Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Oct 11, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #991 of 3,873
Cayin don't accept warranty and repair request from customer direct. For the record, we only offered limited international warranty to our products. If you buy from Hong Kong, your warranty stay with Hong Kong dealer. Anything happened, you have to send the DAP back to your seller in HK for warranty service. Please find out if the HK seller will charge you in logistic when they send the DAP back to you after repair before you commit. In our experience, its easier to arrive at a "decent" agreement BEFORE you pay for the product rather then leave it till you needed the service desperately.

Be reminded that China is a heavy tax country, all incoming electronic products are subject up to 20% import tax. If the product were send back through our official dealers, we can easily waived the tax as everything is well documented in advanced (our shipment record with serial number). Receiving repair items from overseas are not so straightforward, we had experience when we need to pay the tax even when the product carry our own name. Hong Kong is very closed to China, they can hand carry the DAP over the border and then send it back to us through domestic mail, there is a reason why their price is lower than other international dealers.

I know the shop manager of HK Jaben in person, we are good friends and we happen to live right next to other on the same real estate. I recommend HK Jaben to HK customers sincerely, but I have to warn you or everyone in advance when the transaction goes outside Hong Kong. I rather be unpleasant upfront then dealing with a unhappy customers when accidents happened.

Thanks Andy

That kind reply leaves me with a few questions/ concerns

". Please find out if the HK seller will charge you in logistic when they send the DAP back to you"

Im not sure what that or logistic charge means . Please explain .Does that mean who pays for shipping to be repaired ?

If Jaben HK says they will , is their word trust worthy ? I assume yes as he is your friend So im not trying to be rude

Who pays for repair shipping , both ways , if i bought from a dealer here ?

Correct me if i am wrong and tell me if i am correct about the below questions as well

N8 comes with a 1 year (Parts & labour?) warranty ?

If it needs repair in that time how would its repair and return differ if i bought here from a canadian dealer here , or from Jaben in HK ?

I assume if i bought N8 here , i will have to send it to my dealer who ships to you for repair ?

If i bought from Jaben , i would ship to Jaben , and they would bring to you for repair ?

Does Jaben cover the 1 year warranty if i buy from them ? is there even a warranty if i buy from Jaben HK ? Is it still under warranty from Cayin , except Jaben would have to bring it to you ?

" that China is a heavy tax country, all incoming electronic products are subject up to 20% import tax"

Do you mean that there are there also taxes that either myself or jaben or Cayin face for returning a N8 for repair ?

"unhappy customers when accidents happened"

That comment concerned me the most

Does that mean if Jaben lost the product or if lost in shipping that i would be out a N8?

Can i ask the shipping weight and dimensions of the N8 boxed please so i can also consider that before hand by asking shippers here what it costs to ship it

I have to wonder , and its not your fault , why Canadians are paying the extra tarriff costs from the USA trade war

Canada has very friendly trade and relations with China

Why cant we buy direct and or in some way avoid the USA problems ?

My apologies for so many more questions

Maybe i dont understand your reply because i ve had a long hard day and should be asleep by now

Thank you Andy

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #992 of 3,873
Thanks Andy

That kind reply leaves me with a few questions/ concerns

". Please find out if the HK seller will charge you in logistic when they send the DAP back to you"

Im not sure what that or logistic charge means . Please explain .Does that mean who pays for shipping to be repaired ?

If Jaben HK says they will , is their word trust worthy ? I assume yes as he is your friend So im not trying to be rude

Who pays for repair shipping , both ways , if i bought from a dealer here ?

Correct me if i am wrong and tell me if i am correct about the below questions as well

N8 comes with a 1 year (Parts & labour?) warranty ?

If it needs repair in that time how would its repair and return differ if i bought here from a canadian dealer here , or from Jaben in HK ?

I assume if i bought N8 here , i will have to send it to my dealer who ships to you for repair ?

If i bought from Jaben , i would ship to Jaben , and they would bring to you for repair ?

Does Jaben cover the 1 year warranty if i buy from them ? is there even a warranty if i buy from Jaben HK ? Is it still under warranty from Cayin , except Jaben would have to bring it to you ?

" that China is a heavy tax country, all incoming electronic products are subject up to 20% import tax"

Do you mean that there are there also taxes that either myself or jaben or Cayin face for returning a N8 for repair ?

"unhappy customers when accidents happened"

That comment concerned me the most

Does that mean if Jaben lost the product or if lost in shipping that i would be out a N8?

