Cayin N6 - New Audiophile DAP (Updated with new pics)
Sep 29, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #16 of 166
Any new information about it :sweat_smile:

Oh, I know exactly why you got rid off your DX90
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #18 of 166

I'm actually a bit surprised with dual PCM DACs they don't offer a balanced headphone mode option.  Or maybe it's a feature to be announced.  Would have loved to try my RE400B on something beside HM700 (don't have any other hifiman daps).

With round face, the display is still square, just a round design detail of the case body.  

Still ugly either way, my idea of a good looking DAP is my hm 801, Black on Gold. It's a little black box with gold accents lol

how ever though, the specs for this sound nice...

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #19 of 166
Notwithstanding the alleged DSD x128 (5,6 MHz sampling rate) native support by the DAP, the DAC chip (PCM 1792A), which the N6 is built on seems to support the x64 DSD mode only (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1792a.pdf ,   page 2: "DATA FORMAT (DSD Mode)-fS Sampling frequency 2.8224 MHz", and page 42: "2.8224 MHz × 4. (2.8224 MHz = 64 × 44.1 kHz. This value is specified as a sampling rate of DSD", which might be specified as an example only, still I haven't found any 5,6 MHz indications and references pertaining to DSD supported mode). Which leaves the question of genuine "native DSD support" implemented in the DAP open, or am I missing anything?

Oct 3, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #20 of 166
Notwithstanding the alleged DSD x128 (5,6 MHz sampling rate) native support by the DAP, the DAC chip (PCM 1792A), which the N6 is built on seems to support the x64 DSD mode only (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1792a.pdf ,   page 2: "DATA FORMAT (DSD Mode)-fS Sampling frequency 2.8224 MHz", and page 42: "2.8224 MHz × 4. (2.8224 MHz = 64 × 44.1 kHz. This value is specified as a sampling rate of DSD", which might be specified as an example only, still I haven't found any 5,6 MHz indications and references pertaining to DSD supported mode). Which leaves the question of genuine "native DSD support" implemented in the DAP open, or am I missing anything?

Fair question. Hopefully someone can sort this out.

Perhaps DSD x128 is achieved through the dual mono application. 1x PCM 1792 per channel = Double bandwith?

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #21 of 166
Fair question. Hopefully someone can sort this out.

Perhaps DSD x128 is achieved through the dual mono application. 1x PCM 1792 per channel = Double bandwith?

As far as I understand, dual mono DAC aplication only helps to achieve higher\better SNR and THD+H (which actually improve insignificantly in such a case), and linearity of digital-to-analog conversion (frankly, I have a very vague concept of that parameter, as of many others :), but not the max supported DSD sampling rate\mode. The latter is an inherent feature of the DAC chip, which is chips number-independent. Actually, I'm not that concerned about x128 native DSD support and even about native DSD support in general, I was just curious:)  

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #23 of 166
  Found a few more pictures of N6:

ugh, gawd that thing is ugly... well not nearly as bad as the HM 901 *gaags* but pretty rough lookin, oh well let's hope it sounds amazing and has a nice in hand feel 

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #24 of 166
  ugh, gawd that thing is ugly... well not nearly as bad as the HM 901 *gaags* but pretty rough lookin, oh well let's hope it sounds amazing and has a nice in hand feel 

Sound before beauty.

*Insert grinch movie reference*

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #26 of 166

Hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder 
wink.gif
  I guess you hate these pictures so much that you had to quote them in the reply, now you have a double dose of N6 to stare you in the face
tongue.gif

Personally, I think it's original looking, definitely will stand out from the crowd and nobody going to mistake it for a "new version of iPod classic" like I'm being constantly asked about at work whenever I have X1 and X5 with me...  Also, I hope you are being sarcastic about HM801 brick being a "thing of beauty".  I have full respect for HiFiMAN, but with an exception of HM700 which I have - everything else is awful looking.  But who cares since it sounds great!  The same with N6, either if you like the look or you don't, at the end what matters is the sound 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back