Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Feb 16, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #5,522 of 8,189
He said this, So I am only charging it from wall charger and not the same PC with multiple USB. I have been doing this, and don’t see why it would be a problem though. Just as long as both devices is off

1. The Battery module and the C9 audio circuit did not share a common ground, so it is likely that there will be potential different between the two grounds. Therefore it is very important to charge the battery with a separate USB charger. Using the USB from connected audio source equipment (such as computer or media player) to charge up the C9 batteries will trigger the short circuit protection, and might even damage the device and/or connected source equipment.

That is correct, charging both simultaneously shouldn't be a problem. But once both are fully charged and you start the playback while C9 is still on a charger, it will trigger a short circuit protection and will stop charging batteries. I was doing my burn in overnight, just to find in the morning that battery was discharged while still being plugged into the charger. The explanation above made sense. This protection mechanism is because battery module connected to external charger doesn't share the same common ground as C9 audio circuit that will be connected to the ground of the source.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #5,523 of 8,189
That is correct, charging both simultaneously shouldn't be a problem. But once both are fully charged and you start the playback while C9 is still on a charger, it will trigger a short circuit protection and will stop charging batteries. I was doing my burn in overnight, just to find in the morning that battery was discharged while still being plugged into the charger. The explanation above made sense. This protection mechanism is because battery module connected to external charger doesn't share the same common ground as C9 audio circuit that will be connected to the ground of the source.
Thanks Alex :), this is the thing I don’t do with C9, I burn in as I listen and charge it while it is turned off !

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #5,524 of 8,189
For anyone who is curious about C9 and A02 + N6ii. The line out on this A02 is like a Black hole!! Now, I know why Cayin has no plan for a dedicated DAC with line out, because it has already been made !!

A02 with many options in Low Pass Filters is also very enjoyable. I happened to have found my favorite setting for PCM files, the greatest soundstage in X/Y/Z For A02

LPF ===> DSD or 3rd order

PCM Antialiasing filter (digital filters) ====> Short Delay Sharp Roll-Off

DSD Antialiasing Filters ======> Wide Bandwidth

Pregain: High

I also played around with Pre Out or Line out, and I gotta say that I do prefer Line out into C9, which contradicts what I read and researched between Andy personal preferences and A02 technical specs. I found the Line out to have better extensions on upper high, quick and decisive low but also very punchy with great controls. This especially shines with Class A + Korg
The A02 is also very light, can stack on the C9 so nicely, especially shaves off a lot of weight from Max. This also preserves the Max to be a stand alone player by itself :)!! A very worthy additions. To anyone who can’t or refuse to grab Max as a dedicated source to the C9, I dearly recommend the N6II A02
Now, I just need to be able to “Rotate my screen” @Andykong
The A02 is also surprisingly very Neutral tuning for AKM chips, Vocal is surprisingly well placed together with mid, a little denser highs when compare to Max just typical AKM vs Sabres again here, but bass and mid is very well balanced and neutral enough that it has great synergies with C9 while having a little different signatures Vs Max just exactly the way AKM vs Sabres should be

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #5,525 of 8,189
For anyone who is curious about C9 and A02 + N6ii. The line out on this A02 is like a Black hole!! Now, I know why Cayin has no plan for a dedicated DAC with line out, because it has already been made !!

A02 with many options in Low Pass Filters is also very enjoyable. I happened to have found my favorite setting for PCM files, the greatest soundstage in X/Y/Z For A02

LPF ===> DSD or 3rd order

PCM Antialiasing filter (digital filters) ====> Short Delay Sharp Roll-Off

DSD Antialiasing Filters ======> Wide Bandwidth

Pregain: High

I also played around with Pre Out or Line out, and I gotta say that I do prefer Line out into C9, which contradicts what I read and researched between Andy personal preferences and A02 technical specs. I found the Line out to have better extensions on upper high, quick and decisive low but also very punchy with great controls. This especially shines with Class A + Korg
The A02 is also very light, can stack on the C9 so nicely, especially shaves off a lot of weight from Max. This also preserves the Max to be a stand alone player by itself :)!! A very worthy additions. To anyone who can’t or refuse to grab Max as a dedicated source to the C9, I dearly recommend the N6II A02
Now, I just need to be able to “Rotate my screen” @Andykong
The A02 is also surprisingly very Neutral tuning for AKM chips, Vocal is surprisingly well placed together with mid, a little denser highs when compare to Max just typical AKM vs Sabres again here, but bass and mid is very well balanced and neutral enough that it has great synergies with C9 while having a little different signatures Vs Max just exactly the way AKM vs Sabres should be
is soundstage on the a02 considerably bigger than e02? my thoughts on e02 ended up being "it"s pretty good but nothing extraordinary"

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #5,526 of 8,189
is soundstage on the a02 considerably bigger than e02? my thoughts on e02 ended up being "it"s pretty good but nothing extraordinary"
I don’t have E02, but from my experiences, A02 has pretty large and enveloping soundstage, especially so with the shared LPF and setup. The LPF options have observable differences

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #5,533 of 8,189
I now use the HiBy music app - it has a few more tools for customisation. The Cayin music app is more end user friendly. Musically they are the same. It's a waste of storage to use both!
I wonder if there are other apps that would work well with N6ii. I had not been much into the Android for a while

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #5,535 of 8,189
I wonder if there are other apps that would work well with N6ii. I had not been much into the Android for a while
To answer my own question :D. I found UAPP to be excellent performer on C6ii + A02. The only thing I did was to enable “bit perfect”. The app automatically switched on “high res driver”.

Immediately I was able to hear more airiness and clarity with UAPP and 16/44.1khz Scarlet book standard files. The upper frequencies and extensions are retrieved with better energy, textures, extensions and sparkles than the Cayin/Hiby app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back