Can i ask the shipping weight and dimensions of the N8 boxed please so i can also consider that before hand by asking shippers here what it costs to ship it

I have to wonder , and its not your fault , why Canadians are paying the extra tarriff costs from the USA trade war

Canada has very friendly trade and relations with China

Why cant we buy direct and or in some way avoid the USA problems ?

My apologies for so many more questions

Maybe i dont understand your reply because i ve had a long hard day and should be asleep by now

Thank you Andy

N8 comes with a 1-year local warrants covering parts & labor If you live in Canada and buy your N8 from an authorized Canadian dealer, when you need repair during warranty period, all you need to do is to send your product to your Canadian dealer and they'll take care of everything from there on.

Please understand that while Jaben HK is an authorized reseller in Hong Kong, they are NOT AUTHORIZED to sell Cayin products outside Hong Kong. When you buy from them at Canada, you are buying a "grey market good" or parallel import. While this is perfectly legal, and we have done our best to warn you that we only
manufacturers often offer local warranty, instead of international warranty, which will render grey sets ineligible for warranty claims with the manufacturer.
cf Gray Market from Wiki

Gary market is perfectly legal,the products are not counterfeited. For example, the New York "Warranty Disclosure Act" only required all sellers of gray market good post conspicuous sign stating that the products being sold might not be covered by a manufacturer's warranty instead of stopping them from selling gray market goods. So as long as you are fully aware of the risk and consequence, this become a personal choice. However, gray market goods are NOT authorized by Cayin, I can't and won't get involved beyond remaining the risk that you should aware of, and therefore not going to answer the specific questions your raised as that will be inappropriate as a manufacturer or representative of brand owner.

If you have further doubt of warranty service from gray market, google is your honest friend.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 13, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #994 of 3,873
Oct 14, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #995 of 3,873
Oct 14, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #996 of 3,873
Oct 16, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #998 of 3,873
Announcement of Cayin N8 firmware v1.1

N8 Firmware Announcement v1.1 Header.jpg
http://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13560

New Functions and System Optimization
  1. Add new “Lock Screen” feature in System Setting and default to ON. When user click at the Volume knob to light up the display screen,
    • Enabled: users will be required to “Swipe up to unlock” before the player will resume operation.
    • Disable: player will resume operation directly
  2. Introduce new Volume Control screen with slider for quick control and buttons for fine adjustment
  3. Revise “Key Lock” feature in system setting. Users are offered three options (volume, play/pause, up and down) and they can lock or unlock each of these three options independently. The key lock setting will only be effective when the screen is off.
  4. Bug fix: power supply to analog circuit remains engaged occasionally when the player is power off with headphone plug in and during playback.
  5. Bug fix: activating inline remote control function occasionally when the headphone connector was shake or turned.
  6. Edit English interface to correct spelling and enhance readability
  7. Other Bug fix and optimizations
Firmware upgrades procedure

Cayin will release firmware upgrade to enhance and optimize N8 as deem required, the new firmware can be acquired through OTA or manual download, since the content of these firmware are identical, you can select whichever upgrade option that fit your needs.

Please make sure the device has sufficient battery power before you proceed. Please confirm the device has not less than 50% battery power; otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to firmware upgrade.

Option 1: Local Upgrade Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware upgrade package from Cayin website (www.cayin.cn). We have provided two download links, you can either download the package from our website or through our Google Drive.
  2. You should receive a compressed document N8 firmware XXXX.zip, decompress the zip file and extract the N8 firmware file (u8.upt)
  3. Copy N8 firmware file into the root directory of N8 internal memory or TF card, insert the TF card into N8 before you proceed to next step.
  4. Select System upgrade from System Setup menu, when prompted by the system, select “update via micro SD card”. You will be asked to confirm your selection, select OK to proceed.
  5. The system will start the firmware upgrade immediately, you can monitor the process through the Updater progress bar.
  6. The player will reboot into main menu when the firmware upgrade is completed. Please verify the firmware version number which is displayed under “About” option of pull down menu.
Option 2: OTA Upgrade Procedure
  1. Connect N8 to an Internet ready WiFi connection
  2. Make sure your N8 internal memory has at least 100MB available storage
  3. Select System upgrade from System Setup menu, when prompted by the system, select “OTA upgrade”. The player will detect if there is a new firmware available.
  4. If a new firmware is available, the player will display “Found new firmware XXX” at the top of the screen, select Download to proceed.
  5. At the end of the download process, the system will prompt you to confirm “Update firmware now?” Selecting “OK ” to proceed.
  6. The system will start the firmware upgrade immediately, you can monitor the process through the Updater progress bar.
  7. The player will reboot into main menu when the firmware upgrade is completed. Please verify the firmware version number which is displayed under “About” option of pull down menu.
Attention
  • N8 can support FAT/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS formatted TF card during the firmware upgrade process.
  • Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  • Please delete/remove the firmware file from the TF card after firmware upgrade
  • Please scan your Music Library again after firmware upgrade
  • If N8 is in charging status, the player will not reboot to main menu after firmware upgrade. It will stop at the battery charging page, you need to disconnect the USB charger to complete the firmware upgrade process.

