Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Apr 6, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #5,776 of 8,191
Sometimes when using the ao2 module single ended I get a horribly crackly noise. After a couple of resets it sounds fine. Any idea why this might be? Not a massive problem but a bit annoying. And I've tried several amps and several cables to rule out those parts of the chain
The update to this issue is that now whenever I use the single ended line out I get a terrible crackly 'version' of whatever I'm listening to - qobuz, bbc sounds, etc. And resetting the unit does not fix the problem. If I then connect a balanced amp via the 4.4mm cable the sound is perfect. And then when I go back to single ended its fine again. Its almost like using the balanced out cleans up the signal. Very odd. There is a problem with either the player or the module so will test a different module.

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #5,777 of 8,191
If I do a factory reset on the N6ii am I correct in thinking that all the firmware updates will be removed? If this is the case then when the dap is booted up after a reset is it easy enough to then bring the firmware right up to date again?

I think I know the answer to this next question, but does a factory reset erase all the data & information that I have put on the Dap?

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #5,778 of 8,191
If I do a factory reset on the N6ii am I correct in thinking that all the firmware updates will be removed? If this is the case then when the dap is booted up after a reset is it easy enough to then bring the firmware right up to date again?

I think I know the answer to this next question, but does a factory reset erase all the data & information that I have put on the Dap?

A factory reset does not change firmware, if you do a reset it will be on the firmware you have installed now.

But it will erase all files you have saved on the internal hardisk and all settings will go back to default.

Apr 8, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #5,779 of 8,191
A factory reset does not change firmware, if you do a reset it will be on the firmware you have installed now.

But it will erase all files you have saved on the internal hardisk and all settings will go back to default.
Thanks for confirming that.

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #5,780 of 8,191
Not sure if this has been discussed as of yet for the N6ii but...
Any chance that the screen display could be flipped upside down so as to allow convenient viewing when stacked on a C9?

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #5,781 of 8,191
Sometimes when using the ao2 module single ended I get a horribly crackly noise. After a couple of resets it sounds fine. Any idea why this might be? Not a massive problem but a bit annoying. And I've tried several amps and several cables to rule out those parts of the chain.
The update to this issue is that now whenever I use the single ended line out I get a terrible crackly 'version' of whatever I'm listening to - qobuz, bbc sounds, etc. And resetting the unit does not fix the problem. If I then connect a balanced amp via the 4.4mm cable the sound is perfect. And then when I go back to single ended its fine again. Its almost like using the balanced out cleans up the signal. Very odd. There is a problem with either the player or the module so will test a different module.

This is a concerning situation, I haven't encounter similar problem with my 3.5mm line out on A02, and I didn't heard similar case so far.

First of all, make sure you have installed the latest firmware. Have you tried using another 3.5mm short interconnect? Maybe the ground connection of your short interconnect is bad and causing distortion? If you eliminated cable and firmware, reinstalled the Audio Motherboard and reset the player, and the noise remain unchanged, please contact your seller and ask them to check your Audio Motherboard.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 17, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #5,782 of 8,191
Not sure if this has been discussed as of yet for the N6ii but...
Any chance that the screen display could be flipped upside down so as to allow convenient viewing when stacked on a C9?
Submit request, conduct technical feasibility now.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #5,783 of 8,191
I agree plus if the N6ii+A02 is lost or stolen it will likely be returned because whoever finds it won't be able to get any sound out of the sockets when directly connecting to headphones, will assume its broken and give it back. :)

The line out won't work because the volume is disable, but if you set the A02 to preout and insert a fairly sensitive BA based IEM into A02, it can actually work quite fine. The sound will be a bit thin, but very transparent and sparkling. Not my cup of tea but someone might like this presentation.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #5,784 of 8,191
I noticed an issue recently which imo is not trivial at all. For over a year, I have been on the E01 module. Recently, I switched back to my A01 module and found an issue.

the A01 module has this very audible white noise of sorts when playing DSD files at native resolutions. Yes, regardless of what DSD files, the noise is present and very audible on Line Out. If I switch DSD playback to PCM, then the noise will be gone.

I’m already on the latest FW.

Anyone else has a similar issue?

Take a look at the status bar, does it display correct sampling rate when playback DSD? If it display 176kHz instead of 2.822 MHz, unplug your headphone and restart the player, it should resume back to normal. This is a random bug that appears once for a while, we are trying to isolate the root cause but for the meantime, unplug and restart should solve the problem.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #5,785 of 8,191
@Andykong , I already updated firmware to 2.2CN, so I have tried to installed google play store and tidal (apk). I can installed both but when I open them these 2 apps always stopped. what should I do to make them work ? it always said Tidal keeps stopped

If you are using Chinese firmware, please don't install Google Play, stick with APKPure, you can install most if not all reputable app through APK.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #5,786 of 8,191
@Andykong and N6ii users, have any of you with E02 board done any line out connection to a single ended Amp? I am getting a Topping A50s for my desktop rig and despite it being Balanced on the output side, the input are dual RCAs single ended. I can easily DIY my own ICs of 4.4mm to dual RCAs, just don't want to blow up my beloved N6ii:sweat:

Twister has provided a quick solution. If you want to DIY your cable, make sure you use the R+, R- and GND pin on 4.4mm connector only, do not use L- or R- as ground, that will damage your equipment.

Apr 17, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #5,787 of 8,191
Apr 17, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #5,788 of 8,191

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #5,789 of 8,191
But if he wants to DIY a cable, why not? I sure don’t want to have an adapter in the chain if there is a way to avoid that.
Thanks, both of you. I prefer DIY as it makes things simpler. And with the right knowledge about the connecting points, it should be good :)

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #5,790 of 8,191
Thanks, both of you. I prefer DIY as it makes things simpler. And with the right knowledge about the connecting points, it should be good :)

For sure! One thing you might find useful, that ddhifi adapter product page listing has a clear wiring diagram, helpful for either diy pigtail or when contacting cable manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back