Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Apr 5, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #2,041 of 4,108
Andromeda isn't the best choice if you are treble sensitive. It will limit your options to just a small handful of DAPs.

I wouldn't say I'm treble sensitive, on the contrary, I like them to be crisp and sparkling. I listened Andromeda with other DAPs like KANN, DX200, SP1000 and X5-3 and it was absolutely perfect (especially the former three) in the treble department, but here treble feels a bit exaggerated. Perhaps Andromeda is too good for N5II and reveals every bottleneck in its sound.

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #2,042 of 4,108
Tried out the Sony NW-WM1A. Can't say it is an upgrade. Just different tonality from the N5ii.

The N5ii more neutral sounding, the 1A has a boosted mid bass and boosted lower treble, v-ish-shaped. This led to some very interesting comparisons.

In less complex or bassy songs, the 1A sounds better than the N5ii. It sounds more articulate and sparkly. Soundstage is noticeably deeper though a bit less wide. The 1A has a thicker sound than the N5ii but it's more detailed too.

However, on more complex songs, the 1A gets congested quickly, everything is too in your face and the soundstage shrinks. Instrument separation falls waaay behind the N5ii now, some instruments are too mixed up. Instruments lose their airs and just blunder into one another. The mids stay clear but the other instruments are all mixed up. The thicker sound gets in the way. On bass heavier songs, the enhanced mid bass can really muddy up the sound and make things less clear.

Personally I listen to a lot of complicated movie soundtracks so the N5ii still fits my taste better.

The Sony is significantly bulkier than the N5ii. UI navigation is also slower on the Sony. It takes a second to load the folders and files in folder browser mode.
IMG_20180405_175159.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #2,043 of 4,108
I wouldn't say I'm treble sensitive, on the contrary, I like them to be crisp and sparkling. I listened Andromeda with other DAPs like KANN, DX200, SP1000 and X5-3 and it was absolutely perfect (especially the former three) in the treble department, but here treble feels a bit exaggerated. Perhaps Andromeda is too good for N5II and reveals every bottleneck in its sound.
I think you are referring to the sharpness of the N5ii's high treble. The very top end of the N5ii may sound sharp with some songs. Some last bits of the ess9018k2m glare I guess.

I found the X5iii dull sounding though. It didn't have the right PRaT. Attacks feel lazy and slower.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #2,044 of 4,108

I own the DX200 also, and it has more/brighter treble than the N5ii.

Perhaps you did not test the same tracks.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, the N5ii is not an unusually trebly DAP, and you maybe better suited to a smoother monitor. Because Andro is always reported as being sharp up top, that is well known.

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #2,047 of 4,108
I found the X5iii dull sounding though. It didn't have the right PRaT. Attacks feel lazy and slower.
Totally agree, X5III is a much duller sounding DAP, I only meant it didn't have those sticking out trebles. NP5II is really impressive, with detailed, punchy, wide almost 3D sound. But, unfortunately, I just send it back to the seller. I could tolerate sharp trebles, but I couldn't stand those constant problems, and wasn't happy about those shaman dancing one had to perform in order to make the DAP do basic things without problems. I actually tried all those recovery wipes, and after that the DAP worked fine during the whole day (although I didn't activate Google and install 3-rd party apps this time), but again I had those tiny interruptions in the DAC mode (not actual pauses, although it does pauses in the DAC mode too, the DAP just skips a few milliseconds during playback). So I decided I don't wan't to deal with Cayin's negligence any more. Also don't really understand advocates for Cayin: give them a break, give them time. Every day we get shorter of breath and one day closer to death, so what time? They should have given proper testing to their device before starting sales. They released several updates already, and still those crucial bugs have not been fixed. Who knows, perhaps they can't be fixed at all. When one buys a TV and its screen turns off every 15 minute, and the support says "give us time we are working on the problem, and please report other bugs should you encounter any, yes we promised an update, but it won't be coming out as promised sorry", one just takes the TV back to where it was bought.

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #2,048 of 4,108
Totally agree, X5III is a much duller sounding DAP, I only meant it didn't have those sticking out trebles. NP5II is really impressive, with detailed, punchy, wide almost 3D sound. But, unfortunately, I just send it back to the seller. I could tolerate sharp trebles, but I couldn't stand those constant problems, and wasn't happy about those shaman dancing one had to perform in order to make the DAP do basic things without problems. I actually tried all those recovery wipes, and after that the DAP worked fine during the whole day (although I didn't activate Google and install 3-rd party apps this time), but again I had those tiny interruptions in the DAC mode (not actual pauses, although it does pauses in the DAC mode too, the DAP just skips a few milliseconds during playback). So I decided I don't wan't to deal with Cayin's negligence any more. Also don't really understand advocates for Cayin: give them a break, give them time. Every day we get shorter of breath and one day closer to death, so what time? They should have given proper testing to their device before starting sales. They released several updates already, and still those crucial bugs have not been fixed. Who knows, perhaps they can't be fixed at all. When one buys a TV and its screen turns off every 15 minute, and the support says "give us time we are working on the problem, and please report other bugs should you encounter any, yes we promised an update, but it won't be coming out as promised sorry", one just takes the TV back to where it was bought.
Tried out the X7ii just now, I'd get that one. Sounds like a refined N5ii given an upgrade in every aspect except for bass texture.

