with someone in the same room trying to read or watch a movie

If it`s really this good i would consider flogging my Darkstar to buy the latest Empire ears Wraith,i have the LX being built now

Well it may have been too hot?

Trying to adjust the volume caused the track to stutter/fail,then it rebooted to the never be the same again screen,then back to the folders-list-songs etc menu

Has anyone else had this happen?

Did it overheat?

Jun 18, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #2,021 of 3,873
Well it may have been too hot?

Trying to adjust the volume caused the track to stutter/fail,then it rebooted to the never be the same again screen,then back to the folders-list-songs etc menu

Has anyone else had this happen?

Did it overheat?
Man you sound like you have strong OCD, do you have that ? Im in Hong Kong so 37c and had it in my pocket for 1.5 hrs, hot, no issue.

Jun 19, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #2,023 of 3,873
"do you have that ? "

Yes i do

So the stuttering, rebooting and heat is normal,to be expected?
Ive noticed that Audiophiles tend to have ocd. I tend to have ocd towards the sound but not how the device looks, cases and inperfections. It should not reboot nor stutter. Heat yes thats normal.

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #2,024 of 3,873
Ive noticed that Audiophiles tend to have ocd. I tend to have ocd towards the sound but not how the device looks, cases and inperfections. It should not reboot nor stutter. Heat yes thats normal.

Thanks mate

i had treatable OCD as a child,i would imagine it`s still in me a bit

The sound is wonderful, Andy cautioned me on my expectations for my HD800, he was being modest

Tapping my toes waiting for my Legend X being built

So i will try to not let the heat worry me, but this is the 2nd unit in a row that froze and reboots and stuttered on volume adjustments

Speaking of OCD, are you the one who dropped and smashed his N8? Man i would be in tears

i actually had an OCD attack when i saw the pics LOL(I am joking)

Cheers

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #2,025 of 3,873
Thanks mate

i had treatable OCD as a child,i would imagine it`s still in me a bit

The sound is wonderful, Andy cautioned me on my expectations for my HD800, he was being modest

Tapping my toes waiting for my Legend X being built

So i will try to not let the heat worry me, but this is the 2nd unit in a row that froze and reboots and stuttered on volume adjustments

Speaking of OCD, are you the one who dropped and smashed his N8? Man i would be in tears

i actually had an OCD attack when i saw the pics LOL(I am joking)

Cheers
Yep, and working as new. I wished yours works better. Have you tried 3.5 and the tube amp ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back