Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Sep 25, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #1,938 of 8,191
Can you give an idea of how the sound of T01 differs to A01? i.e. is it more neutral, crisper, brighter etc

yes. At least my ear told me this lol

Sep 25, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #1,939 of 8,191
Had Cayin N6ii with A01 for two days now. Had about 3-4 hours listening. Btw love the guys at www.musicteck.com !! They accidentally sent me a brand new unit after I ordered a “like new” unit! They told me I could just have it. So thanks guys!

So I have owned and spent a lot of time with the KAAN CUBE, ibasso dx220 stock and now the Cayin N6ii on my OCD hunt for the best DAP in the Midfi range. This is it. Addictive, beautiful, pretty much romantic sound signature. Natural organic, crisp, warm low end, lower mid range bass being the superstar.

My reference album is John Mayer’s Continuim. I know it very well, and haven’t enjoyed the record as much as I have with this player. Lush lower Mid range and to my ears perfect top end when matched with Sendy Aivas. Johns vocals sound more fleshed out and more lifelike than CUBE or dx220. Dx220 did sound holographic but placed instruments within its extremely wide soundstage (almost unrealistic) in odd places and would almost trip me out a bit. On the other hand soundstage on Cayin is believable focusing on the music rather than trying to blow your mind with aural sorcery. Attack and decay on all instruments is perfect to my ears. The timing and rhythmic quality of this player is so on point. Live drums sound exactly as they should. This player loves all genres too. Not a one trick pony.

The CUBE from memory was, after listening to the Cayin, accented in the Sub bass region and Top end too extended especially paired with the Sendy. I have to say though the CUBE pairing with my A18t’s was pretty stunning. Dunno why just loved it. I haven’t moved onto my 64 Audio A18t’s on the Cayin yet as I’m kinda addicted to the N6ii / Sendy pairing right now. I’ll update sound on A18’s when I’ve spent some time with that paring. But for now completely blown away by how immersive, soulful and inviting the sound of this DAP is.

Let me put it this way. If I compared the three players players I’ve owned to artists the CUBE would be Mondrian the DX220 would be Picasso and the Cayin would be Van Gogh. Lol. Describing sound is really difficult, but hey I tried.

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #1,940 of 8,191
May be a stupid question, did anybody try HD800s with n6II from the 4.4 output?
It is obvious that these cans need a higher grade/level of amplification, just wondering if it makes sense to try while waiting for a good amplifier.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #1,941 of 8,191
May be a stupid question, did anybody try HD800s with n6II form the 4.4 output?
It is obvious that these cans need a higher grade/level of amplification, just wondering if it make sense to try while waiting for a good amplifier.
Thanks.

I don’t have HD 800s but I am ordering a hybrid 8 wire cable to try the HD 600 and N6ii. Let see how that combination sounds versus the Angie II IEM and PW#05.

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #1,942 of 8,191
It is obvious that these cans need a higher grade/level of amplification, just wondering if it makes sense to try while waiting for a good amplifier.
Thanks.
YES, it sound good, love the synergy.

Sep 26, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #1,943 of 8,191
Thanks.
I haven’t, but when I get home I will. I did run the ZMF Verite and ZMF Verite Closed, along with the ZMF Aeolus with the N6ii and all worked very well. They are all in the same power requirements ball park as the HD800 so I am confident the N6ii will power the HD800 just fine from the 4.4mm.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #1,944 of 8,191
Was about to pull the trigger on this until I read that people were experiencing interference issues running out of balanced with Wi-Fi on. Is this something that affects only some units (or modules) or is it all? Would anyone be able to comment if they hear anything when using Tidal with IER-Z1R from 4.4 in particular? Thanks.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #1,945 of 8,191
Was about to pull the trigger on this until I read that people were experiencing interference issues running out of balanced with Wi-Fi on. Is this something that affects only some units (or modules) or is it all? Would anyone be able to comment if they hear anything when using Tidal with IER-Z1R from 4.4 in particular? Thanks.
If you getting nervous then you not ready.

Sep 27, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #1,946 of 8,191

Listening to deezer or spotify all the time on WiFi with ier z1r 4.4, and not experiencing any said inteference.

Sep 27, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #1,947 of 8,191
I can pick up interference on Andromeda 4.4 output with Tidal streaming but not with full size Aeolus headphones. So I suspect it comes down to sensitivity.
Will hopefully be picking up ier z1r this weekend so will give it a try to see if I hear anything - I'm hoping not.

Sep 27, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #1,948 of 8,191
I can pick up interference on Andromeda 4.4 output with Tidal streaming but not with full size Aeolus headphones. So I suspect it comes down to sensitivity.
Will hopefully be picking up ier z1r this weekend so will give it a try to see if I hear anything - I'm hoping not.
I have the Andromeda Golds, and Andro v2 (I think?) and with 4.4 I get some noise but less with the golds. But the Andromeda’s are notoriously sensitive, I haven’t had any issue with noise with any of my other headphones so far using 4.4mm...but I do use a 4.4mm to XLR adapter for everything that isn’t the Andros, not sure that makes a difference “I’m a consumer Jim, not a scientist!”

Sep 27, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #1,949 of 8,191
I have the Andromeda Golds, and Andro v2 (I think?) and with 4.4 I get some noise but less with the golds. But the Andromeda’s are notoriously sensitive, I haven’t had any issue with noise with any of my other headphones so far using 4.4mm...but I do use a 4.4mm to XLR adapter for everything that isn’t the Andros, not sure that makes a difference “I’m a consumer Jim, not a scientist!”

I was thinking about picking up a 4.4 cable for the Andromeda golds (or maybe the dunu hulk), but I already hear some slight hiss with the gold's on the 3.5 output so I imagine there would likely be more on the 4.4 with the n6ii, but if that's not the case...

Sep 27, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #1,950 of 8,191
I was thinking about picking up a 4.4 cable for the Andromeda golds (or maybe the dunu hulk), but I already hear some slight hiss with the gold's on the 3.5 output so I imagine there would likely be more on the 4.4 with the n6ii, but if that's not the case...
Andros are blah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back