Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jul 30, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #3,886 of 4,108
https://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13581

Announcement of Cayin N5ii Firmware v3.9en

New Functions and System Optimization

1. Solved delay after user pressed the play/pause button during music playback.

2. Reset USB Audio Out to the default configuration (noise may occur when playing PCM and DSD files).

*The main purpose for v3.9en firmware is to solve the delay after user pressed the play/pause button during music playback. However, if the user unplugs and plugs the earphone after started up the device, the delay (play/pause button and prev/next song buttons during playback) would remain. Due to hardware and system limitation, v3.9en firmware will reduce the performance and compatibility of USB Audio Output.

We advise users to choose this update based on their needs.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #3,887 of 4,108
Announcement of Cayin Universal V4.47.0 USB Audio Driver (For Windows 7 and above)

Introduction

Using DAP or DAC as an external sound card to enhance the performance of your computer facility is one of the common practice among CAS users, the process is fairly straight forward if you are using Linux or OS X based computer systems because these devices support USB Audio Class 2.0 natively. Unfortunately, a majority of Window-based system will require a device driver to fully explore the potential of Hi-Res audio. Depends on the system they are using, the driver installation process can be more tedious than expected, especially after Microsoft implemented the Driver Signature Enforcement practice.

74oo1ZI.jpg

As user experience becomes an indispensable part of a modern sound system, Cayin has taken the need of our customers seriously and developed a proprietary USB Driver for all Cayin USB-based products.

KneT9TG.jpg

A new experience at your fingertips

The advantages of Cayin Universal USB Audio Driver are:
  1. The device driver can install like any regular application, there is no need to connect the audio equipment to the computer facility in advance (with exception of Windows XP system).
  2. Once installed, Cayin USB-based products that supported by the same USB Audio Driver will become a plug-and-play device with your Window-based facility, there is no need to switch to another driver when you change your Cayin equipment.
  3. The driver is designed to explore the full potential of your Cayin USB-based audio equipment.

Please visit Cayin Official Website to download the v4.47 driver and detail installation procedures.

https://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13567

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 31, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #3,888 of 4,108
Announcement of Cayin N5ii Firmware v3.9EN

https://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13581

2. Reset USB Audio Out to the default configuration (noise may occur when playing PCM and DSD files).
*The main purpose for v3.9en firmware is to solve the delay after user pressed the play/pause button during music playback. However, if you unplugs and then plugs the earphone into the DAP after started up, the delay (play/pause button and prev/next song buttons during playback) would remain. If you plug in your earphone before starting up your DAP, or plug in your earphone after starting up, you won't experience the 2sec delay as long as the earphone remain plugged in.

Due to hardware and system limitation, v3.9en firmware will downgrade the performance and compatibility of USB Audio Output. Please be advice this problem and decided if you want to upgrade your N5ii firmware. For this reason, this firmware will not be available through OTA.

If you are familiar with the manual firmware upgrade procedure, you can download the firmware package HERE or HERE. Otherwise please refer to our firmware announcement page as stated above for detail instruction.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #3,889 of 4,108
Announcement of Cayin N5iiS Firmware v1.7EN

https://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13582

*The main purpose for v1.7en firmware is to solve the delay after user pressed the play/pause button during music playback. However, if you unplugs and then plugs the earphone into the DAP after started up, the delay (play/pause button and prev/next song buttons during playback) would remain. If you plug in your earphone before starting up your DAP, or plug in your earphone after starting up, you won't experience the 2sec delay as long as the earphone remain plugged in.

Due to hardware and system limitation, v1.7en firmware will downgrade the performance and compatibility of USB Audio Output. Please be advice this problem and decided if you want to upgrade your N5iiS firmware. For this reason, this firmware will not be available through OTA.

If you are familiar with the manual firmware upgrade procedure, you can download the firmware package HERE or HERE. Otherwise please refer to our firmware announcement page as stated above for detail instruction.

Jul 31, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #3,891 of 4,108
I'll try to elaborate these updates.

