Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 25, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #541 of 4,108
Tried multiple iems and headfones on the 3.5mm socket still the channel imbalance is there.. Tried putting the socket tightly but no use to 5 iems and 2 headphones... Maybe my 3.5mm socket has a problem.. Ill go to the store tomorrow where I bought this.. Left is dominant so I need to put the right setting to R6 to put it in the centre.. Is this normal?

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #542 of 4,108
Tried multiple iems and headfones on the 3.5mm socket still the channel imbalance is there.. Tried putting the socket tightly but no use to 5 iems and 2 headphones... Maybe my 3.5mm socket has a problem.. Ill go to the store tomorrow where I bought this.. Left is dominant so I need to put the right setting to R6 to put it in the centre.. Is this normal?

Definitely go back to the store to check with another N5ii.

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #543 of 4,108
For burning in headphones, playing pink noise on a continuous loop is best. But for burning in DAP, playing anything will do. Just turn it onto High Gain, and use the balanced port. That way you're activating all the amp chips.

I can understand you preferring the Mojo. A standalone DAC, even a portable one, is almost always going to be better than a music player. And Chord makes some of the best DACs on earth. Even a top of the line DAP isn't likely to beat it.

DAPs are about sacrifice. Even when you spend upwards of $1,000, you are sacrificing a certain amount of audio quality for portability. That's just the physics of our reality. Look at the size of the Mojo, and then realize, that's not a music player. All it is is the DAC part. How much bigger would it be if you incorporated a CPU and its accompanied circuitry, storage capacity, display, all the required components to support the Android OS, etc... Well, how much bigger is it when you attach a smartphone to it?

The Cayin N5II is not meant to compete with a standalone DAC of Mojo's caliber. It's simply a really awesome alternative to stacking. If you want to get close to Mojo's quality (and I've not heard Mojo, so don't take this as absolute truth) you will need to invest in something far more expensive, like the Opus#2. Of course, that's even more an Mojo. But again, you are paying for quality shrunk down in size. A sacrifice to do away with the hassle of stacking.

Such is life. :D

Well, just so happened that N5ii requires a slightly different method to burn-in. Take a look at the following block diagram:

N5ii Functional Framework.jpg

Please note that the 2.5mm headphone output uses two OPA1622, but the 3.5mm headphone output use a different piece of OPA1622, so burn in the balanced port does not activat all the amp chips. With N5ii, you need to burn in 2.5mm and 3.5mm separately.

The Mojo actually has a playback option: the Polly. Mojo + Polly + mobile phone remote control can playback TF card content on-the-go. It is big, but if you put them inside a back pack 99% of the time, then size isn't necessary the biggest concern.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 25, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #544 of 4,108
Well, just so happened that N5ii requires a slightly different method to burn-in. Take a look at the following block diagram:

Please note that the 2.5mm headphone output uses two OPA1622, but the 3.5mm headphone output use a different piece of OPA1622, so burn in the balanced port does not activat all the amp chips. With N5ii, you need to burn in 2.5mm and 3.5mm separately.

The Mojo actually has a playback option: the Polly. Mojo + Polly + mobile phone remote control can playback TF card content on-the-go. It is big, but if you put them inside a back pack 99% of the time, then size isn't necessary the biggest concern.

That's weird, man. Why use three 1622 chips when two would give you the same result?

Dec 25, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #545 of 4,108
Hi, you could go to Music scan->Scan all to scan the music again. If still no dice, please follow steps below:
1.Go to pull up menu->settings->Factory data reset to reset your device then power off it.
2.Hold on the previous key of right side panel and then press Power On/Off button until the player go into recovery operation screen.
3. Select "wipe data/factory reset->Yes, delete all user data" then press power button to confirm.

4. Select wipe cache partition and press power button to confirm.

5.N5i will automatically go back into recovery operation screen, select “reboot system now” and press power button to reboot into regular operation.

Thank you! I never did a scan because the music appeared on its own. After I did a scan, the duplicate entries corrected themselves. I appreciate the support!

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #546 of 4,108
That's weird, man. Why use three 1622 chips when two would give you the same result?

Its all about optimization. If we were to use two OPA1622 only, the single end will use the L+ and R+ signal as the signle-end output, as a result, we have to use all the circuit design for balanced driven "as-is" for single-ended.