I would have gotten a DX200 if it had 2 card slots though. Besides, the DX200 is overpriced here. About 1215 dollars after conversion.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #2,049 of 4,108
I own the DX200 also, and it has more/brighter treble than the N5ii.

Perhaps you did not test the same tracks.

I don't know, but I didn't feel it was as trebly with Andromeda when I tested it, whereas N5II's treble have hit me right away. It's all so subjective, perhaps I should have given it a longer testing before jumping to any conclusions.

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #2,050 of 4,108
Tried out the X7ii just now, I'd get that one. I would have gotten a DX200 if it had 2 card slots though. Besides, the DX200 is overpriced here. About 1215 dollars after conversion.
Yeah in Russia these two are also so pricey. I'll probably try the X7 next, some reviewers say it's superior in SQ to the N5II. Just found a very nice deal locally. Not buying anything higher end right now as I'm trying to save for an SP1000. Where are you from, if it's not a secret?

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #2,051 of 4,108
Yeah in Russia these two are also so pricey. I'll probably try the X7 next, some reviewers say it's superior in SQ to the N5II. Just found a very nice deal locally. Not buying anything higher end right now as I'm trying to save for an SP1000. Where are you from, if it's not a secret?
I'd say it's a nice upgrade going from the N5ii to the X7ii. Not very significant but its noticeably better. The Sp1000 is on a whole other level. I was going to try out the DX200 too today but unfortunately the store sold their unit.

How did you find the Sp1000 sonically speaking? I would say that although it's a big step up, it doesn't justify its asking price.

As for where I'm from, I'll just say Asia and leave it at that :wink:

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #2,052 of 4,108

This, for whatever reason DAP manufacturers get a heck of a lot more leeway than other manufacturers when it comes to half baked products. I've bought and sold a fair few DAPs and I always go back to my phone only because they all run so badly and have so many bugs. N5 II so far is not soooo bad but it is not great either. WiFi is painfully slow, Still can't make it store Apple Music downloads on the external SD card, it does crash every so often and there are a couple issues with volume control... but that pales in comparison with other daps i had so keeping it for now.

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #2,053 of 4,108
How did you find the Sp1000 sonically speaking? I would say that although it's a big step up, it doesn't justify its asking price.
As you said - it's another level or another world. Its sound was very open and wide, with awesome instrument separation, and perfect treble (not grainy, not sticking out, not muted, just perfectly crisp and sparkly). I tested it with Symphony X and they have very thick sound, and I was always not very happy about how their music was reproduced by my other devices. But with SP1000 it sounded great, very transparent and clear.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #2,054 of 4,108
N5 II so far is not soooo bad but it is not great either. WiFi is painfully slow, Still can't make it store Apple Music downloads on the external SD card, it does crash every so often and there are a couple issues with volume control... but that pales in comparison with other daps i had so keeping it for now.
Well, when I had X5III I thought it was buggy, but it could at least play back smoothly. N5II fails big time in that. N5II picture, actually, could be put into an encyclopedia next to an article defining Buggy Device :grinning: If you want interruption-free payback you should do several wipes, turn off everything, turn on audio priority and on you go. But if I want streaming and scrobbling I have to pay for this comfort with the discomfort of jerky playback. And the manufacturer then says "Sorry no promised update is coming any time soon".

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #2,055 of 4,108
This, for whatever reason DAP manufacturers get a heck of a lot more leeway than other manufacturers when it comes to half baked products. I've bought and sold a fair few DAPs and I always go back to my phone only because they all run so badly and have so many bugs. N5 II so far is not soooo bad but it is not great either. WiFi is painfully slow, Still can't make it store Apple Music downloads on the external SD card, it does crash every so often and there are a couple issues with volume control... but that pales in comparison with other daps i had so keeping it for now.
That I can definitely agree with. The Wifi is slow.

I think they get a lot more leeway because people are just mainly want great sound (and often for as little money as possible). Xduoo is absolutely terrible in terms of product support but their DAPs sounds darn good for the price. That's why they are still churning out DAPs.

People will happily live with DAPs with poor software as long as it sounds good. (Shozy alien, tera player, walnut player)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back