Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 16, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #901 of 2,518
What IEMs/headphones are you using in comparison?

Yes, I agree as well. There is definitely a difference in tonality, with DX160 having a leaner mids/vocals while N3Pro having a fuller sound with more body. Also, typical of many Cayin DAPs, bass has a little more impact with a stronger and more articulate punch. In terms of technical performance (soundstage, dynamics, layering), when you compare DX160 bal output vs N3Pro bal SS - DX has a wider soundstage and better dynamics. BUT once you switch N3Pro to single ended Tube output (UL mode) and compare it to DX160 bal output (which is SS), to my ears (using EE Odin) the soundstage expansion of N3Pro is even a bit wider and dynamics/layering is on par.

I know I sound like a broken record cause quite a few people pinged me asking if I'm sure that "single ended" output of N3Pro that good? We embedded into our mind that BAL has to be superior to SE, while N3Pro tube output (as well as N6ii w/E01) is a good reminder that it is all about implementation, not the label of BAL vs SE.
I absolutely agree, the same thing happened with the N8 which has a superior SE output vs its balanced output. Which is undertandable given the fact that the entire distinguishing factor of the N8 and N3PRO is the tube outputs.

As i have said before in the N8 thread, I feel Cayin would have released a SE only dap if they could. The balanced output is just there to tick a box so that people dont whine about it.

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #902 of 2,518
Mine does it when I add music by navigating the folder with too many levels of sub folders in it. The exact number of levels when this will occur depends on how many songs you have. At the moment with 9000 songs in my card, I can have 3 levels of sub folder without encountering this issue.
This is the biggest issue with the N3PRO right now. Cayin should get this fixed ASAP as this will render the dap practically unusable for users who nagivate by folder like myself.

Sep 16, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #903 of 2,518
Sliiiightly off-topic, but are MD players and the MD ecosystem, if you will, worth getting into as a complete newbie with no prior experience? I only came of age during the iPod era, so DAPs are all I've ever known.

I gave up the MD ecosystem a decade ago, been using a lots of mp3s, and DAPs ( AK120, Cowon P1, ZX300, DX160 ). Although DAP's sound quality is improving day by day, but none of it can give such a fleshy vocal like N3Pro do, and it just reminds me about the sound of MD players.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #906 of 2,518
Ok, 'got my N3 Pro two days ago.

I tested it with my Grado RS2e (with G-cush) and Campfire Andromeda Special Edition: Gold.

I mainly used it with the tube in UltraLinear mode and compared them with the Triode mode as well as solid-state mode.

I still have to compare it to A&K's SR25 but that'll be for the full review.

That said, I also tested the 3.5mm line out with my Schiit Vali 2 tube amp.

Since I was disappointed with AKSP1000M especially in terms of price/performance, I was curious what would the solid-state output be with this AKM DAC.

I was pleasantly surprised as I found it to be as articulate as what I remembered hearing from the SP1000M (particularly how clear the mids / vocals are) without being too dry.

The tube modes most definitively bring something, something many people would pay a lot for. And that's in Triode mode. In UltraLinear mode, this blows away pretty much all DAPs I had — though, again, I still need to compare it to A&K's SR25 side by side.

In line out with my Schiit Vali 2 tube amp, it definitely felt like an improvement over the SR25 plugged to it — i.e. from memory.

I believe that Cayin definitively stuck a very nice balance with their choice of DAC and tube modes.

My personal favourite is UltraLinear, all the way, no question.

Not to forget either, the interface is spot-on and easy to use.

That's it for me, the rest will be for the review.

PS Someone PLEASE make a decent case for this wonderful DAP!!! Dignis, Miter, HELLO???

Ok, review will take a little longer to get published but in the meantime, here's an ultra-quick comparison with A&K's SR25:
  • N3 Pro SS vs SR25: I prefer the SR25 by a small margin;
  • N3 Pro in Tube mode vs SR25 SS: I prefer the N3 Pro by a mile, everything opens up.

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #908 of 2,518
What IEMs/headphones are you using in comparison?

