Cayin N3Pro DAP: Dual AK4493 and MQA with Vacuum Tube
Sep 28, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #1,186 of 2,515
I need help - I might have got a lemon :frowning2:
Trying to turn it on (brand new unit, freshly charged) - I hold the wheel in for 3-4 seconds and get:

Holding the power (wheel) pressed for a few seconds (until the yellow light goes off), wait 10 seconds, and try to turn it on again... this time I get:

Trying to turn off and on again - this time I get:

What is wrong with my unit?! :frowning2:
Waited for a while week until it arrived, and really dread shipping it back!!!

Hopefully, my N3Pro can be reset somehow?

Tried with and without microSD card, BTW. Same results.

You have entered Firmware upgrade mode, this can be activated by pressing Power and Play/Pause button simultaneously at power off status. Maybe your play/pause button was stucked therefore forced you into the firmware upgrade mode when you press power on. Press the Play/pause key several times, make sure it resume normal operation again, then press and hold down on/off to force the player into power off, and then power on again, this should get you out of the firmware upgrade loop.

If this doesn't work, you should contact your seller and send it back to them, let them work out the service process with the factory.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 29, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #1,187 of 2,515
You have entered Firmware upgrade mode, this can be activated by pressing Power and Play/Pause button simultaneously at power off status. Maybe your play/pause button was stucked therefore forced you into the firmware upgrade mode when you press power on. Press the Play/pause key several times, make sure it resume normal operation again, then press and hold down on/off to force the player into power off, and then power on again, this should get you out of the firmware upgrade loop.

If this doesn't work, you should contact your seller and send it back to them, let them work out the service process with the factory.
Tried that. Several times. Still gets to the "Updater V 1.1" screen... :frowning2:
Andy - can you provide the FW image (same v1.0 or whatever is already on the DAP) that I can try? Maybe flashing a new (identical) FW image would get it out of this loop??

Sep 29, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #1,189 of 2,515
Sep 29, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #1,190 of 2,515
I visited a portable audio shop in Akihabara yesterday. And tried Cayin N3 Pro if my SSDs could operate.
Unfortunately, none of my SSDs could. Optane memory could not be connected. SATASSD(Western Digital Blue)
was connected, but very unstable. It was only 5~6 minutes' listening, so I think it was unconfirmed.
I will not listen to music with microSD. So I need not purchase Cayin N3 Pro. Sigh.

Sep 29, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #1,191 of 2,515
Any options to get USB-C to coaxial RCA digital out - it's a shame Cayin doesn't package a cable for this.. Fiio has one with the M11... I don't want spend 40-80$ on a Cayin's posh digital cable - for a 430$ DAP, for cable packaged in a wooden box. Is there anything out there reasonably priced? Cayin's pricing doesn't make sense on this, there should be a budget functional digital cable - it's one of the basic items.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #1,192 of 2,515
Tried that. Several times. Still gets to the "Updater V 1.1" screen... :frowning2:
Andy - can you provide the FW image (same v1.0 or whatever is already on the DAP) that I can try? Maybe flashing a new (identical) FW image would get it out of this loop??

Not sure it is the same issue as yours but I got into the "Updater V 1.1" screen sometimes. It has happened randomly a few times and the device will freezes. But i managed to get out of it by pressing and holding the power button until it turns off.

Hopefully Cayin can sort out the issue.

Sep 29, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #1,193 of 2,515
Not sure it is the same issue as yours but I got into the "Updater V 1.1" screen sometimes. It has happened randomly a few times and the device will freezes. But i managed to get out of it by pressing and holding the power button until it turns off.
Unfortunately, my N3Pro would not get to this state sometimes but rather ALL the time :frowning2:
I guess I received a lemon... Working on exchanging my unit...

Sep 29, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #1,194 of 2,515
Unfortunately, my N3Pro would not get to this state sometimes but rather ALL the time :frowning2:
I guess I received a lemon... Working on exchanging my unit...

That’s probably the best cause of action after you have exhausted all other remedies possible. I know the feeling when you bought a brand new product which have problems. All the best & hope you get a replacement soon.

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #1,195 of 2,515
Please contact your dealer regarding your N3Pro, this is likely a hardware problem and your dealer should take care of it, if you run into any problem with your dealer, email service@cayin.cn, our service support will take care of you.
Hi Andy

I'm not sure I have the same problem as this but my left channel always have a "WEE" sound when I turn on tube mode (doesn't matter it's UL or Triode), I place it on a table when I was listening to. So I tried to ask the dealer in HK, they told me "its microphone effect which is a physical phenomena, it happens sometime in Vintage tube", so what can I do about it ?

Sep 29, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #1,196 of 2,515
I visited a portable audio shop in Akihabara yesterday. And tried Cayin N3 Pro if my SSDs could operate.
Unfortunately, none of my SSDs could. Optane memory could not be connected. SATASSD(Western Digital Blue)
was connected, but very unstable. It was only 5~6 minutes' listening, so I think it was unconfirmed.
I will not listen to music with microSD. So I need not purchase Cayin N3 Pro. Sigh.

😆 lol, this place does my head in, you know any sd card is basically a ssd.

Sep 29, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #1,197 of 2,515
I received my N3Pro and really like the Triode Mode so far and also love that it is non Android, just drag and drop my recorded vinyl collection and good to go. I did notice the back of the player scratches easily and I should have put the plastic case on immediately and all I did with it is load some albums on my desktop and listened to it once. Green case should be here today.

Sep 29, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #1,198 of 2,515
I received my N3Pro and really like the Triode Mode so far and also love that it is non Android, just drag and drop my recorded vinyl collection and good to go. I did notice the back of the player scratches easily and I should have put the plastic case on immediately and all I did with it is load some albums on my desktop and listened to it once. Green case should be here today.
Any tube noise?

Sep 29, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #1,200 of 2,515
Hi Andy

I'm not sure I have the same problem as this but my left channel always have a "WEE" sound when I turn on tube mode (doesn't matter it's UL or Triode), I place it on a table when I was listening to. So I tried to ask the dealer in HK, they told me "its microphone effect which is a physical phenomena, it happens sometime in Vintage tube", so what can I do about it ?
If it's not a high pitched noise, it's not microphonic noise.
I got the same problem with my N3Pro. When I turned the volume to zero, I heard some hum noise come and go. Andy suggested to get the service with the seller. Andrew @ MusicTeck quickly replaced my unit. Top notch service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back