Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #196 of 2,515
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #198 of 2,515
Aug 7, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #201 of 2,515
I've never understood the point of tube amps in this type of application. I use them when I play guitar because of the way they react when overloaded but since I don't want to turn a DAP up to the point of distortion, what are the advantages of tubes vs solid state?

Surely you've tried plugging your guitar into a tube amp, right? It's a different ball game compared to ss...

Aug 7, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #203 of 2,515
Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #206 of 2,515
No, no. I was just saying that I use tube amps with guitars because the tubes distort in a pleasant way but I am not sure of the benefits of tubes in this application (amplifying recorded music).

Not the best orator when it comes to explaining it, but ime, it's like the difference between ss vs listening to weezer's blue album -- there's like a warm soft glow to the lower half and the highs feel smoother. If anything, it will definitely be less clinical... so for personal taste ymmv. I only have one tube dap (rma right now) and the rest are ss.

Cayin did well by giving non tube amping options, which I think is brilliant. Anyhow there's plenty of ss daps out right now. Always been.

Aug 7, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #208 of 2,515
The color :rolling_eyes:... anyway, it’s free

Looks like Dignis case/design? Green definitely stands out, maybe cause most of DAP cases are either black or brown? The only other stock green lather case I have see is on SP2000.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #209 of 2,515
As someone looking for my first “real” dap, who only cares about using local flac files, sound quality and a smooth and intuitive UI focused on just getting to the music, this is sounding amazing. I hope that the audio quality is the major focus here, given that it does away with the fancy screens, WiFi and streaming of other midrange players.
On paper this sounds like exactly what I’m looking for. I love that it can be a home dac/amp as well to use with my laptop.

I’d like to see reviews before I buy it...if I wait for reviews will it be available to buy after they’re out or before? I’m in the US.

I’m on the edge of buying a wm1a for all the reasons I listed above but now I wonder if I should hold off and see how the reviews of this device go...

Can someone interpret this sentence from the announcement write up? “The R&D difficulties are in proportional to the entry level position of N3Pro.” Not sure what they’re trying to convey here. May be an issue of translation to English?

Lastly, I really hope this isn’t just a gimmick. At the $500 I’m just kind of dubious that it’ll sound excellent in solid state and tube mode. And the caveats about tube mode potentially having disruptions when the dap is held and moved or put on a table, etc makes me nervous.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back