1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Andykong, Apr 7, 2019.
First

Back
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Next

Last
  1. howdy
    I really think its a great player but I can't justify spending that much on a DAP.

seanwee and maira like this.
  2. deniska80
    I want it as interchangeable module for n6-2. Like ibasso amp9

3. deniska80
    My bet is 300$

4. Nayparm
    Probably about right, if its priced too high though instead of buying the A02 people may just opt for a different make new dap which will have a nice new screen and battery.

seanwee likes this.
  5. tekkster
    I wasn't expecting the N6ii to be modular. This is interesting. I do prefer the shorter and thicker dimensions of DAPs generally, like the R6, Opus 3, etc. Been thinking about the iBasso DX220 + Amp8 Nutube module (despit it's thin and tall dimensions).

Might be fun to get in on the ground floor with a new modular DAP.

The small size of the iBasso and Fiiio amp modules seems like the circuit boards in those modules are tiny, but the thickness implies they can add thicker chipsets.
    The larger width and height of the Cayin amp modules seems like the circuit board surface area is bigger, but chipsets would have to be ultra thin.

Which might, maaaaaybe, imply that in the future, as Cayin creates new modules, chipsets like the nutube might not fit real well, so am curious what new amps will look like or what capabilities they will have. Given that Fiio came up with the THX certified module, maybe my thoughts aren't really relevant, but my mind is pondering.

Hmmmm....interesting interesting....

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    obileye obiyemi likes this.
  6. chungjun
    Interesting indeed. Subscribed.

PhilW likes this.
  7. maira
    I also do think 1200 Dollar is a hefty price tag (i dont know what the price is in Asia). I hoped for something a tad better than N5ii and with focus on SQ. This now is not really a follow up to the older N6. Its more a N7.

seanwee, bahamot, tekkster and 2 others like this.
  8. milesjunkie
    Intriguing stuff from Cayin and around the price I was expecting. Very happy with my modded ZX300 but always love seeing new ideas.

PhilW likes this.
  9. seanwee
    Yes.

If I'm not mistaken, any amp stage that use op-amps fall under class AB. Class A is for discrete amps while Class D is a digital amp (ie Sony S-master HX, direct digital to analog amp without the need for a dac).

maira likes this.
  10. seanwee
    Very well said.

Considering the price of the original N6 at $650 I was expecting a +-$800 dap considering how the N5ii was priced compared to the original N5. A dap purpose built for sound but also modernised to fit into the android dap trend.

But what we got was indeed closer to an N7 than a true N6 successor.

An N6 successor with a level of improvement akin to the one we got going from the N5 to N5ii would have been KILLER

cathee, Ray3rd, fokta and 3 others like this.
  11. fokta
    so N5iiS also class AB then...

I consider Cayin used or at least know how to maximize HW...
    Love to try this N6ii and N8....
    quite rare item in my country..

12. maira
    Ah okay, i see. My Pono Player is Class A in BAL mode so its possible to do for only 400 Dollars....

13. Raketen
    FWIU classification isn't really related to that- it has to do with the state of the amplifier circuit- Class A means the amp circuitry is "on" all the time- it is very power inefficient/generates a lot of heat, so B, AB, and C are variations that switch the output between different sets of amp circuitry in order to manage the heat basically (at the cost of increasing distortion depending on how the switching works). If I understand right, both OPAMP based and discrete component amps can be set up as any of these classes including A.

I think Class D amp isnt exactly digital itself but works on a different principle than A/B/C- Instead of switching between amp circuits providing a steady voltage boost to the original analog input signal, Class D self-regulates by reproducing an input of modulated square waves that replicate the audio input (so not strictly binary like digital is) which is much more efficient because it only outputs the strength of signal needed at any particular instant. The input/control signal that replicates the audio input can be generated in different ways including (advantageously) digitally (like with Sony's S-Master or a lot of integrated/mobile type dac/amp chips).

I'm probably also mischaracterizing somewhat, but I think that's the gist of how it works.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    seanwee and ddmt like this.
  14. cr3ativ3
    any news for a release date ?

15. jmills8
    May something.

First

Back
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Next

Last