Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Mar 21, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #7,742 of 8,191
60-80 Hrs+ into my N8ii experience and the N6ii Ti isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It's not a replacement for me. It can't do the same things.

Mar 21, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #7,745 of 8,191
Yeah I'm actually taking mine off classifieds again, listened earlier and I can't part with it! Definitely complementary to M9 from a SQ perspective and smaller for portability.
N6ii is really a great investment not only for the R01 module but also for the other modules, which are now fairly affordable 2nd hand. If you ever tracked down an A02, you'd have a fantastic DAC which could be paired with any amp you threw at it.

Mar 21, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #7,746 of 8,191
Interesting. Are they mutually edifying? What does the Ti do differently?
It isn't delta sigma, lol.

So far (may be more to season) but the DAC's are extremely revealing. They are either looking to be too revealing for my library or I smell digititus and some one-dimensionality, except on only the most flawless of recordings that would sound good on anything.
Instrument timbre is better via r-2r. No question the amp stage is 300% improved on the N8ii but going back to hyper detailed DS is making me less than enthusiastic. Strings, vocals. and brass sound better on R01 to my ears right now, even if they are small and intimate.

ROHM is much better than ESS or AKM, I can surmise this much. It stands above those 2 giants, but doesn't quite get to the realism that an r-2r implementation gives you. I'll be keeping both for a while and see if things shift down the road.

Mar 21, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #7,747 of 8,191
N6ii is really a great investment not only for the R01 module but also for the other modules, which are now fairly affordable 2nd hand. If you ever tracked down an A02, you'd have a fantastic DAC which could be paired with any amp you threw at it.

Yeah I'll have to keep an eye out for A02, I would love to add C9 at some point. Now I have to ponder whether I think I can sell the NW-WM1A, which I think the answer is no also!

Mar 21, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #7,748 of 8,191
It isn't delta sigma, lol.

So far (may be more to season) but the DAC's are extremely revealing. They are either looking to be too revealing for my library or I smell digititus and some one-dimensionality, except on only the most flawless of recordings that would sound good on anything.
Instrument timbre is better via r-2r. No question the amp stage is 300% improved on the N8ii but going back to hyper detailed DS is making me less than enthusiastic. Strings, vocals. and brass sound better on R01 to my ears right now, even if they are small and intimate.

ROHM is much better than ESS or AKM, I can surmise this much. It stands above those 2 giants, but doesn't quite get to the realism that an r-2r implementation gives you. I'll be keeping both for a while and see if things shift down the road.
Thanks, appreciate the honest reflections. I'll be curious to see if long term use modifies the tonality on the N8ii for you.

Mar 22, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #7,749 of 8,191
Yeah I'll have to keep an eye out for A02, I would love to add C9 at some point. Now I have to ponder whether I think I can sell the NW-WM1A, which I think the answer is no also!

Its amazing that N6ii users are still looking for A02. Most DAP modules will quiet down 3 months after their release, A02 is hte odd one out.

R01 and E02 also get a lot of love, especially E02 which is a surprise to me. E02 shows up in second hand market quite often, but they also get sold very quickly.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 22, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #7,750 of 8,191
Its amazing that N6ii users are still looking for A02. Most DAP modules will quiet down 3 months after their release, A02 is hte odd one out.

R01 and E02 also get a lot of love, especially E02 which is a surprise to me. E02 shows up in second hand market quite often, but they also get sold very quickly.
I think that's because A02 scales up so well, so when paired with a high-end amp (desktop or portable), then it really punches above its price point. Plus, A02 has a smooth but detailed timbre that I think many people find appealing. And also because it uses a DAC chip that is now a part of audio history, it likely gives A02 an aura other modules don't have.

I'm a big fan of E02 myself for its dynamics and sense of speed, but I think it's more divisive for some people given its more forward presentation.

And R01 is, of course, N6ii's pièce de resistance (at least for IEMs).

Mar 22, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #7,751 of 8,191

i came from E01 and almost a year later just get my self secondhanded E02, but sometimes i still missed E01 class A sound.

Mar 22, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #7,752 of 8,191
i came from E01 and almost a year later just get my self secondhanded E02, but sometimes i still missed E01 class A sound.
That's why I stayed on e01, even though balanced seems appealing, class a it's so elegant and analogue that I cannot overlook it. I'm looking for r01 but cannot afford to buy one new at the moment

Mar 22, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #7,753 of 8,191
That's why I stayed on e01, even though balanced seems appealing, class a it's so elegant and analogue that I cannot overlook it. I'm looking for r01 but cannot afford to buy one new at the moment
yup that sweetness in A class amp is so addictive, make accoustic tipe of musics just nail my heart. just lack of power to drive certain tipe of headphone though. R01 is out of my league too right now, perhaps in next year or so in second handed market.

Mar 23, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #7,754 of 8,191
I think that's because A02 scales up so well, so when paired with a high-end amp (desktop or portable), then it really punches above its price point. Plus, A02 has a smooth but detailed timbre that I think many people find appealing. And also because it uses a DAC chip that is now a part of audio history, it likely gives A02 an aura other modules don't have.

I'm a big fan of E02 myself for its dynamics and sense of speed, but I think it's more divisive for some people given its more forward presentation.

And R01 is, of course, N6ii's pièce de resistance (at least for IEMs).
Well outlined indeed

Mar 23, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #7,755 of 8,191

Simply put, it’s because those three modules contain some of the best sound available on the portable market. I loved both the A02/C9 combo as well as the R01 module so much that I actually ended up buying a second N6ii so I could always have them both to hand.

I’ve also just purchased an N8ii which, when paired with the Oriolus Trailli (with PW Audio First Times cable) is a simply mind-blowing combination. I hate using the term endgame… but, for the first time, I can truly say that this might be the closest I’ve ever got to mine. The N8ii is one seriously impressive piece of hardware.

Historically, I’d always been an A&K fan but with the N6ii, C9 and now the N8ii, you guys continue to enthuse me as a (relatively recently minted) Cayin obsessive.

Keep up the great work, Team Cayin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back