Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Aug 25, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #4,891 of 8,191
Thanks for the reply the other day - appreciated.

I really can't make my mind up what board I want to take a punt on if I'm being totally honest and with the upgrade being c£350 here, I was thinking about just skipping these altogether and just getting the new N3 pro when it comes out, just to give the tube sound a listen, as this has 3 or 4 sound flavours to run with - seems a better value for money to my mind!?

Let's wait for a couple of the reviews to pop up and see what the opinions on the N3 pro are like first - interesting times.
I’ve just read a couple of early reviews. The tube part sounds interesting and it looks as though they glow through the Dap when they are being used. Audio Concierge have it on pre-order at £399.

Ha ha, we all face the same questions in this hobby; should I buy this or buy that or wait for the other. I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer. What is value for money though is debatable and it can be different for everyone. Here we have a situation where the cost of a motherboard is the same, generally speaking, as a whole new Dap. The fact it has four flavours, and tubes, makes it intriguing. The fact it is made by Cayin means we know it will be quality. Bear in mind though that the N6ii (A01)+ E02 is essentially £1,000 more than the N3 Pro, and there has to be a reason for that price difference.

Why not get the N3 Pro and see if you like it. If it is not to your taste then you can always sell it on the classifieds here.

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #4,892 of 8,191
Since I mentioned this before, about @ddHiFi case for N6ii, I finally got one today and just did a quick test and a handful of close ups. Actually, a very cool design where the DAP slides from the side and flip cover tucks in securely, but can also be open to access micro SD card on the side. All the corners are protected, and N6ii won't slide out if you pull on the cable. The cutout at the top is generous enough to accommodate port opening for all the modular boards. HW transport control buttons are covered and easy to feel. Overall, case fits N6ii like a glove, and oil waxed cowhide leather feels nice. And, yes, you can have motherboard card without screws and it will stay in secure.

ddhifi-n6ii-case-02.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-03.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-04.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-05.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-06.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-07.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-08.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-09.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-11.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-12.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-13.jpgddhifi-n6ii-case-14.jpg
I have this case for my FiiO M11 Pro, nice case but cannot use with 4.4 balanced it does not plug all the way in. Did you have any issues with N6ii 4.4 ?
Thanks

Aug 26, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #4,894 of 8,191
I have this case for my FiiO M11 Pro, nice case but cannot use with 4.4 balanced it does not plug all the way in. Did you have any issues with N6ii 4.4 ?
Thanks

No issues, but it will depend on your cable plug rather than case. If your 4.4mm plug doesn't have a short collar-spacer and the plug housing is big, there could be a gap due to a thickness of the case that will affects the connection.

Aug 26, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #4,895 of 8,191
No issues, but it will depend on your cable plug rather than case. If your 4.4mm plug doesn't have a short collar-spacer and the plug housing is big, there could be a gap due to a thickness of the case that will affects the connection.
Thanks for the reply, I'm using Silver Dragon Cables with a 4.4 TRRRS Furtech Carbon Fiber plug. The radius of the connector stops it from inserting all the way into the PO due to the case opening not having a large enough radius. Other than that is is a nice case.

Aug 27, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #4,896 of 8,191
Need some help on Cayin N6ii modules. I am demoing right now with the E02 and I am getting definite audible hiss on my 64 Audio Nio. I currently have a Fiio M11 Pro and I get no hiss at all on that, but I was looking for a little weightier tone from the DAP. I really like the sound I am getting from the E02 module, but the hiss is just too much. Between the A01 and the T01 do either of these modules have a similar sound profile (or at least a weightier sound to the M11 Pro) without the hiss? Or possibly the E01 even though it's not balanced? Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #4,897 of 8,191
for me it's not so much the hiss on N6ii but RF interference everytime my DAP come near my mobile, really annoying

Aug 28, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #4,898 of 8,191
To be clear I only hear it between songs and in quiet passages of songs. Has anyone tried the HiBy impedance Adapter and know if it works well? That hiss currently is the only thing holding me back from entirely loving this DAP with the E02 module.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #4,899 of 8,191
Okay, one more update here. It seems like the hissing only happens on songs that coming through at 24-bit/192khz. When I switch to songs lower than this (44.1khz or 96khz) the hissing subsides. Any thoughts on that one?

