Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Jul 24, 2020 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,518
Cayin has just announced N3Pro
  • Dual AK4493 DAC
  • Fully balanced design with 4.4mm and 3.5mm phone out
  • Powerful 800mW@32Ω Balanced Headphone output
  • Tube and Solid Dual Timbre (3.5mm single-ended only)
  • Triode and Ultra-linear Mode (3.5mm Tube only)
  • 2 line out, 2 digital out, USB DAC
  • Hi-Res Wireless DAC

Price: US$479
Availability: Mid August (vary among countries)

Kind reminder:
The USB DAC function is implemented in Asynchronous transmission mode. we cannot provide real-time isochronous USB mode for USB DAC function. If lipsync is a deal breaker to you, we are sorry. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 2,518
Working hard on preparing the English material, please stay tuned. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 24, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 2,518
Oh I dunno. I'd rather see the N3 Pro really make the single-ended out really great, instead of putting all the effort into the balanced circuit, while the SE is just an afterthought. But if Cayin can make both outs sound the same, with the only difference being a power increase, then a balanced N3 Pro would be cool. I want to say there's more of an expectation that the SE out should be the priority for entry-level devices, but that's just my preconception.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 2,518
Oh I dunno. I'd rather see the N3 Pro really make the single-ended out really great, instead of putting all the effort into the balanced circuit, while the SE is just an afterthought. But if Cayin can make both outs sound the same, with the only difference being a power increase, then a balanced N3 Pro would be cool. I want to say there's more of an expectation that the SE out should be the priority for entry-level devices, but that's just my preconception.
Well for me it's a selfish wish. I like the original N3 (apart from the buttons) and I have other DAPs I'm happy with too, but none of them have a balanced output. I want something with a balanced output to use with my Sennheiser 'phones. Without one, I'd have a hard time convincing myself to upgrade from the N3 (or would I?)

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 2,518
Well for me it's a selfish wish. I like the original N3 (apart from the buttons) and I have other DAPs I'm happy with too, but none of them have a balanced output. I want something with a balanced output to use with my Sennheiser 'phones. Without one, I'd have a hard time convincing myself to upgrade from the N3 (or would I?)
If you're talking about a Senn like the HD650, then I doubt even a balanced circuit at the N3's size will be sufficient, but I'd love to see Cayin prove me wrong! The 58X is far more likely be efficient enough to be driven by the N3 Pro, especially if it is balanced. Any of us would need a huge step up in power (and price) to really drive any of the 6XX series from a portable. Something like the N6ii would provide the right kind of amplification. I guess we'll see what they're planning soon. I just like to keep my expectations in check so that I'm positively surprised.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 2,518
And why not take the module configuration from the N6ii to the N3 Pro? We could be talking about a mid-range dap with a unique feature, since more of the same would make the N3 Pro one more Dap in the catalog, of course, it would not have the same Dac chips that its older brother has incorporated, but many options would be opened (CS43198, ES9218P, AK 4493, among others), only my humble opinion

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #13 of 2,518
If you're talking about a Senn like the HD650, then I doubt even a balanced circuit at the N3's size will be sufficient, but I'd love to see Cayin prove me wrong! The 58X is far more likely be efficient enough to be driven by the N3 Pro, especially if it is balanced. Any of us would need a huge step up in power (and price) to really drive any of the 6XX series from a portable. Something like the N6ii would provide the right kind of amplification. I guess we'll see what they're planning soon. I just like to keep my expectations in check so that I'm positively surprised.
Not the HD650, the HD660S so 150 Ω instead of 300 Ω (similar SPL). Should be doable shouldn't it?

Jul 24, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 2,518
Looks like two headphone jacks to me. Implies balanced and single ended.
If this is an Android unit, lets hope Cayin commits to full support this go round. What that would mean is that if a feature is promoted; it is delivered.
The i5 and N5II did not have that particular experience.

I suppose they could go with proprietary Linux and save android for all models up the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back