Last edited:

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #999 of 3,873
Announcement of Cayin N8 firmware v1.1

New Functions and System Optimization
  1. Add new “Lock Screen” feature in System Setting and default to ON. When user click at the Volume knob to light up the display screen,
    • Enabled: users will be required to “Swipe up to unlock” before the player will resume operation.
    • Disable: player will resume operation directly
  2. Introduce new Volume Control screen with slider for quick control and buttons for fine adjustment
  3. Revise “Key Lock” feature in system setting. Users are offered three options (volume, play/pause, up and down) and they can lock or unlock each of these three options independently. The key lock setting will only be effective when the screen is off.
  4. Bug fix: power supply to analog circuit remains engaged occasionally when the player is power off with headphone plug in and during playback.
  5. Bug fix: activating inline remote control function occasionally when the headphone connector was shake or turned.
  6. Edit English interface to correct spelling and enhance readability
  7. Other Bug fix and optimizations
Firmware upgrades procedure

Cayin will release firmware upgrade to enhance and optimize N8 as deem required, the new firmware can be acquired through OTA or manual download, since the content of these firmware are identical, you can select whichever upgrade option that fit your needs.

Please make sure the device has sufficient battery power before you proceed. Please confirm the device has not less than 50% battery power; otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to firmware upgrade.

Option 1: Local Upgrade Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware upgrade package from Cayin website (www.cayin.cn). We have provided two download links, you can either download the package from our website or through our Google Drive.
  2. You should receive a compressed document N8 firmware XXXX.zip, decompress the zip file and extract the N8 firmware file (u8.upt)
  3. Copy N8 firmware file into the root directory of N8 internal memory or TF card, insert the TF card into N8 before you proceed to next step.
  4. Select System upgrade from System Setup menu, when prompted by the system, select “update via micro SD card”. You will be asked to confirm your selection, select OK to proceed.
  5. The system will start the firmware upgrade immediately, you can monitor the process through the Updater progress bar.
  6. The player will reboot into main menu when the firmware upgrade is completed. Please verify the firmware version number which is displayed under “About” option of pull down menu.
Option 2: OTA Upgrade Procedure
  1. Connect N8 to an Internet ready WiFi connection
  2. Make sure your N8 internal memory has at least 100MB available storage
  3. Select System upgrade from System Setup menu, when prompted by the system, select “OTA upgrade”. The player will detect if there is a new firmware available.
  4. If a new firmware is available, the player will display “Found new firmware XXX” at the top of the screen, select Download to proceed.
  5. At the end of the download process, the system will prompt you to confirm “Update firmware now?” Selecting “OK ” to proceed.
  6. The system will start the firmware upgrade immediately, you can monitor the process through the Updater progress bar.
  7. The player will reboot into main menu when the firmware upgrade is completed. Please verify the firmware version number which is displayed under “About” option of pull down menu.
Attention
  • N8 can support FAT/FAT32/exFAT/NTFS formatted TF card during the firmware upgrade process.
  • Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  • Please delete/remove the firmware file from the TF card after firmware upgrade
  • Please scan your Music Library again after firmware upgrade
  • If N8 is in charging status, the player will not reboot to main menu after firmware upgrade. It will stop at the battery charging page, you need to disconnect the USB charger to complete the firmware upgrade process.
Looking forward to updating my N8 when I get home after work tonight.

