Cayin N5ii Technical Support thread
May 16, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #166 of 376
Not sure about duplication issue but I do know that the unit doesn't recognise Year (displays as Unknown) and track numbers do not seem to be taken into account. For the latter I prefix Filename with track number, format - nn. Don't forget a leading zero otherwise it will sort out of order too.

I previously reported that the year was not reading. Hopefully they fix it!

May 21, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #167 of 376
My N5II is powering off with 50% battery. Does anyone experience that?

I have OS V3.3, and already did the wipe out cache.

I'm not using SD card yet and I have roughly 11gb of free space in the internal memory.

Can my unit be faulty?

Hi, sorry for the late reply!We have left office and attended high end munich 2018 from 8-20th, May and just came back to office. I never received the same feedback before. May I know when and where did you buy this unit? How often does it happen?Maybe you can reset the N5ii to have a try

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 21, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #168 of 376
Great! Thanks!

Edit: Also, should .TXT (unsynched) lyric files display? The only lyrics which display are the synched .LRC files. Any .TXT just say no lyrics found in the screen, same as I see if there are no lyric files at all for a song.

Hi, N5ii doesn't support .TXT lyric files display.

May 21, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #169 of 376
Just received my n5ii. Figured out how to navigate, setup wifi, update firmware, etc. I'm awaiting microSD cards. When I connect the DAP to my Mac and allow for USB mass storage file movement, I copy a music album from my Mac to the n5ii Music folder. All is well after I Eject and then request the n5ii to scan. However, what I see is duplicate entries for the songs. They follow one another in same song sequence. And, disturbingly, they are not in the correct sequence on the album (the n5ii clearly is not using the tags to correctly sequence the song info). What am I doing wrong? One thing I'm unsure of, and may be the root cause of what I'm seeing, is that there appear to be two options for performing a scan: a) Scan all b) Scan a specified folder. Is it possible that doing a) causes the duplication that I'm seeing?

Hi, to solve your problem quickly, please help me clarify the following questions:
1. Where did you download the music files? which software? iTune?From Mac or other operating system devices?
2. Do your files contain cue files?
3. What is your current firmware?

Last edited:

May 21, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #170 of 376
With the change in seasons I've switched how I use the Cayin, and the unexpected pauses have stopped.
During the winter, I am in and out of the device often (everyday), downloading new music and podcasts. My listening often switches between podcasts and music. I listen for about an hour or so at a time.
Now, I just load a list of albums and let it play. I usually play for at least a couple of hours at a time. I only add music every couple of weeks. I do charge every other day or so.

May 21, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #171 of 376
Hi. Hope Munich was worthwhile for you and your team. I simply copied the music into available memory on the Cayin from a USB attached drive connected to my iMac (running latest macOS version). No cue files. Updated the Cayin to the latest firmware.
Since posting, I've received a couple of Samsung 256GB microSD cards and filled them with albums. Have not had any issues with duplicate entries so far. Must have been a glitch in the process of scanning. I'm wondering if I need to always explicitly point to the folder I wish to scan rather than global scan.

Anyway, the only other thing I have noticed so far is that unlike using Roon as a player on numerous UNIX based systems (macOS and my Roon Nucleus), many album covers do not appear. I don't have unique files in my album folders, so I'm assuming the artwork is being "found" in tags or other ways when Roon does its scanning. I'm trying to avoid the very, very lengthy process of finding, saving, and populating of such files (taking up memory card real estate in the microSD cards) to get the artwork reflected in the Cayin. Any suggestions?
Hi, to solve your problem quickly, please help me clarify the following questions:
1. Where did you download the music files? which software? iTune?From Mac or other operating system devices?
2. Do your files contain cue files?
3. What is your current firmware?

