Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Oct 15, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #2,236 of 2,518
Also, how would this dap compare to the Sony daps such as the WM1A?
They both have unique signatures. the N3Pro is smaller and more pocketable, the sony has better volume controls (by a long shot). you can load custom firmware on the sony which allows you to tweak the signature. sony wins battery battle. N3Pro does 2 different tube configurations. N3Pro is cheaper

Oct 15, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #2,237 of 2,518
They both have unique signatures. the N3Pro is smaller and more pocketable, the sony has better volume controls (by a long shot). you can load custom firmware on the sony which allows you to tweak the signature. sony wins battery battle. N3Pro does 2 different tube configurations. N3Pro is cheaper
What sound quality? I wonder how this would mix with my MDR-Z1R, balanced or unbalanced. or if I am better of getting something else.

Oct 15, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #2,238 of 2,518
I’ll focus on the tube ouput cause that’s why you’d get this…
It sounds okay through the tubes, not great just okay. The z1r requires a bit of juice - which neither the tube output nor the WM1A provide. I prefer the z1r through either a hifiman r2r2000 or through the ifi .micro black label.

The n3pro works better with more efficient iems - out of my mix the Xelento, Noble 8c and UM 3dt sound exceptional.

I tend to use my WM1A as my edc dap - battery life and general warmth is good for commuting. I find i use the N3pro, when i want to ‘listen’ to something ( ditto with the r2r2000).

Oct 15, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #2,239 of 2,518
What sound quality? I wonder how this would mix with my MDR-Z1R, balanced or unbalanced. or if I am better of getting something else.
I'm 58 have been to over 100 live shows during my life and spent 25 years around sirens and loud piercing noises and for that reason I feel unqualified to talk about sound

Oct 15, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #2,240 of 2,518
How would this dap pair with the Sony MDR-Z1R? Has anyone paired those two? Also, how would this dap compare to the Sony daps such as the WM1A?
It sounds okay through the tubes, not great just okay. The z1r requires a bit of juice - which neither the tube output nor the WM1A provide. I prefer the z1r through either a hifiman r2r2000 or through the ifi .micro black label.

The n3pro works better with more efficient iems - out of my mix the Xelento, Noble 8c and UM 3dt sound exceptional.

I tend to use my WM1A as my edc dap - battery life and general warmth is good for commuting. I find i use the N3pro, when i want to ‘listen’ to something ( ditto with the r2r2000).

I concur with comment from Gilles in principle, and I would even go further by saying the balanced output of N3Pro can only barely handle the the Sony MDR-Z1R, probably sound good on simple and non-demanding music, but the soundstage will be congested and the dynamic will be compressed when you played more dynamic or complex (full band or orchestra) music passage.

On the other hand, if you have a desktop system to pair with the Z1R already and you only use the DAP with Z1R on-the-occasionally, the N3Pro is a decent choice. Rated at 800mW @ 32ohm loading (4.4mm phone out), this is relative powerful and compact DAP at sub-$500 price range. With full size headphone like Z1R, you better consider the tube phone out as a added flavour for certain type of music only.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 15, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #2,241 of 2,518
How would this dap pair with the Sony MDR-Z1R? Has anyone paired those two? Also, how would this dap compare to the Sony daps such as the WM1A?
I would say the neutral bright sound of the N3Pro using Ultralinear tube mode would be good but power becomes an issue.

Compared the the WM1A stock the N3 Pro wins. But with @MrWalkman 's custom firmware the WM1A will blow the N3 Pro out of the water.

That said, Sony daps have laughably poor power output so forget using anything other than iems with them. They will definitely not be a good source for the MDR-Z1R

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #2,242 of 2,518

The N3Pro via tube mode sounds quite good with EE’s new EVO, and VE’s EXT, really, everything I've tried with it, Thummim, VE8, Baldr 2, EE LX, not the last word in resolution, but its value/performance ratio is off the charts.

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #2,243 of 2,518
The N3Pro via tube mode sounds quite good with EE’s new EVO, and VE’s EXT, really, everything I've tried with it, Thummim, VE8, Baldr 2, EE LX, not the last word in resolution, but its value/performance ratio is off the charts.
100% agree that everything (that I tried at least) sounds awesome with the N3Pro!
I am in the middle of the search for an upgrade, since I want a MUCH snappier and bug-free GUI (and the option to stream).
I wish Cayin would release a higher-end DAP with REAL tubes, like the N3Pro...

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #2,244 of 2,518
100% agree that everything (that I tried at least) sounds awesome with the N3Pro!
I am in the middle of the search for an upgrade, since I want a MUCH snappier and bug-free GUI (and the option to stream).

I second that opinion!

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #2,245 of 2,518
Isn’t that the N8?

Oct 17, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #2,247 of 2,518
Doesn’t stream! And the UI isn’t much better or faster than the N3Pro’s.
The N3 Pro is a baby N8 for all intents and purposes. Same soc and same hybrid tube/solid state amp section.

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #2,248 of 2,518
Isn’t that the N8?
No - see below.

The N3 Pro is a baby N8 for all intents and purposes. Same soc and same hybrid tube/solid state amp section.
Agreed that GUI / SoC is the same.
The N8 uses the Korg Nutube (unlike the N3Pro that uses "real" tubes). From everything I read - N8 sound is not as warm as N3Pro, and is closer to solid-state amps...

SO... I am still hoping Cayin will come up with a "better N3Pro" (which N8, IMHO, is not it) :wink:

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #2,249 of 2,518
No - see below.

Agreed that GUI / SoC is the same.
The N8 uses the Korg Nutube (unlike the N3Pro that uses "real" tubes). From everything I read - N8 sound is not as warm as N3Pro, and is closer to solid-state amps...

SO... I am still hoping Cayin will come up with a "better N3Pro" (which N8, IMHO, is not it) :wink:
In my experience with nutubes, they have always outclassed their classic tube counterparts. That said, nutubes are also usually only found in higher end equipment so its not exactly a fair comparison.

And from my experience, the N8 was immediately noticeable as a warm sounding device whereas the N3 is more between warm and neutral warm using the triode tube mode.

Oct 18, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #2,250 of 2,518
And from my experience, the N8 was immediately noticeable as a warm sounding device whereas the N3 is more between warm and neutral warm using the triode tube mode.
Interesting - most impressions I read so far claimed the NuTubes are closer in tonality to solid state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back