Cayin N5ii Technical Support thread
Jun 5, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #196 of 376
Big disappointment here, my N5ii balanced gone wrong 2d time, i already exchanged one, now one chanel working only and if i press on the connector it changes tracks.
There's other issues like the screen blue color known bug, but this time i know there's something def not right with both 3.5 and 2.5, especially the 2.5 is so fragile..just to clarify there's been no physical accident, i got volume problems changing between the 2 inputs before a few times like loud vol suddenly,
Also serious button issues.
Now, i think despite these problems, the dap is worth it and i am gonna persist one last time, if it happens again i am moving on and my money will go to a company with solid reputation for build quality

Really sorry for your experience! I would give your feedback to our engineer again! Thank you very much for giving N5ii a send chance!

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 5, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #197 of 376
Unfortunately the random pause bug has hit me again. At times it pauses momentarily, at other times reverts back to home screen and stops playing.

@CayinSupport - as previously mentioned, I am happy to be involved in further trouble-shooting/beta tests to help in further root cause analysis.

For now I will place the unit in a drawer

Sorry to hear your experience. Right now, we don't have a plan to add tester regarding freezing problem. But I will record your name and recommend you to AndyKong if we need to add tester one day. Sorry again the trouble caused!

Jun 7, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #199 of 376
I'm worried about sourcing that particular battery in a few years. The connector looks very unique on it, so I doubt I'll be able to find one when it comes time to replace it. I may have to return this player before I completely fall in love with it. I don't want to be stuck with a gorgeous brick in 5 years time, and shipping it all the way to China and back is not something I want to deal with. I really wish it had a normal li poly battery with standard positive and negative wires. These are simple to replace with generic batteries, as I've done it once before with my Rocoo P.

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #200 of 376
I'm worried about sourcing that particular battery in a few years. The connector looks very unique on it, so I doubt I'll be able to find one when it comes time to replace it. I may have to return this player before I completely fall in love with it. I don't want to be stuck with a gorgeous brick in 5 years time, and shipping it all the way to China and back is not something I want to deal with. I really wish it had a normal li poly battery with standard positive and negative wires. These are simple to replace with generic batteries, as I've done it once before with my Rocoo P.

The N5ii battery is a custom make Lithium battery, you can only buy them from Cayin. I have no idea where you are located buy sending a N5ii from US to Hong Kong or China will cost you around US$25.

I seriously doubt if there is any current Hi-Res DAPs are designed with generic battery that you can buy from standard hardware store. iBasso DX50/DX90 are the only example that comes to my mind, it is designed to use Samsung Galaxy S3 battery. Alternatively you can go for Chord Hugo2, it uses 18650 battery so you should be able to get replacement battery fairly easily.

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #201 of 376
The N5ii battery is a custom make Lithium battery, you can only buy them from Cayin. I have no idea where you are located buy sending a N5ii from US to Hong Kong or China will cost you around US$25.

I seriously doubt if there is any current Hi-Res DAPs are designed with generic battery that you can buy from standard hardware store. iBasso DX50/DX90 are the only example that comes to my mind, it is designed to use Samsung Galaxy S3 battery. Alternatively you can go for Chord Hugo2, it uses 18650 battery so you should be able to get replacement battery fairly easily.
Thanks

No, certainly not from a hardware store such as an 18650. I can get various shapes and capacities of li poly packs online from ebay, etc. The Cayin i5 has regular battery wires, The Fiio X3ii does, and the Xduoo X3 does as well. Not traditionally "user replaceable" but with a soldering iron it's not a problem.

Jun 10, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #202 of 376
Is this a personal opinion or a proven fact? I suspect the issue is software.
I opened the player.It seems to be a problem with a presure involved on main board. Shaking has influence on player work and turning. It is very difficult to stabile parts inside corectly. I used better screws for better stabilization. I still have some times problems with pause button and recovery menu.But when i shake the player it starts working. I am completly sure that is a hardwere problem and cayin should admit that they sold units with hardwere bugs

Jun 11, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #203 of 376
I opened the player.It seems to be a problem with a presure involved on main board. Shaking has influence on player work and turning. It is very difficult to stabile parts inside corectly. I used better screws for better stabilization. I still have some times problems with pause button and recovery menu.But when i shake the player it starts working. I am completly sure that is a hardwere problem and cayin should admit that they sold units with hardwere bugs

The screws inside N5ii are all installed with torque screwdrivers and we have very specific guideline on the setting of torque screwdriver when used with different product/model. We need to make sure the components (including PCB and battery mounting) will be fixed securely without affect the maintainability of the device such as stripped thread or broken component mounting due to excessive pressure. Unless these screws are loosed (which will be considered as faulty unit), we do not recommend user to tighten the screws with additional force, let alone replace the our screws with "stronger" screws.

The random pause bug is all about "interrupt". So far we are handling this bug from software optimization perspective: eliminating unintended process interference and interrupt from Android system. I can't say we solved the bug 100% already but we have achieved very good progress so far. Based on the log file we received from our beta tester, we have trace a lot of "triggers" of interrupt and rectify those specific instance promptly. From what we observed (yes, we have reviewed log file submitted after v3.3en), the remaining instance are completely random and cannot be replicated even through system stimulation. Theoretically these type of interference can be triggered by electronic signal during digital audio processing (analogue processing will cause distortion, not interrupt) but so far we haven't identified any of these systematically. In other word, if there are indeed hardware based interrupt, this is unlikely a design issue but hardware issues that escaped our QA process or surfaced after extensive use (hence cannot be detected during QA process before leaving our factory).

Relating installation screws and the pressure applied to tighten the screws to the random pause bug is beyond our technical comprehension.

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #204 of 376
Thanks

No, certainly not from a hardware store such as an 18650. I can get various shapes and capacities of li poly packs online from ebay, etc. The Cayin i5 has regular battery wires, The Fiio X3ii does, and the Xduoo X3 does as well. Not traditionally "user replaceable" but with a soldering iron it's not a problem.

The connector is off-the-shelf item, we use that connector because we want to simply the battery changing process, you can just plug a replacement battery into your N5ii without using soldering iron.

On the other hand, if you have no problem in soldering work, you should be able to solder two wires from from any compatible battery to the connector of the old battery and plug it into the DAP.

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #207 of 376
I love this answer. Thank you. Is there a thermistor connection along with the positive and negative ones, or just positive and negative leads from the battery?

Sorry, can't tell out of memory, I need to open the N5ii and check again before I can confirm the connection detail.

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #208 of 376

I gonna get a Cayin n5-2,but this post and thread seriously make me worried.

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #209 of 376
N5ii internals
Credits to @Matteomar95

Doesn't look like lousy jacks to me
Everything is nicely shielded except for the realtek WiFi and bluetooth chip

Back of the PCB
Very clean imo

Just the screen, volume wheel and a mysterious chip left

Wonder what the chip above the battery is. Maybe to control battery charging or stabilise voltage output?

Jun 12, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #210 of 376
I think that this player is really well builded and Its price/features ratio is really amazing. Episodes like the ones in this group are isolated. In my opinion nothing to worry about. I'm an happy possessor of the cayin n5ii, and before this dap I was using the really portable and nice cayin n3. Cayin is a serous Chinese audio factory, and this is demonstrated by the support that we have in this group. The only problem is that, having its headquarters in China, a warranty service is almost impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back