May 22, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #172 of 376
Hi. Hope Munich was worthwhile for you and your team. I simply copied the music into available memory on the Cayin from a USB attached drive connected to my iMac (running latest macOS version). No cue files. Updated the Cayin to the latest firmware.
Since posting, I've received a couple of Samsung 256GB microSD cards and filled them with albums. Have not had any issues with duplicate entries so far. Must have been a glitch in the process of scanning. I'm wondering if I need to always explicitly point to the folder I wish to scan rather than global scan.

Anyway, the only other thing I have noticed so far is that unlike using Roon as a player on numerous UNIX based systems (macOS and my Roon Nucleus), many album covers do not appear. I don't have unique files in my album folders, so I'm assuming the artwork is being "found" in tags or other ways when Roon does its scanning. I'm trying to avoid the very, very lengthy process of finding, saving, and populating of such files (taking up memory card real estate in the microSD cards) to get the artwork reflected in the Cayin. Any suggestions?

Hi, you can scan specified folder as you wish by going to music scan->scan specified folder->select the folder you want like picture below->start scanning. You referred to "I don't have unique files in my album folders",how often does it happen? always or sometimes?
upload_2018-5-22_14-6-33.png

May 22, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #173 of 376
Hi, you can scan specified folder as you wish by going to music scan->scan specified folder->select the folder you want like picture below->start scanning. You referred to "I don't have unique files in my album folders",how often does it happen? always or sometimes?
It happens about 10% of the albums. I have split all of the albums across the two microSD cards with each album in its own folder. None of the folders has a file with album art. So, that's why I'm unclear as to how the Cayin system "finds" artwork to display on the album pages.

May 22, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #174 of 376
CFC98B50-9303-44C0-8ED8-07C4B4C0D25A.jpeg
Just to close the loop on this, I was quoted $50 to replace the screen after contacting the store I bought this from - not bad!
Just to close the loop on this, I was quoted $50 to replace the screen after contacting the store I bought this from - not bad!
Update on the marks on the screen. The original marks disappeared on their own over a few weeks, which was great, then the other day I left it in the car on a sunny day and this happened. My bad again, and hopefully they disappear. Now I think this was the same problem the first time too.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #175 of 376
Just received my n5ii. Figured out how to navigate, setup wifi, update firmware, etc. I'm awaiting microSD cards. When I connect the DAP to my Mac and allow for USB mass storage file movement, I copy a music album from my Mac to the n5ii Music folder. All is well after I Eject and then request the n5ii to scan. However, what I see is duplicate entries for the songs. They follow one another in same song sequence. And, disturbingly, they are not in the correct sequence on the album (the n5ii clearly is not using the tags to correctly sequence the song info). What am I doing wrong? One thing I'm unsure of, and may be the root cause of what I'm seeing, is that there appear to be two options for performing a scan: a) Scan all b) Scan a specified folder. Is it possible that doing a) causes the duplication that I'm seeing?

The duplicated entries are created by your Mac system. OS X makes quite a lot of use of extended file attributes to store ACLs, metadata, etc. When writing to a file system that doesn't handle OS X file attributes and metadata, it creates a "dot-underscore" file to store that extra information in. On OS X, the "dot-underscore" file is invisible and used in a way that the user is not aware of; on UNIX and Linux, the file is invisible and ignored; on Windows and Android, you see it.
(cf. https://www.quora.com/Why-does-a-Mac-produce-duplicate-files-when-read-on-a-PC)

Since the content of the files are not relevant to N5ii operation, I suggest you remove them from your DAP or TF cards. These are small files always start with "_" in front of the file name so it should be fairly straight forward to remove them in batch. I have run into similar problem previously and I connect my DAP to a Window PC, conduct a global search for files below 100KB, sort them by filename, and delete all the files started with "-".

