1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by PinkyPowers, Oct 14, 2017.
First

Back
236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245
247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256
Next

Last
  1. JoshG1217
    R6 and N5iis are both $499 on Amazon. R6 pro is 799

2. Dobrescu George
  3. JoshG1217
    Nice! Really curious about sound. Any comparison is helpful.

4. NicholasS
    Despite on sound quality I totally not advice to go for N5ii because this device is a hell from usability/performance point of view, especially after several months of its usage. Never in my whole life was so disappointed in a device purchase like this time comparing price/profit.

5. seanwee
    I've used it for over a year and there have not been any slowdowns.

And yes, it's slower compared to your typical flagship smartphone but that's to be expected.

MyPants likes this.
  6. originalsnuffy
    George,
    Seems to me you can compare to the R6 even if the price is different. Cayin does not have impedance issues for example. I had the R3 once and I thought it was underwhelming for sound. Supposedly the R6 sounds better.

The Cayin sounds great in my opinion. The android is laggy and buggy, but restarting the machine fixes problems when they occur.
    The USB access to the microSD cards is quite buggy and slow when it comes to file transfers.

seanwee likes this.
  7. NicholasS
    Slow UI, weak bluetooth connection, playback delays on pause/play, rare firmware/software updates, only 1 SD slot works at a time, weak side buttons after months of usage, software errors like (audio has stopped accidentally), weak plastic-wrapped connectors, etc. And that's not a full list. I don't compare it to a smartphone (that I don't have btw).

8. seanwee
    I agree that the pause/play delay is annoying. But otherwise I've not had any problems. Hardware wise the buttons are still fine and so are the connectors.

Have you checked your sd cards for errors? I've heard that some have issues but I've used 6-7 cards so far on the N5ii and none had any issues.

9. somnarium
    Long time user of N5ii. No hardware issues. Sometimes have second SD card slot unrecognised but a restart usually fixes this (2 x 400gb). Where it persists swapping the cards and restart will resolve.

Not ideal, but for me not a show stopper as the sound of this device is excellent for the price. In my humble opinion...

No streaming or Bluetooth for me so simple use case. Also don't need lightning UI.

Just want to add my experience with the device into the mix. If lost, I would definitely buy again.

10. seanwee
    I agree. Though, I'd try a new device if my N5ii gets lost or goes kaput but that's just me :wink:

The price/sound of the N5ii is somewhat stopping me from jumping up a tier as I'll have to spend 3-4x more to get an appreciable jump in sq.

Maybe next year if Cayin decides to debut the long overdue N6 refresh

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    MyPants, Saltyfatboy and somnarium like this.
  11. thedud3
    I have a N5IIs since a few months and i must say i'm quite happy with it so far. I chose N5IIs over N5II mainly for the 2Gb RAM instead of 1, and especially after reading several user complaints of slowness with N5II UI. And the better screen also made me chose this model. The 64Gb internal (instead of 32) wasn't that much important to me as i was not much concerned with streaming apps and the 2 SD slots were already perfect for my own planned usage. The leather case included with the N5IIs finally was kinda cherry on the cake ^^

Now considering these N5IIs specs and differences with N5II, here are my final thoughts :

PROS:

- Sound is excellent
    - Autonomy is great (+/- 10 hours)
    - Screen is really nice (although i must mention that direct sunlight is definitely not your friend, especially with that dark UI)
    - Design is pure, volume knob, buttons, SD slots and USB/jack connectors are still working fine so far (except of course for the play/pause delay - but that's SW issue - that i'll mention below)
    - Although i'll also mention it in my CONS below, plus many users are complaining about it, the internal UI is not so bad and can even be really nice for basic usage or for some specific features (scanning library is very fast, audio priority mode + smart cleaning are cool features, the 3 player skins should cover all needs/tastes, i really like the neat Vu-Meter and scrolling lyrics support through .lrc files is rather good too)
    - Variety of supported audio formats is great

CONS :

- That 1-2s. play/pause delay (promised to be solved but still not yet / poke @CayinSupport) is quite disappointing for such a high-price product. Sure you're not supposed to be playing with play/pause all the time and rather just be listening to your songs. But still, a non-instantly responsive UI for such basic function is definitely a major issue IMHO.
    - There are a few bad UI design (duplicates menus re idle/sleep or menus not clear...) and also the constant re-drawing of album art is rather annoying, but the good point is that there are many other apps that can handle all of this way better (PowerAmp, Onkyo HF Player, RocketPlayer...). Besides many of these 3rd part apps also includes interesting missing functions in Cayin Audio app (like eg crossfading) or better handling / more options of eg EQ. There's also the random play which works through all playlists if you put all of them in the same folder (instead of just the one you select) that i personally don't like. But here again, 3rd parts apps can save you ^^
    - Bluetooth distance with no cuts seems very small (i personally had several disconnects over 2 meters)

I'm not using the DAC capability so i cannot really tell for this part.

Also sorry that i cannot compare with R6 nor ZX300 that i don't have, but i hope this post might help any N5II/N5IIs potential future owner anyway :wink:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Pete7 and noverbeck like this.
  12. fokta
    20190406_155244.jpg

User for 2 months... buy used one, because waiting for launching of other DAP.
    Consider manage to control Hiss for sensitive IEM that i used.
    Sound quality is Good especially in Balanced output.
    UI IMO consider good compare to other same segment...
    Streaming capability consider good, Pop noise can show up due to wifi.
    A bit difficult for big hand like me to type..
    UAPP can't utilize Maximum such as DSD downscaling, USB bug, HiRes file unrecognizable, and unable to use physical play/stop button etc...

dispite all bug, clunky etc, this baby can drive Solaris better in mid segment, with managable (almost no hiss)....
    I reqoute Headfier here "N5iiS is underated mid DAP"

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  13. Colors
    I bought this DAP to play my TIDAL offline playlist on shuffle. It does its purpose.

If you’re planning on using it for WiFi, streaming, BT or extensive use of UI, it’s a horrible DAP.

But the SQ is excellent for the price and it’s Spotify/TIDAL offline compatible which is rare. Balanced SQ is especially good and the volume roller is fun.

MyPants and Dobrescu George like this.
  14. Andykong
    Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
    fokta likes this.
  15. ElKabong
    I use mine sparingly, i switch off between my Plenue R and my Fiio X5iii, all get some love, i like the sound signature of all three, but the PR affords me the use of jeteffect 7, which i like.

First

Back
236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245
247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256
Next

Last