Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Jan 28, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #2,326 of 2,515
I started investigating a bit more about the N3Pro and I realized that the tube option is not available on the balanced output.
Considering that most of my best cables are balanced I've just abandoned the idea of buying the N3Pro.
Will look into another DAP option with a smooth warm signature. Thanks.

No problem at all, I did mention Ria Penta and N3Pro works out pretty well as a pair in single-ended.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 29, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #2,327 of 2,515
I am not sure if I understand Audiophile PT's question correctly. I assume you are referring to the wonky know that Willdo7474 mentioned.

My issue is that the volume knob does not control the volume, I have no issue with the "gap" and understand its purpose. When I spin the volume knob it doesn't change the volume unless I put either a forward or backward pressure on the knob towards or away from the screen. I've read though this entire thread and have seen others with the same issue, I'm sure it's not a common problem, but other folks have had it happen. It's something I would've sent in for warranty repair, but as I said I bought second hand.

Jan 29, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #2,328 of 2,515
My issue is that the volume knob does not control the volume, I have no issue with the "gap" and understand its purpose. When I spin the volume knob it doesn't change the volume unless I put either a forward or backward pressure on the knob towards or away from the screen. I've read though this entire thread and have seen others with the same issue, I'm sure it's not a common problem, but other folks have had it happen. It's something I would've sent in for warranty repair, but as I said I bought second hand.
I start to have similar problem for a couple of months. Since I m using R01 and DX240 mainly now, I don't really bother about using N3Pro much nowadays. But would like to know what s goig wrong there, and if there is any easy fix.

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #2,332 of 2,515
Cool - late reply. So it would be able to use it as kind-a desktop replacement?
Charging cannot be turned off though. Andy said the battery was able to handle that, and this here thread isn’t awash with stories of swollen batteries, but it’s just a thing to keep in mind.

Feb 16, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #2,333 of 2,515
Any tips on how to fix the volume control issue - I tried some compressed air but that didn't help.. anyone tried some electronics cleaner option? I might give that a shot.

It's such a crappy volume control I had a bad feeling about it from the start as it was wobbly

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #2,334 of 2,515
Is the Cayin website hacked? I keep getting unsafe warning from google chrome and the website itself doesn't work properly, no content, no downloads.. I wanted to try N3Pro firmware update. https://en.cayin.cn/download

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #2,335 of 2,515
Is the Cayin website hacked? I keep getting unsafe warning from google chrome and the website itself doesn't work properly, no content, no downloads.. I wanted to try N3Pro firmware update. https://en.cayin.cn/download
You can download the USB driver from Google drive HERE.

We have included the Google Drive link in our announcement, unfortunately our web service provider disappeared and the security certificate of current site is expired. That's why you have received alert. We are in the process of rebuild the website with a new service provider, but it probably will take a while. The COVID has slow down everything.

1627360513598.png

Feb 17, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #2,336 of 2,515
Ah that explains it.. I was looking for the latest Cayin Firmware, not the usb driver.

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #2,338 of 2,515
Ok, I tried to use electronics contact cleaner, gave the volume knob a good rinse and then dried it, unfortunately this didn't help fix it. It seems like it's a mechanical problem... just strange that it happened after i left my n3Pro unused for a month, throughout I've babied it like a glass bell never once dropping or mishandling it.

I don't think I'm able to pull out the knob, so next action might be opening up the n3pro

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #2,339 of 2,515
For those looking for the latest firmware, the European (German) Cayin site is hosted on a different server to the cayin.cn site and therefore does not have the certification issue being encountered.
The downloads page can be found here;
https://cayin.com/downloads/
And the direct link to the latest firmware (v2.3) is here;
https://cayin.com/ca-inhalte/uploads/2021/05/N3Pro-Firmware-V2.3.zip
Although the link is from the German site, your player's language settings should not be affected (I believe Cayin uses universal firmware).

Instructions for upgrading via MicroSD remains the same as previous releases;
Upgrade Instructions
1. Download the firmware zip file from the link above
2. Uncompress the zip file and extract the N3Pro firmware file (update.upt)
3. Copy the N3Pro firmware file into the root directory of the TF card used in your N3Pro
4. Insert the TF card into the device before you proceed
5. Swipe up on the screen to access the player's settings menu. Select 'system settings' then 'system upgrade' and then 'update via micro SD'
6. The system will start the firmware upgrade immediately, you can monitor the process through the Updater progress bar
7. The player will reboot into main menu when the firmware upgrade is completed. Please verify the firmware version number which is displayed under “About” option of pull down menu (swipe down on the screen, select 'About')
8. You can delete the firmware file from the TF card when the update has been verified
9. It is advised to rescan your music after update has been completed

Mar 8, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #2,340 of 2,515
Just got an N3Pro, very neat DAP, but i have an issue. I'm using a 1Tb microsd card with about 25000 flac & DSD files on it, but the N3Pro seems not to index more than 20000 files, (scanning stops at 20000) while it indexes everything on my other DAPs (Fiio x7mk2, Shanling m6pro, A&K a380) , Is this a limitation of the N3Pro firmware ? If so are there any plans to fix it ? advertising the possibility to use 1Tb cards and not being able to index all the files is a big disappointment.
Another bug, when i go to "Songs" and select a song, it plays...another one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back