When we use three OPA1622 instead of three, we can design an independent circuit (including power supply, bias setting and grounding) to facilitate single ended headphone, and it definitely sound better then using part of balanced circuit as the base of single end. That's why we claim that N5ii offers best of both world in our web site, even the 3.5mm output is not compromised,

N5ii Best of both world.JPG

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #547 of 4,108
Fantastic! Thanks. Pinky supports that decision! :D

Dec 25, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #549 of 4,108
Announcement of Cayin N5ii Firmware v2.1EN

http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13527

The holidays are here again, and we want to express our sincere appreciation for your confidence and loyalty. We hereby offer our first major firmware update to Cayin N5ii DAP. We aren’t perfect, but we are getting there, and we are thank you for travelling the journey of sound with us

With Cayin, your music will never be the same again

N5ii v2.1EN Firmware Header.jpg

New Functions and System Optimization
  1. Add new feature to stop the native music player and all Third Party Applications by holding the Play/Pause button on the right side panel. The player will go back to Main Menu after terminated all applications.
  2. Add new feature to enable selection of DoP or D2P in DSD output. The selection is effective for both S/PDIF and DSD Audio output.
  3. Optimize power management to extend the duration of battery operation: single-ended phone out 12 hours, balanced phone out 9.5 hours (Audio Priority mode, screen off, minimal operation and single music format)
  4. Enhance system operation by removing unnecessary task and applications from customized Android system.
  5. Enhance displayed music file sampling information on playback screen
  6. Enhance and modify selected User Interface
  7. Modify output setting of balanced phone out, enable user to select Audio Priority Mode manually.
  8. Modify the identification of Bit rate and Sampling frequency of music files (effective after music scan)
  9. Modify default maximum volume setting to 100
  10. Bug fix: random pause/suspend during playback (most likely happened in 2.5mm headphone output)
  11. Bug fix: volume turned up to maximum under specific operation sequence
  12. Bug fix: wrong sequencing of playlist
  13. Bug fix: random pause/suspend when insert single-ended headphone to the player
  14. Bug fix: missing file when enable “Filter non-music files and folder” in Music Scan setting.
  15. Remove icon on right side of Artist page
  16. Other Optimizations

Firmware Upgrade Reminders

The new firmware can be acquired through OTA or manual download, the content of these firmware are identical, you can select whichever upgrade option that fit your needs. Detail upgrade procedure has been provided in our website, please follow the link at the top of this post to complete the upgrade process.

The OTA download time might vary from 30 minutes to several hours, depends on the number of concurrent upgrade users on the server. To improve our server efficiency, OTA will start 1 day later, and we’ll phase in the upgrade service by pushing the upgrade notification to selected N5ii units based on the last digit of the serial number over a course of 5 to 10 days. If you didn’t receive upgrade notification after we announced the new firmware, please wait patiently or opt for manual upgrade instead.

Please be reminded that N5ii firmware are not reversible, once upgraded, you are not allowed to roll back to a previous version. Although Cayin does not adopt a practice to adjust the sound signature of our product through firmware modification, we cannot guarantee that new firmware will not change the sound of the DAP. Some of the system optimizations, especially when related to power management, will affect the sound inevitable. If you are in doubt, please do not upgrade until you have checked out impression of the new firmware from other users in the forum.

Attention:
  1. Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
  2. Please delete/remove the firmware file from the internal storage/TF card after firmware upgrade
  3. Please perform a complete Music Scan after firmware upgrade.
  4. If you are using TF card to upgrade N5ii firmware, please make sure you only insert the TF card with firmware package into the DAP. Inserting two TF cards into the DAP during firmware upgrade might cause system failure because the system might not be able to identify the firmware package correctly.
  5. If you feel the DAP is not performing satisfactory after firmware upgrade, please wipe cache partition (in recovery mode) and restart the system.
  6. If the system freeze or cannot resume to regular operation after firmware upgrade, you can turn off the device by holding the Power on/off key for 12 seconds. The system will shut down in regardless of operation status. If problem persist, you can perform a Factory Reset (under Setting menu) or Wipe data/factory reset (in recovery mode) to resume the system.

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #551 of 4,108
Yeah, I know how it feels. Mojo sets the bar very high in terms of sound. Mojo is a tamer and it won't let the sound hurts you, be it boomy bass or piercing highs. I find the n5ii’s tonality to be a little bit agressive out of the box but I’ll let it burn in and see if the magic happens. This is also the first time I try a balanced output. (With mezze 99 classics) So far, energetic but underwhelming.

Hi,
What balanced cable do you use with meze 99c? Meze is selling balanced cables but they are 200$!!
Thanks

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #552 of 4,108
Bugger. Held off ordering one all week on the hope of xmas deals coming up. Amp3 in the uk have a code for 15% (boxing15) off all items except clearence, and it goes out of stock! Typical.

Dec 26, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #553 of 4,108
Bugger. Held off ordering one all week on the hope of xmas deals coming up. Amp3 in the uk have a code for 15% (boxing15) off all items except clearence, and it goes out of stock! Typical.
You can use the code even for out of stock items they will honour it when they ship it to you (assuming that’s what you were worried about)

Dec 26, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #554 of 4,108
You can use the code even for out of stock items they will honour it when they ship it to you (assuming that’s what you were worried about)

Oh I know that, it's just amazon have spoiled us in the instant delivery :) New toy syndrome and all that :)

Dec 26, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #555 of 4,108
I like no.1 and 7. For no.10, now i know it a bug. It happened to my old N5ii about 3 times in 2 days. I thought i did something wrong.
Hope i can get my replacement this week to try out the new fw.

You missed the very important item (4), that is the most costly item in this list, system optimization is not eye candy, but it is the bread and butter. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back