Yes, I agree as well. There is definitely a difference in tonality, with DX160 having a leaner mids/vocals while N3Pro having a fuller sound with more body. Also, typical of many Cayin DAPs, bass has a little more impact with a stronger and more articulate punch. In terms of technical performance (soundstage, dynamics, layering), when you compare DX160 bal output vs N3Pro bal SS - DX has a wider soundstage and better dynamics. BUT once you switch N3Pro to single ended Tube output (UL mode) and compare it to DX160 bal output (which is SS), to my ears (using EE Odin) the soundstage expansion of N3Pro is even a bit wider and dynamics/layering is on par.

I know I sound like a broken record cause quite a few people pinged me asking if I'm sure that "single ended" output of N3Pro that good? We embedded into our mind that BAL has to be superior to SE, while N3Pro tube output (as well as N6ii w/E01) is a good reminder that it is all about implementation, not the label of BAL vs SE.

Most 4.4 do sound better than their 3.5 counterparts. But not the N3 pro :) UL mode especially to me, is just so intoxicating to listen to.

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #909 of 2,518
I gave up the MD ecosystem a decade ago, been using a lots of mp3s, and DAPs ( AK120, Cowon P1, ZX300, DX160 ). Although DAP's sound quality is improving day by day, but none of it can give such a fleshy vocal like N3Pro do, and it just reminds me about the sound of MD players.

MD players were very cool, I miss my sharp md-ds70.

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #910 of 2,518
man I just bought mine , regret the decision after reading your comments

don't regret buying 160. it's a landmark P2P ratio product. Enjoy it. Pick up a 2nd hand N3Pro in a couple months from the sales forums if you tire of the 160.

Really can't say you made a bad purchase. It's been the most impressive DAP I've owned so far. I own 220 as well and find myself using the 160 more often.

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #911 of 2,518
don't regret buying 160. it's a landmark P2P ratio product. Enjoy it. Pick up a 2nd hand N3Pro in a couple months from the sales forums if you tire of the 160.Really can't say you made a bad purchase. It's been the most impressive DAP I've owned so far. I own 220 as well and find myself using the 160 more often.

I regret selling DX160, it's amazing value for money really and a proof that Cirrus Logic knows how to make DAC that sound damn good when implemented the right way! There is something Sony-ish about its sound, the micro dynamics mainly remind me of this as well as the overall tone.

Now the N3 Pro has power and tubes, but no streaming.
Complimentary :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #912 of 2,518
don't regret buying 160. it's a landmark P2P ratio product. Enjoy it. Pick up a 2nd hand N3Pro in a couple months from the sales forums if you tire of the 160.

Really can't say you made a bad purchase. It's been the most impressive DAP I've owned so far. I own 220 as well and find myself using the 160 more often.
Thank you for the kind words of support.I was on the market for best sound quality under 500$ and pulled the plug on dx160 few hours before I found this thread. Than when I saw that people selling their dx160 for this unit ,I got totally confused with my decision lol. Thank you again

Sep 16, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #913 of 2,518
Most 4.4 do sound better than their 3.5 counterparts. But not the N3 pro :) UL mode especially to me, is just so intoxicating to listen to.
Got mine today, still evaluating sound. So far I am impressed.
Btw about the UL, what Is the exact technical difference between the two modes?

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #914 of 2,518
Quick question does Hiby Link on the iPhone support the UAT codec? (Guess not, given Apple is a closed system but on the off chance... if someone has the user manual)

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #915 of 2,518
Thank you for the kind words of support.I was on the market for best sound quality under 500$ and pulled the plug on dx160 few hours before I found this thread. Than when I saw that people selling their dx160 for this unit ,I got totally confused with my decision lol. Thank you again

Dx160 is really nice, I also used mine more than the dx220. Probably the best value for an all rounder. That being said, if I still had one it probably wouldn't get much playtime with me having the n3 pro. But of course we all hear things differently, and this hobbies very subjective. You might not even like the 'tube' sound of the n3p.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back