Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Jul 25, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #16 of 2,515
I think those are play controls below the wheel in the photo. Ports for wires are usually on a different side, away from the buttons and knobs, etc.

If the N3 Pro really does use tube amplification, that pretty much rules out a balanced circuit. But also, my interest in the device just shot up exponentially. What a unique DAP to release in the mid-tier range. After all, Cayin does love their tubes...

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #17 of 2,515
I've never understood the point of tube amps in this type of application. I use them when I play guitar because of the way they react when overloaded but since I don't want to turn a DAP up to the point of distortion, what are the advantages of tubes vs solid state?

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #18 of 2,515
Tubes can have a very nice, warm sound. They tend to be forgiving of lesser source material. When tubes distort they typically do so in a way that does not sound bad. I think the NAD soft clipping circuit was designed to emulate tubes.

Well if it is an Android device maybe Cayin might offer an aggressive trade in program for discontinued product owners....just saying....I really like the sound of the N5II but some promised software / firmware items never arrived including stable USB for multiple uses. Great hardware though.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #19 of 2,515
Looks like two headphone jacks to me. Implies balanced and single ended.
If this is an Android unit, lets hope Cayin commits to full support this go round. What that would mean is that if a feature is promoted; it is delivered.
The i5 and N5II did not have that particular experience.

I suppose they could go with proprietary Linux and save android for all models up the line.

I hope it isn't android tbh, would love a dedicated player that works like N8, leave the n6ii to do the android stuff

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #24 of 2,515
I just chanced the thread title and upload a new N3Pro poster to post #1, you'll find a lot of feature and information on the poster if you look careful.

I'll provide more detail tomorrow and over the weekend. Stay tuned.

I hope it isn't android tbh, would love a dedicated player that works like N8, leave the n6ii to do the android stuff

Glad to tell you that N3Pro is not Android based, it is a dedicated player with a lot of goodies. I know you'll like it very much.

N8 is Android, isn't?

N8 is not Android based.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 30, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #25 of 2,515
Well, it looks like rumors were true! Very impressive specs. It's like a mini N8, which is TOTL, except this costs a lot less. Maybe one day, I'll get to read how Cayin did that. Very curious to see listening impressions as well. My interest is very piqued now, though I am really looking for a DAP that can drive a headphone like the Aeolus with enough current.

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #26 of 2,515
Looks promising I hope it will be soon in EU dealers

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #27 of 2,515
Glad to tell you that N3Pro is not Android based, it is a dedicated player with a lot of goodies. I know you'll like it very much.

N8 is not Android based.

Will the OS have a search function and manual adding of song to the play queue?

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #28 of 2,515
Looks promising. Maybe I need to sell some gear to get this one.

Jul 30, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #29 of 2,515
What is the ouput power for single ended ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back