The v4.47 USB Driver was mainly developed to support new products such as N6ii DAP and iDAC-6MK2 Desktop DAC, but we have included some enhancement for N5ii/N5iiS users. With the new USB Audio Driver, N5ii/N5iiS USB Audio will support 352.8kHz and 384kHz, and the WASAPI support has also enhanced because "interrupting stream inside WASAPI render loop no longer requires stream stop/start" (don't ask me, I copy and paste, I don't understand the technical aspect of WASAPI)

As of the N5ii and N5iiS firmware update, I have pull the trigger and "go for the bug fix on 2 sec delay and give up the USB Audio Out feature" on 10 July, once the decision is make, the process become straight forward because the 2s delay is a new bug after we enable USB Audio Out, it mainly related to the way we handle internal memory buffer of the RK CPU. we spend a lot of resource trying to solve the 2sec delay without scarfied the USB Audio Out, but we failed. I now understand this was a wrong decision, I should have given up the USB Audio erarily on and solved the playback bug first, and then start the USB Audio Out development from scratch again. I learned from this lesson and apology for causing a lot of inconvenience to our customer on this issue.

Lastly and most unfortunately, we can't resolve the Google Play service problem. We have developed a fixed on similar problem for N6ii, but when we apply the fix to N5ii/N5iiS, it doesn't work. We can only assume that the different between Android 8.1 and Android 5.1 has complicated the Google Play support. Maybe the latest changes in Google Play was optimized for latest Android OS, hence the older N5ii/N5iiS can't stay in the game after Google updated their service. Right now, we can only hope that Google will update the Google Play service again and rectified the problem.

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #3,893 of 4,108
Oooooooooh man, THANKS A MILLION for fixing this @CayinSupport @Andykong :pray::ok_hand:

I just installed the update and my unit seems like being back from repair ! It's so much of a pleasure to finally have a responsive device re this play/pause function !!!

I want to add that for having the firmware update to work correctly, i had to copy the zip file on the root of the internal memory as it couldn't see it when i tried from TF card. And no matter which slot i used, i have 2 400Gb SD cards, i tried with both, copying the zip file on the root, with no go (respecting the suggested process of upgrading with only 1 card in the N5ii).

Anyway, it finally worked by upgrading from the internal memory, but i just wanted to let people know.

Now while i'm here, i also want to mention that i was recently offered a Bose Quiet Comfort 35 ii headphone and that the Bluetooth is unfortunately quite unusable with my N5iiS and this headphone. As soon as the N5iiS is more than i'd say 20 centimeters (+/- 8 inch) from the headphone, i have constant cuts :frowning2:

I know that one could say that N5ii is HD player which deserve wired connexion, and i don't want to argue about this again, but it's just such a pain that BT connexion is so randomly effective with N5iiS. Even if most of my usage is wired, i like the idea of being able to switch to BT when i want to. Now i don't want to specifically blame Cayin about this because on the other hand, i have a Tribit MaxBoom speaker where the BT is quite good. It's still sometimes buggy but i have tested that i can have like 3 or 4 meters distance between the 2 sets (even if i let them much close together most of the time).

So of course, there might also be some issues with the Bose Bluetooth, or more specifically, with the Bose BT and the N5ii together (note that the Bose BT works way better with eg my phone or tablet).

I might report this issue to Bose just to see, but if anybody had the same issue or have some clues about this, feel free to let me know :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #3,894 of 4,108
I've tried N5iis in audio shop. I have to say i love the sound, much more detail and emotional than my A55. It felt good in hand and beautiful also. But N5iis was suddenly raised up the volume (from 40 to 7x). Does Cayin fix this yet?

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #3,896 of 4,108
Aug 2, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #3,897 of 4,108
I found this guy has the same problem as me

The guy says he had to "frantically trying to dial it back down" regarding the volume wheel i suppose...

So my guess is he didn't know during his tests that you can actually adjust the volume way quicker by directly scrolling on the screen up or down for adjusting the volume as soon as you started adjusting it through the wheel and that the volume level appears in the middle of the screen. Besides, this will preserve the volume wheel by reducing it's use. So if you want to drastically & quickly adjust the volume, the wheel won't help as much as the touch screen.