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #4,900 of 8,191
Okay, one more update here. It seems like the hissing only happens on songs that coming through at 24-bit/192khz. When I switch to songs lower than this (44.1khz or 96khz) the hissing subsides. Any thoughts on that one?
I’m not sure how close the ‘hiss-ability’ is between the Nio and the Trio, but I’m listening to the E02 right now with Trio and I’m getting no hiss at all. I have tried putting my iPhone directly on top of the N6ii and have been steaming Tidal and it’s still fine. Could it be to do with impedance? I’m not up on the techs stuff so someone better versed in that area may be able to chime in.

It’s a pity if the hissing persists because the E02 is really impressing me.

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #4,901 of 8,191
I’m not sure how close the ‘hiss-ability’ is between the Nio and the Trio, but I’m listening to the E02 right now with Trio and I’m getting no hiss at all. I have tried putting my iPhone directly on top of the N6ii and have been steaming Tidal and it’s still fine. Could it be to do with impedance? I’m not up on the techs stuff so someone better versed in that area may be able to chime in.

It’s a pity if the hissing persists because the E02 is really impressing me.
I'm not sure what's going on. I just tried my ZMF Verite Open's with the DAP and I am now getting a high pitched sound in the background that changes in volume and tone as I turn my head. I wonder if this has something to do with copper? I have copper on my Verite's and the cable I am using. Never had this problem with the HiBy R6 Pro or the Fiio M11 Pro. Looking like the Cayin isn't going to work for me unless there is just something wrong with the DAP itself.

Aug 28, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #4,902 of 8,191
I'm not sure what's going on. I just tried my ZMF Verite Open's with the DAP and I am now getting a high pitched sound in the background that changes in volume and tone as I turn my head. I wonder if this has something to do with copper? I have copper on my Verite's and the cable I am using. Never had this problem with the HiBy R6 Pro or the Fiio M11 Pro. Looking like the Cayin isn't going to work for me unless there is just something wrong with the DAP itself.
Can you test with a few other IEMs and headphones? If they all have issues then it has to be the actual Dap or motherboard that has the problem.

Aug 28, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #4,903 of 8,191

Sounds like something is off with your N6ii/E02. You said you are demoing it, I assume from Musicteck since you are in US? As I mentioned in my review, with some very sensitive IEMs (Campfire) there could be background waterfall hissing, but tbh I don't hear it with Nio. Also, when you use special adapter for 3.5mm to 4.mm, so you are running E02 like SE E01, hissing is even less. Just tried Hiby impedance cable, got that one as well, it is kind of like IEMatch, attenuates it even more. But I'm wondering if something is off with your N6ii demo unit.

Aug 28, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #4,904 of 8,191
Need some help on Cayin N6ii modules. I am demoing right now with the E02 and I am getting definite audible hiss on my 64 Audio Nio. I currently have a Fiio M11 Pro and I get no hiss at all on that, but I was looking for a little weightier tone from the DAP. I really like the sound I am getting from the E02 module, but the hiss is just too much. Between the A01 and the T01 do either of these modules have a similar sound profile (or at least a weightier sound to the M11 Pro) without the hiss? Or possibly the E01 even though it's not balanced? Thanks.

Give E01 a try. Yes, it is single-ended only, but many users has recognised that balanced is not always better after they tried E01. When implemented properly, single-end can sound outstanding.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 28, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #4,905 of 8,191
@Andykong I'm considering getting the E02 module. However, I would also need to get a balanced cable for my Beyerdynamic T5p Gen 2 over-ears. Beyer shows this wiring diagram for their balanced cable:

Tip: R–
Ring 1: R+
Ring 2: L+
Sleeve: L–

Is the E02 wiring compatible?

Something is not right? The 4.4mm of E02 is TRRRS, not TRRS.

1598642573511.png

Attachments

• 1598642510955.png
    1598642510955.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back