Cayin N5ii Technical Support thread
Jun 12, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #211 of 376
My unit behaves much better with the latest firmware. I had one longer pause right after the firmware upgrade, but nothing really out of place since.

I saw a post by Cayin Support at one point that noted that the unit really is most reliable when doing one thing at a time. I would say from experience that this is correct. For example, I tend to jam up the works when I try to change songs while it is still playing another song. If I hit stop first, everything seems to go more smoothly.

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #212 of 376
I think that this player is really well builded and Its price/features ratio is really amazing. Episodes like the ones in this group are isolated. In my opinion nothing to worry about. I'm an happy possessor of the cayin n5ii, and before this dap I was using the really portable and nice cayin n3. Cayin is a serous Chinese audio factory, and this is demonstrated by the support that we have in this group. The only problem is that, having its headquarters in China, a warranty service is almost impossible.

When we sell the products through a distributor/dealer system, we supplied the products at certain profit margin that expect the distributor/dealer to take care of the warranty and after sales service.We would like to coexist with the current distributor/dealer system and provide better after sales service to our customers.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 12, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #213 of 376
My unit behaves much better with the latest firmware. I had one longer pause right after the firmware upgrade, but nothing really out of place since.

I saw a post by Cayin Support at one point that noted that the unit really is most reliable when doing one thing at a time. I would say from experience that this is correct. For example, I tend to jam up the works when I try to change songs while it is still playing another song. If I hit stop first, everything seems to go more smoothly.

Glad to hear that good news! Yes, doing one thing at a time is indeed a reliable choice and will make sure everything run more smoothly.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 3, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #214 of 376
Sorry to hear your experience. Right now, we don't have a plan to add tester regarding freezing problem. But I will record your name and recommend you to AndyKong if we need to add tester one day. Sorry again the trouble caused!

I ended up getting a replacement unit under warranty and after approx 1 week of use not a single issue so far!

I am using 2 x 256gb micro sd and not yet game to try 400gb but now a happy camper.

One thing I noticed on the replacement unit is bevelled edges which looks great. I am certain my previous unit did not have this?

Jul 3, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #215 of 376
I ended up getting a replacement unit under warranty and after approx 1 week of use not a single issue so far!

I am using 2 x 256gb micro sd and not yet game to try 400gb but now a happy camper.

One thing I noticed on the replacement unit is bevelled edges which looks great. I am certain my previous unit did not have this?
Bevelled edges?

Jul 3, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #217 of 376
The front outer edges are chamfered
I think it's supposed to be like that, mine has them. A picture would be nice though, just to confirm.

Jul 3, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #218 of 376
I think it's supposed to be like that, mine has them. A picture would be nice though, just to confirm.

Here is a picture I found of my old unit and then the replacement - may be the angle and my faulty memory... either way very glad to have a working device again!

DSC_0101 (002).JPG

DSC_0411 (002).JPG

Jul 3, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #219 of 376
Here is a picture I found of my old unit and then the replacement - may be the angle and my faulty memory... either way very glad to have a working device again!

Could be the angle but it does look like the first one was not beveled. Weird. Looks better with the beveled edges imo, but most importantly it works flawlessly :D

Jul 6, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #221 of 376
The screws inside N5ii are all installed with torque screwdrivers and we have very specific guideline on the setting of torque screwdriver when used with different product/model. We need to make sure the components (including PCB and battery mounting) will be fixed securely without affect the maintainability of the device such as stripped thread or broken component mounting due to excessive pressure. Unless these screws are loosed (which will be considered as faulty unit), we do not recommend user to tighten the screws with additional force, let alone replace the our screws with "stronger" screws.

The random pause bug is all about "interrupt". So far we are handling this bug from software optimization perspective: eliminating unintended process interference and interrupt from Android system. I can't say we solved the bug 100% already but we have achieved very good progress so far. Based on the log file we received from our beta tester, we have trace a lot of "triggers" of interrupt and rectify those specific instance promptly. From what we observed (yes, we have reviewed log file submitted after v3.3en), the remaining instance are completely random and cannot be replicated even through system stimulation. Theoretically these type of interference can be triggered by electronic signal during digital audio processing (analogue processing will cause distortion, not interrupt) but so far we haven't identified any of these systematically. In other word, if there are indeed hardware based interrupt, this is unlikely a design issue but hardware issues that escaped our QA process or surfaced after extensive use (hence cannot be detected during QA process before leaving our factory).

Relating installation screws and the pressure applied to tighten the screws to the random pause bug is beyond our technical comprehension.

I resolve the problem useing better screws but it was difficult to set the right pressure inside. Now the pleyer workes fine.

Jul 6, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #222 of 376
I resolve the problem useing better screws but it was difficult to set the right pressure inside. Now the pleyer workes fine.
That's interesting. These bugs should be software and not hardware.

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #224 of 376
I have some little requests for the SW developers:
-The sw is all ok, but the absence of the possibility to add songs in queue is a very big lack :frowning2:
For a DAP I think that this one is really an important feature, so if it's possible, PLEASE add this feature in the next FW version, it will definitely make this DAP a more complete product :)
-Also, I've noticed that the android app "hiby music" is no more available, it's only a my problem? Anyway, hiby have released hibyLink througt local wifi (using a sort of client-host system), it is possible to add this feature in our DAP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back