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #1,000 of 3,873
Thanks Andy for keeping us all up dated

Good to see Cayin is keeping up on things

I have become concerned for my planned and am saving to purchase of an N 8 , because 1st i read of a few serious errors/bugs here a few weeks ago , then heard nothing since as to whether those bugs were addressed

i have confidence in Cayin to fix any issues , and hope all these issues can be fixed via updates and are not hardware

Since this is the price of a nice used car in my country , i need to be 100% certain before i can make such a large splash

What is troubling to me is a message from Jaben , which i have sat on for a few days , not wishing to upset anyone or cause a fight , but i decided to share it and ask for some advice/opinions on such

The message i received from Jaben was " Sorry we do not have Cayin in stock due to the feedback of customers is not good. we recommend Sony NW-WM1Z or Astell & Kern SP1000 and Cayin are not allow to send oversea. "

My experience with cayin has been very good . i dont think my N6 has ever had an issue ,not even one & even the battery is still going strong

But this N8 is a new level of financial commitment , and will require some next level of certainty for me

All said with respect

Oct 18, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #1,001 of 3,873
Thanks Andy for keeping us all up dated

Good to see Cayin is keeping up on things

I have become concerned for my planned and am saving to purchase of an N 8 , because 1st i read of a few serious errors/bugs here a few weeks ago , then heard nothing since as to whether those bugs were addressed

i have confidence in Cayin to fix any issues , and hope all these issues can be fixed via updates and are not hardware

Since this is the price of a nice used car in my country , i need to be 100% certain before i can make such a large splash

What is troubling to me is a message from Jaben , which i have sat on for a few days , not wishing to upset anyone or cause a fight , but i decided to share it and ask for some advice/opinions on such

The message i received from Jaben was " Sorry we do not have Cayin in stock due to the feedback of customers is not good. we recommend Sony NW-WM1Z or Astell & Kern SP1000 and Cayin are not allow to send oversea. "

My experience with cayin has been very good . i dont think my N6 has ever had an issue ,not even one & even the battery is still going strong

But this N8 is a new level of financial commitment , and will require some next level of certainty for me

All said with respect

Jaben HK is relativley small team and they only have a handful of full time staff, so I can guess who wrote that to you and that is a dirty trick.

We run out of stock and can't fulfill the orders promptly, HK distributor didn't get all the units they placed order for, so they assigned their stock according to first come first serve, and Jaben is not in the front of the list so they don't have any N8 on hand. So instead of telling the customer that they don't have the product on hand, the staff try to divert customers to other competing products but the process is far from gentleman practice.

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #1,002 of 3,873
Jaben HK is relativley small team and they only have a handful of full time staff, so I can guess who wrote that to you and that is a dirty trick.

We run out of stock and can't fulfill the orders promptly, HK distributor didn't get all the units they placed order for, so they assigned their stock according to first come first serve, and Jaben is not in the front of the list so they don't have any N8 on hand. So instead of telling the customer that they don't have the product on hand, the staff try to divert customers to other competing products but the process is far from gentleman practice.
Especially when the N8 is actually BETTER (vs WM1Z) or at the very least on the same level (vs SP1000) as the competing products.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #1,003 of 3,873
Dirty tricks of the industry, what a shame :frowning2: In the last few years I have seen competitors leaving negative amazon reviews and other overseas distributors/retailers taking sides in a middle of manufactures conflicts ...

@Rozeqloud for you or anybody else in general, whenever a retailer gives you a vague statement about "bad customer feedback", ask them to be more specific with examples. People are more vocal about problems than praises, and HF thread will definitely have all the complaints out in public, so you can cross check what is real and what's not. I'm willing to give anybody a benefit of a doubt, but when a retail store talks about negative customer feedback while the manufacturer tells us that store doesn't even have the product in stock, something is serously fishy about it.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,004 of 3,873

Thank you Andy

My apologies for bringing it up , but it really concerned me

I do feel better now

Cheers

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #1,005 of 3,873
Dirty tricks of the industry, what a shame :frowning2: In the last few years I have seen competitors leaving negative amazon reviews and other overseas distributors/retailers taking sides in a middle of manufactures conflicts ...

@Rozeqloud for you or anybody else in general, whenever a retailer gives you a vague statement about "bad customer feedback", ask them to be more specific with examples. People are more vocal about problems than praises, and HF thread will definitely have all the complaints out in public, so you can cross check what is real and what's not. I'm willing to give anybody a benefit of a doubt, but when a retail store talks about negative customer feedback while the manufacturer tells us that store doesn't even have the product in stock, something is serously fishy about it.
Thanks mate

Yes , i immediately asked for more details , and the message was seen , but no reply was given

That was a red flag to me

I ve had nothing but good experience with Cayin , and my N6 is still solid . Never one issue

Thee early issue we seen here , have they been addressed and or fixed ?

i forget the members names in particular

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back