Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Apr 8, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #3,691 of 4,108
Apr 8, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #3,692 of 4,108
As much as I like the sound of the N5II, I also am dismayed about the lack of support for this unit. Seems like Cayin has made it a habit to introduce a product then decide its a turkey and drop support. First the i5, then the N5II, then the N5IIS. All seemingly dead as doornails. If they wanted to make us brand ambassadors, the treatment of current customers would have to pick up quite a bit.

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #3,693 of 4,108
As much as I like the sound of the N5II, I also am dismayed about the lack of support for this unit. Seems like Cayin has made it a habit to introduce a product then decide its a turkey and drop support. First the i5, then the N5II, then the N5IIS. All seemingly dead as doornails. If they wanted to make us brand ambassadors, the treatment of current customers would have to pick up quite a bit.
Yeah, it's like we'd love to recommend them but it sorta leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

Kinda like Xduoo until XVortex ported Rockbox over to their devices.

Looks like Cayin is more concerned with promoting new products than with fixing pending issues on old ones. Still no news so far in here since several months re the annoying play/pause delay on N5II/N5IIs. That kinda sucks a bit if you're asking me :disappointed:
Yeah it's definitely annoying.

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #3,694 of 4,108
Worst thing in this communication from Cayin is that they are actually promoting their new product in a thread where many users are indeed waiting for this annoying play/pause delay fix on previous model since many months now.

Imagine a car manufacturer with problems of opening/closing door on the model you bought that would come at you saying "hey dear fellas, come and see our very cool new car that i personally already love and want sooooooo much :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:... Huh wait, what ??? you have problem with previous model you bought ? OK, sorry dudes but we already got your money and it's time for us to grab new customer's $$$ "

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #3,695 of 4,108
That's the point. Some guys here who are saying above "Oh, I'd buy another N5ii even if I loose it" seems just ignoring bad sides and satisfied with what they got. It's understandable, but all pro reviews sayin' "Mm, N5ii is cool! 8.5, 8.7, etc." You haven't even tried to use it for a while. Try to use it in a different way from what is your every-day way. Try to turn on bluetooth at least several times and see how it hangs the whole DAP, try to use it for a while and see what happens to side buttons/connectors. No, instead we'll defend what we spent money for and ignore the rest, including the support and never-existent fixes for damn obvious requests from customers. Yeah, I understand this crap box works good when u don't touch it, or use wired headphones while sitting in a car, or just push play button once/twice a day. But this is a damn mobile DAP that makes me sick when you're trying to do smth with it other than that, and seems nobody cares in Cayin.

Will never buy anything from this company in my life. Total disrespect in 21 tech century.

Apr 9, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #3,698 of 4,108
That's the point. Some guys here who are saying above "Oh, I'd buy another N5ii even if I loose it" seems just ignoring bad sides and satisfied with what they got. It's understandable, but all pro reviews sayin' "Mm, N5ii is cool! 8.5, 8.7, etc." You haven't even tried to use it for a while. Try to use it in a different way from what is your every-day way. Try to turn on bluetooth at least several times and see how it hangs the whole DAP, try to use it for a while and see what happens to side buttons/connectors. No, instead we'll defend what we spent money for and ignore the rest, including the support and never-existent fixes for damn obvious requests from customers. Yeah, I understand this **** box works good when u don't touch it, or use wired headphones while sitting in a car, or just push play button once/twice a day. But this is a damn mobile DAP that makes me sick when you're trying to do smth with it other than that, and seems nobody cares in Cayin.

Will never buy anything from this company in my life. Total disrespect in 21 tech century.
Pretty much. That's why I only read dap reviews to get a rough idea of the sound. Then, I search for ________ (dap name) issues/problems etc.

Apr 10, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #3,699 of 4,108
[...] It's understandable, but all pro reviews sayin' "Mm, N5ii is cool! 8.5, 8.7, etc." You haven't even tried to use it for a while. Try to use it in a different way from what is your every-day way. Try to turn on bluetooth at least several times and see how it hangs the whole DAP, try to use it for a while and see what happens to side buttons/connectors. [...]
I've always been super-sceptical about the N5ii and I expressed this scepticism multiple times, both publicly (here and in my review) and privately with Andy. That's not because I don't think it's a good product, but because I think it is a good product only potentially. It has too many fundamental flaws that come from either wrong design choices or technological limits. Their impact could be reduced with software updates, but I don't think we will get them. Either way, I hope Cayin will fix all (or at least most) of the current issues. I actually like the product and I would like to see it work as it should.

Apr 10, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #3,700 of 4,108
Either way, I hope Cayin will fix all (or at least most) of the current issues. I actually like the product and I would like to see it work as it should.
Don't we all :frowning2:

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #3,701 of 4,108
Since we all still hanging for the fix, just to share a test case seems not mentioned before, correct me if duplicate

@CayinSupport
Did a digital transport from N5II to iDAC-6 with USB OTG and surprised the play/pause react instant as it should be
Hope the case give some clue, may be the DSP buffer can't clear quick enough when doing PO/LO ?

all in all, still feel like N5II/S the DAP with best sound quality in its price range,

Apr 11, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #3,702 of 4,108
Since we all still hanging for the fix, just to share a test case seems not mentioned before, correct me if duplicate

@CayinSupport
Did a digital transport from N5II to iDAC-6 with USB OTG and surprised the play/pause react instant as it should be
Hope the case give some clue, may be the DSP buffer can't clear quick enough when doing PO/LO ?

all in all, still feel like N5II/S the DAP with best sound quality in its price range,
Have you had the chance to demo the DX120? It's worth a listen and I'd love to hear your opinion about it vs the N5ii.

Personally I think it's a comparable SQ wise.

Though with Wi-Fi/Bluetooth + android on the N5ii still provides the N5ii with more utility. For me anyways.

Apr 13, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #3,704 of 4,108
Seanwee;
That is a pretty favorable comment on the DX120. Sounding like the N5II is a good thing.
I didn't exactly say that it sounds like the N5ii. Just that it's on par.

Although I think that you may be able to change the DX120's sound signature to mirror or come close to the N5ii's signature with its 5 sound settings and 5 digital filters.

(Both are better than the DX150 stock for reference :p )

Apr 14, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #3,705 of 4,108
Oh boy - this is really sad.
I was coming back here because I was hoping to get in contact with Cayin about my device - but since a lot of people here complain about a lack of support I guess I'll skip that.

I have emailed Cayin directly and since they simply would not respond (not at all) I tried it via advancedmp3players where I bought the dap. They were very helpful, but I was a month late - warranty time was expired. D'oh!
However they offered to make contact with Cayin for me - not a word since (of course).

So just to give potential byuers the whole picture:
here's another customer who loves the sound of the device but is annoyed by the play/pause-delay and some other bugs that I am able to solve, but that keep returning. So after a bit over a year I realized that I don't want a (still rather) costly decvice that is not working properly.
And after my unsuccesful attempts to get support from the manufacturer I decided to ditch the dap and go back to iBasso. I was never using the BT and WiFi features, so I gues it'll be the DX120...

So my rather biased opinion is: don't buy from Cayin since they don't seem to care for their customers.

And if anyone from germany or around the bend still wants to buy a well maintained N5II (boy I really advertised than one well, didn't I ? :grin:) feel free to pm me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back