Now this doesn't explain the issue of sudden volume up, but i have no idea of how it could occured...

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #3,898 of 4,108
I've tried N5iis in audio shop. I have to say i love the sound, much more detail and emotional than my A55. It felt good in hand and beautiful also. But N5iis was suddenly raised up the volume (from 40 to 7x). Does Cayin fix this yet?

Yes, there were a volume control bug in the early version firmware. The volume bug was a random issue, not everyone is having it, it just happened on some player under certain condition, we have corrected the problem already. Maybe the demo unit had not been updated its firmware for a long time, I guess update the firmware to latest version should solve the problem.

Last edited:

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #3,899 of 4,108
Oooooooooh man, THANKS A MILLION for fixing this @CayinSupport @Andykong :pray::ok_hand:

I just installed the update and my unit seems like being back from repair ! It's so much of a pleasure to finally have a responsive device re this play/pause function !!!

I want to add that for having the firmware update to work correctly, i had to copy the zip file on the root of the internal memory as it couldn't see it when i tried from TF card. And no matter which slot i used, i have 2 400Gb SD cards, i tried with both, copying the zip file on the root, with no go (respecting the suggested process of upgrading with only 1 card in the N5ii).

Anyway, it finally worked by upgrading from the internal memory, but i just wanted to let people know.

Now while i'm here, i also want to mention that i was recently offered a Bose Quiet Comfort 35 ii headphone and that the Bluetooth is unfortunately quite unusable with my N5iiS and this headphone. As soon as the N5iiS is more than i'd say 20 centimeters (+/- 8 inch) from the headphone, i have constant cuts :frowning2:

I know that one could say that N5ii is HD player which deserve wired connexion, and i don't want to argue about this again, but it's just such a pain that BT connexion is so randomly effective with N5iiS. Even if most of my usage is wired, i like the idea of being able to switch to BT when i want to. Now i don't want to specifically blame Cayin about this because on the other hand, i have a Tribit MaxBoom speaker where the BT is quite good. It's still sometimes buggy but i have tested that i can have like 3 or 4 meters distance between the 2 sets (even if i let them much close together most of the time).

So of course, there might also be some issues with the Bose Bluetooth, or more specifically, with the Bose BT and the N5ii together (note that the Bose BT works way better with eg my phone or tablet).

I might report this issue to Bose just to see, but if anybody had the same issue or have some clues about this, feel free to let me know :wink:

The Bose Quiet Comfort 35 is a noise cancellation headphone? Can you disable the noise cancellation feature of your headphone and try to connect again. Another possible source of interference is mobile phone in the middle of bluetooth path between N5iiS and yoru BT headphone, but this should appear as noise interference instead of affecting the connection reliability directly.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #3,900 of 4,108
The Bose Quiet Comfort 35 is a noise cancellation headphone? Can you disable the noise cancellation feature of your headphone and try to connect again

Yep, it has Noise Reduction feature, i've just been testing with disabling it as you suggested, but i still have constant cuts. I actually always have to put them quite stucked together and not move at all if i want an almost good connexion without cuts :/ Which means they are quite unusable together through BT.

Also i want to mention that the Bose Noise Reduction feature is very powerful and that it would be too bad to being forced to disable it for having it working correctly with N5iiS. But anyway, as i wrote, even when disabling it, it doesn't work any better.

Note that i've also disabled all possible other BT devices in my testing room, just to make sure, but it ddidn't help either. I have also tried playing with BT settings on my N5iiS, eg turning on/off the 'Use high-quality' setting and also disabling the use for 'Contact sharing' and 'Phone Audio' (leaving only the 'Media Audio' enabled), but none of this worked any better :frowning2:

It's really weird that these 2 units cannot seem to communicate together, thus why i would have like to hear from any other user in here which might also own these 2 sets... but maybe i 'm the rare one having these + being monitoring this thread... The more strange to me is that they both can operate with other BT devices separately, but not together. Which makes me thinking that it cannot be any of the BT on both devices being anyhow faulty, but of course i might be wrong and being missing something...

Thanks anyway for your help @Andykong

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back