N5ii recognize album art by:
  1. Embedded: you can embedded a JPG file into the header of your music file (if the format supported), this is the best option as you can reorganize your music library anytime and yet the album art will also be available. you can use metedata management software such as MP3Tag to do this.
  2. Same Filename: In case you want to display a different album art to each song within a folder, you can rename the album art to the EXACT name of the music file, N5ii will change to different album art when they have identify a image file that is named after the music file.
  3. Predefined: Rename the album art to cover.jpg or folder.jpg and place it into the same folder of the music file, N5ii will look for the file and display it as the album art for all the music files in the same folder.
Please do not use exceedingly large graphic files as album art as they might cause short term CPU brust when loading the graphic file. We recommend jpeg at or below 1000x1000

May 22, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #176 of 376
Guys, I was watching the changelog of the new software update from hiby for his dap, the hiby R6, and I've seen this new feature: ”3.1 Added HiByLink server option in WiFi network (please update smartphone's HiByMusic to newest version);"
Maybe is it possible that hibyLink through wifiDirect will be implemented in the future for our dap?

May 22, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #177 of 376
The duplicated entries are created by your Mac system. OS X makes quite a lot of use of extended file attributes to store ACLs, metadata, etc. When writing to a file system that doesn't handle OS X file attributes and metadata, it creates a "dot-underscore" file to store that extra information in. On OS X, the "dot-underscore" file is invisible and used in a way that the user is not aware of; on UNIX and Linux, the file is invisible and ignored; on Windows and Android, you see it.
(cf. https://www.quora.com/Why-does-a-Mac-produce-duplicate-files-when-read-on-a-PC)

Since the content of the files are not relevant to N5ii operation, I suggest you remove them from your DAP or TF cards. These are small files always start with "_" in front of the file name so it should be fairly straight forward to remove them in batch. I have run into similar problem previously and I connect my DAP to a Window PC, conduct a global search for files below 100KB, sort them by filename, and delete all the files started with "-".

N5ii recognize album art by:
  1. Embedded: you can embedded a JPG file into the header of your music file (if the format supported), this is the best option as you can reorganize your music library anytime and yet the album art will also be available. you can use metedata management software such as MP3Tag to do this.
  2. Same Filename: In case you want to display a different album art to each song within a folder, you can rename the album art to the EXACT name of the music file, N5ii will change to different album art when they have identify a image file that is named after the music file.
  3. Predefined: Rename the album art to cover.jpg or folder.jpg and place it into the same folder of the music file, N5ii will look for the file and display it as the album art for all the music files in the same folder.
Please do not use exceedingly large graphic files as album art as they might cause short term CPU brust when loading the graphic file. We recommend jpeg at or below 1000x1000

I checked all of my internal memory and the two microSD cards. None of the album folders contain any files beginning with ._ or _ or . at all.

MP3Tag does not run on Mac systems. I have used another program called Yate to manage tags, especially album art. It has worked flawlessly in adding album art to my music. It does not add any additional files. So, I can only presume it is doing its magic via metadata. So, it appears that my only option to fix these problems is to create a jpg file for each instance where it fails to appear. It certainly would be nice to figure out why the Cayin sees the metadata on most albums, but not others.

Also, I've wondered about why I'm able to play music via Bluetooth on my AudioEngine speakers but not on a pair of Nuheara IQbuds. Seems to do with the version of Bluetooth, I suppose. That's clearly a messy area. Ah well...

Update: I have begun checking once again to see if in fact the artwork metadata is present on the subject albums. I'm suspicious that the Roon software, when it doesn't see any embedded artwork adds its own from its libraries without asking me. That would explain why I'm seeing it in one case and not the other.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #178 of 376
Updated firmware to 3.3 over the weekend and not gonna lie. It's way buggier than 3.1 on my device. I'm dropping audio now, the interface turns to snow a lot more, and I'm having to reboot often (almost daily) now. :frowning2:

May 22, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #179 of 376
Updated firmware to 3.3 over the weekend and not gonna lie. It's way buggier than 3.1 on my device. I'm dropping audio now, the interface turns to snow a lot more, and I'm having to reboot often (almost daily) now. :frowning2:
That's unfortunate: I was having severe issues and firmware 3.3 completely solved them, to the point I haven't experienced a single freeze since I installed it (the day of release). I hope the next release will be able to fix all the issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back